Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2021 4:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lantzjoey291]
Anybody had a chance to try their super Yoter r yet?

What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
@KoreyKirsch

I think they just released a battery cap that allows for 16650 rechargeable batteries as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:
@KoreyKirsch

I think they just released a battery cap that allows for 16650 rechargeable batteries as well.
View Quote

I have read his reviews. I was curious if early orders have been received by any members yet and what their thoughts are especially if they did any comparison between other thermals. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
@KoreyKirsch

View Quote

They need to release a battery cap that "works" period.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 2:07:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KoreyKirsch] [#4]
@KoreyKirsch

View Quote
One dealer has secured some extended battery caps from Bering. However, Bering at this time does not warranty issues that occur from battery damaged caused by internal, rechargeable batteries. So, it is use at your own risk at this time. I have been testing the same compartment, but Night Goggles will not start selling these until Bering will warranty any issues caused by this.

Originally Posted By ar556223:They need to release a battery cap that "works" period.
View Quote
There have been a few isolated cases of battery cap issues. The majority of times it is caused because a person isn't seating the door properly, and the 2nd main reason is people using CR123 batteries with a plastic lip on the negative side of the battery. This lip (should be trimmed or buy batteries without one) has caused problems with many thermal and NV products over the years. As for the extended cap, I have used it maybe for 50 hours of testing so far and have not had any power interruptions. I am a little concerned over heavy use/abuse over an extended period of time, but so far, so good. I've run Hogsters, Super Hogsters, and Super Yoters or internal batteries and never had the power shut off due to recoil, etc. However if this is a concern, an external battery pack solves that issue.

Originally Posted By Lantzjoey291:

What are your thoughts?
View Quote
I haven't heard a negative response from any of our customers on the Super Yoter along with the many forums I monitor. It is an awesome thermal with an incredible image. The Hogsters are good, the Super Hogster for people who need more distance is very good, the Super Yoter is just plain and simply great. Our night hunting season is just getting started and I have stacked up over 120 coyotes with a Super Yoter already.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KoreyKirsch:
One dealer has secured some extended battery caps from Bering. However, Bering at this time does not warranty issues that occur from battery damaged caused by internal, rechargeable batteries. So, it is use at your own risk at this time. I have been testing the same compartment, but Night Goggles will not start selling these until Bering will warranty any issues caused by this.
View Quote

That genie is out of the bottle. Bering will have to void all non CR123 battery power if they want to try to tow that line because they can't tell if it was an external pack or rechargeable batts with the extended cap.

With the majority of bubbas using the cheapest, most questionable external chinese dollar store battery packs they could find for the last 14months+ I think it's a long shot there will be wide spread issues with the 16650 and extended caps. The units shutdown voltage seems to be right at 2.8vdc and that is 2/10 a volt above over discharge rating of even the cheapest $3 unprotected 16650 cells.
FWIW, there are uncapped & protected 16650 cells to be had on eBay but they give up 500mAh to the unprotected samsungs & will have 10- 15% shorter run time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lantzjoey291:

What are your thoughts?
View Quote

Regarding this...

I've had mine out twice now.  It's a great optic, and really not the same experience as having a PAS-13 on a 240.

Cons:

-The battery cap is a bit unreliable.
-The rubber eye cup is very insecure in terms of attachment.
-The ocular focus turns VERY easily.
-The objective focus is at the front of the optic, so it's not nearly as friendly as a parallax knob on the side.
-The port for external power fits a bit loose when the USB cord is plugged in.
-The Bearing Optics App is glitchy.

Pros:

-Image quality.  I was taken back by it, and identifying berms and steel targets to 800 yards is surprisingly  easy, even the ones in the shade.
-The four zero profiles.  I set them up to provide a different PBZ for distances to 600 yards, and it's definitely repeatable.  
-The user-defined stadiametric rangefinder.  This ability to program for anatomy holds is what sold me on the SY.

Beyond that, it's a thermal sight.  The edges of the display distort a little when you're centered up on the eyepiece.  The digital zoom is what it is, though the great picture at 3X improves the outcome.  I found the buttons and menus to be fairly intuitive, so it's easy to use.  It eats batteries just as one would expect, so I suggest investing in a bucket of rechargeable 123s and an external battery that mounts on the picatinny rail.  Those rechargeable 123s will buy you a couple hours of play time in the cold if you're not running any extra features and put it to sleep when you can.  I haven't tested the battery pack for longevity.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the SY.  The cons are all "be aware of this" issues with simple end user solutions, though I'd expect those things to have been thought out a little better on such a product.  The battery cap is the most troubling issue.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
My yoter has only taken two dogs so far but I think it’s safe to say that I agree with most of what has been said by others.

I don’t have any issue with the focus adjustments and that battery door is a non issue using surefire 123a’s and a rail mounted Anker 10,000 battery pack, this pack can power the yoter for, well I don’t know as it doesn’t even register discharge after a couple nights of hunting.

I do not like having to mess with the usb-c power just simply for the fact that it is unplugged multiple times a night between stands. Just worries me that it will wear out the port and so much time but I also have to assume it is designed to be used this way and should be fine in the end.

I would like the option of the extended battery door.

My only actual complaint how the yoter reacts when connecting to external power. If I don’t press the button on my external battery pack to “wake” the battery to supply output, the yoter will hard shutdown / power off at when the usb-c is plugged in.

Thankfully it seems to not negatively effect the unit, but I doubt that it’s ideal!

Another grip that hopefully an update could fix also relates to connecting to external power…. If you power the Yoter up while connected to external power, it will not revert to internal power supply when the external power usb is removed.
The instructions explain that it should be powered on Before connecting the external pack, maybe there is a good reason for this, but if not I would prefer the yoter always simply revert to internal power vs. the abrupt shutdown when external power is removed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
So....resurrecting an old thread, mainly so others can't accuse me of not using the Search function......

How does the Super Yoter R compare to more "established" thermals? Namely, the IR-Hunter? I can find used 60mm Mk3 IR hunters for maybe 1k - 1.5k more than the SY, but how close are the 2? On paper, the hardware looks similar, and I'd rather buy brand new from a reputable dealer than used if I can.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to know also.

So many issues with thermals. Not all of them are catastrophic, but there are plenty to go around, and missing even one opportunity after spending thousands of dollars on a thermal scope should not happen IMO.

My primary coyote season is relatively short, and I value my money (yes, I'm a poor) and spending $5-10k on something that may not serve it's intended purpose is hard for me.

I'm a solid no on the N-Vision Halo XRF due to issues and price. And a no on the older LR version which is too pricey for not having an incorporated laser rangefinder.

I'm a maybe on the Pulsar Trail 2 XP50 due to it's known issues - waiting to see if they have finally been resolved. If so, I'm leaning this way.

Super Hogster doesn't meet my quality/range needs.

Super Yoter R checks many of the boxes, but I would prefer an incorporated laser rangefinder with a constant scan mode, even though it costs less than the Pulsar.

The REAP-IR 60 is more than double the price of the Super Yoter and still has no laser rangefinder - that's a no way.

High quality sight picture and a long warranty are nice, but I need a thermal that will consistently help me make shots. Judging distance on snow covered terrain with a thermal sight is challenging. Accurately judging the range is critical to making the shot. I don't want to add a standalone rangefinder to a rifle, but that may be the solution. A generous warranty doesn't help me in the field.

I'm not ashamed to ask a lot in return for my hard-earned money.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By whamburglar:
So....resurrecting an old thread, mainly so others can't accuse me of not using the Search function......

How does the Super Yoter R compare to more "established" thermals? Namely, the IR-Hunter? I can find used 60mm Mk3 IR hunters for maybe 1k - 1.5k more than the SY, but how close are the 2? On paper, the hardware looks similar, and I'd rather buy brand new from a reputable dealer than used if I can.
View Quote
I didn't see this in the NV Basics section, sorry. Well, you just said one very important thing. You can find it for maybe it used for a similar price as the SY new. The SY has a 4 year, transferrable warranty. Trijicons are great thermals with the very reputable BAE core so those are pluses.

The MK3 60 has more base magnification and you will be able to PID at greater distances. The image can be a little grainy at times, but that is just a small picky complaint of mine. Maybe I am not good enough at adjusting the image, but the image is very good. It is also a tank when it comes to weight and size. Some people will call that build quality etc, but it is very noticeable. The Yoter's image is no slouch. From my experience, I believe it sees less fluctuations based on environmental factors such as humidity, snow, etc. I didn't say it isn't impacted. What I mean by this is I see the image quality of the MK3 impacted more by these factors. A MK3 in 20% humidity looks much different than in 95% humidity. Now, the SY is impacted as well, but the impact seems less. In really tough conditions, I have seen the SY with a better image than the MK3, but this is not the norm. For those that want nothing to do with Chinese parts, the SY has an iRay sensor in it (which is a Chinese company). It is actually one of the reasons the image isn't as impacted by the humidity. If I don't write that, someone will say I didn't include it.

In my opinion the SY wins on price, warranty, size, weight, and overall features as it has WiFi, video recording, color palettes, and color reticles and more. The MK3 wins on PID, overall image (especially under better conditions), and durability and has more flexibility in image adjustments. Night Goggles/TNVC carries both Trijicon as well as Bering Optics and can help you with these or other options.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mojo700:I'm a maybe on the Pulsar Trail 2 XP50 due to it's known issues - waiting to see if they have finally been resolved. If so, I'm leaning this way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mojo700:I'm a maybe on the Pulsar Trail 2 XP50 due to it's known issues - waiting to see if they have finally been resolved. If so, I'm leaning this way.
If you are referring to the POI issues from the Trail series, the Thermion, Thermion 2, and Trail 2 seem to be much better in this regard.  I experienced the POI issues with the Trail series so I not trying to make light of it. However, I don't know of a thermal product that someone isn't saying there is a POI shift. My belief on this is part of the reason is user-error, part is target issues, part is unrealistic expectations of the technology, and there is part that are legitimate issues.

Originally Posted By Mojo700:High quality sight picture and a long warranty are nice, but I need a thermal that will consistently help me make shots. Judging distance on snow covered terrain with a thermal sight is challenging. Accurately judging the range is critical to making the shot. I don't want to add a standalone rangefinder to a rifle, but that may be the solution. A generous warranty doesn't help me in the field.
Judging distance at night isn't easy. It does get better over time. I have shot nearly 600 coyotes in the last two winters without one. For me, it is a nice to have but I get why many want one. Bering has announced they are planning on releasing a LRF version of the Super Hogster and the Super Yoter. They are saying Fall as their estimate. Whether it will be the SH first and the SY later, or both at the same time is the big question. The price appears to be around a $300-400 price increase over their current models.

As for the Pulsars, the Trail 2 already has a LRF and Pulsar announced a Thermion LRF at Show Show as well, so more options are coming. More and more thermal manufacturers seem to be trying to address this need.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 4:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KoreyKirsch] [#12]
Originally Posted By dzhitshard:Bering will have to void all non CR123 battery power if they want to try to tow that line because they can't tell if it was an external pack or rechargeable batts with the extended cap.
View Quote
Overcharged, internal rechargeable batteries can  leak, catch on fire, or explode. If external, not a big deal. If internal, there should be some pretty obvious signs. This is why there is an inherently greater risk to the internal batteries as they can damage the inside of the scope. Bering has seen this in their NV products and is the reason they are being very cautious about this. Hopefully, this issue will never arise, and everyone will have nothing but great success using them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By whamburglar:
View Quote

Subscribe to this guys channel and watch the videos going back to June 2021 (we had an early version of the Super Yoter-R).

In some of the videos you’ll see side by side footage of the two scopes your contemplating.

Here is an example of one:

First Coyote & Hog of JANUARY 2022
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 5:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demphna2] [#14]
Originally Posted By Pig_Popper:

Subscribe to this guys channel and watch the videos going back to June 2021 (we had an early version of the Super Yoter-R).

In some of the videos you'll see side by side footage of the two scopes your contemplating.

Here is an example of one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-s87hYJcDc
View Quote
That's a skewed comparison since he's using a DVR on the Trijicon. Through the eyepiece of both would be a little better if you're looking to compare image.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
That's a skewed comparison since he's using a DVR on the Trijicon. Through the eyepiece of both would be a little better if you're looking to compare image.
View Quote

It is something in the absence of nothing

The super Yoter hangs image wise as it’s newer tech but the triji for its age is no slouch
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#16]
https://youtu.be/o200rCT2Io0

https://youtu.be/nRBN-nbh2s4
I wish there were some through the eyepiece video of the super yoter. Maybe somebody can help with that.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Super Yoter-R 35mm 2.0 base mag hunting footage and range report

Bering Optics Super Yoter R 35mm Review and Hog Hunts - 640 res , 12 micron , 2.0 base magnification
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Hoping on here since I just got a super Yoter.

Works great but the low battery indicator starts blinking after 5 minutes of use.  This is with the cr123's that came with the unit, and a new pair of Energizer batteries.  I tried some streamlight cr123's and the unit showed 3/4 full charge and is now less than half after a few minutes...

I might leave it on and see how long it lasts.

This is my first thermal and I am very impressed other than weird battery indicator.  This scope is loaded with options.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Saber7:
Hoping on here since I just got a super Yoter.

Works great but the low battery indicator starts blinking after 5 minutes of use.  This is with the cr123's that came with the unit, and a new pair of Energizer batteries.  I tried some streamlight cr123's and the unit showed 3/4 full charge and is now less than half after a few minutes...

I might leave it on and see how long it lasts.

This is my first thermal and I am very impressed other than weird battery indicator.  This scope is loaded with options.
View Quote

The cr123s included with mine showed a little less than full initially and 1/2 charge after a few minutes use, but lasted ~3 hours.
Haven’t used any others since I use a TRB.
I’ve never used 123s in anything with a battery indicator but maybe it’s their discharge curve?
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks glad it's not just me. I ordered the extended cap and larger 16650 batteries to try.  If I don't like that then I will be running a external battery pack too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top