Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2018 9:28:08 AM EDT
My son just turned 7 and I would like to get him his first rifle.  I would like it to be .22 caliber.  I'm thinking about a M&P 15-22, but wondering if a bolt action might be a better choice.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I started both of my boys out with an old single shot bolt action. It's easier to teach marksmanship with a single shot. Kids will rapid fire with a semi-auto and not focus on the basics.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Cricket .22.  start them with irons.  I paid 127$ at a big box.  Let's me work on form, position building etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought my son a Savage Rascal. Single shot .22. Great Trigger and decent iron sights. Been a perfect starter for him, he's 6.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Bolt-action will force them to take their time and focus on the fundamentals, trigger/muzzle discipline, sight picture, stance, et. al..  It will also give you more opportunity to teach.  From the child's perspective, a simple bolt-action will be much less intimidating than the semi-auto since the entire sequence is entirely controlled by him.

I spent a good 2 months explaining the 4 rules of safety to my 5-year-old and agreed to take him shooting once he was able to explain them all with full understanding to someone else.

I ended up getting him a Savage Rascal because it has the same manual of arms as a typical bolt-gun.  Some of the others require the additional step of pulling back the striker in order to fire.  The trigger on the Rascal is the same one on their centerfire models, it has great (adjustable) peep sights and it's tapped for a scope.  They have a new "Target/(tactical)" model now but I'm sure you can still get their standard model for much less, I think I paid $150.

Shooting has become so much more enjoyable since being able to share it with my son.  Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Both of my kids started with Ruger 10/22s with a Bushnell TRS-25 mounted to it.  You can single-load mags until they are ready for more.

Obviously, the 10/22 is available in countless configurations for the factory, and aftermarket parts abound to the point you can build one with no Ruger parts.

The modular stocks some of the 10/22s come with now are pretty neat and allow you to modify the length of pull easily and cheaply.

You never outgrow a 10/22.  Ever.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I started my son on a Savage Rascal when he was three. I think starting them out with a bolt gun is the way to go. It's easier to keep them working on the fundamentals with each shot instead of it becoming a quest to empty the magazine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started my son on a Savage Rascal when he was three. I think starting them out with a bolt gun is the way to go. It's easier to keep them working on the fundamentals with each shot instead of it becoming a quest to empty the magazine.
View Quote
I'm starting to agree with this as well.  I really appreciate all the responses!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Both kids (now 4 & 8) have Rascals. More available options and upgrades than other, comparable, youth models.
I'll be honest, you can catch me shooting alone, from time to time, even with the pink one
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Dito on the Rascal. Much better than the Crickett.

If you feel like getting fancy, I’d look at the CZ Scout. Use a single shot mag until you feel comfortable with him using 5 or 10 rounders.  Add a scope as he gets older and more experienced.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#10]
A local store has a Remington 527 on sale.  Good choice?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#11]
my first rifle was a single shot m12 H&R with target sights

Definitely start out with irons and I think a lighter weight bolt action
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A local store has a Remington 527 on sale.  Good choice?
View Quote
NO.  I have made this mistake...don't do it, no matter how tempting.  The 527 was my first rifle purchase when I was turned 18, and I regret it to this day.  Go with a 10/22 if you are considering a semi-auto.

It's will shoot OK, but there is about 1/10th the aftermarket parts for it compared to a 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

NO.  I have made this mistake...don't do it, no matter how tempting.  The 527 was my first rifle purchase when I was turned 18, and I regret it to this day.  Go with a 10/22 if you are considering a semi-auto.

It's will shoot OK, but there is about 1/10th the aftermarket parts for it compared to a 10/22.
View Quote
Thank you for the advice!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a Ruger 10/22 and several BX-10 10 round magazines.  Load them with only one round to start off.  I feel the Ruger 10/22 is much more of a bargain and you can mod it as time goes by.  Good luck and be safe.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Kids grow up fast.  I originally thought about buying my son a youth model rifle, but he's now 11 and does fine with adult sized models.

He has been shooting my CZ 452 since he was 7.  He couldn't shoulder it properly at first - but he grew.  He also got to practice a lot with his full size airsoft AK and a couple of pellet guns.  Now he's 11 and he'd rather shoot my Mosin Nagant than a .22 - and he does great with it.  We're now shopping for his first gun and I'm thinking something like the Ruger American in 7.62x39.  Something decent and fun and relatively cheap to feed that he will still enjoy in 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#16]
CZ Scout
Can add a full size stock later if needed.

Oldest daughter has one and it is a laser.
I can even shoot it good with my ape arms.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thank you for the advice!
View Quote
I had a 597. POS compared to a 10/22. The magazines suck shit as the bullets get wedged in the magazine while loading.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I made an 15/22 sbr with a suppressor for my daughters.  It is light and love the collapsible stock that grows with them.  I set up a steel flipping tree and they love shooting it.

The barrel is short enough to keep most bulk ammo sub sonic too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Local place has a Rock Island M 14 Y .22LR bolt action for $139.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those rifles have been around for quite some time and sold by several makers. Armscor has been making the M14P for decades. From what I've read, I'd score them as above average. It's downfall would be lack of aftermarket parts and mags are said to be less available and a bit higher priced. Seems like it would fit the bill for your lil one, however.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I started on a tube fed, bolt action Marlin with open sights. Working the bolt after each shot helps slow kids down thereby giving them more time handling/manipulating the rifle, which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Going to be hard to beat the quality and fit finish of the CZ Scout.

Be something he can hand to his kids and grandkids.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Ruger 10/22
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Spend the extra $100 on a 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up purchasing a Rock island youth model for him.  I've taken him out twice so far and he absolutely loves it.  Solid little rifle that functions perfectly.  I think the savage rascals might have been a little too flimsy for him (he is a big 7 year old).  I plan on introducing him to the ruger 10/22 after he's become proficient with his first rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a Henry Mini Bolt (single shot) to start my grandkids on.

It is very small, maybe not quite as small as a cricket, but is a much better gun. Stainless steel with a plastic stock, all but indestructible. It has fiber optic open sights, made it easy to teach how to align the sights on target.

The only drawback is that it doesn’t cock with the bolt, you have to pull the cocking piece after it’s loaded. Very small kids have had trouble with this, so I rigged a loop with a leather shoelace.

The Mini Bolt is mine, and I have gotten each of the grandkids (the ones interested in shooting) their own rifle when they were ready. A youth model Henry lever action has been a big hit.

Whatever rifle you get, get a handful of tomato stakes, a bag of balloons and some thumbtacks. Blow up the balloons and put them on a tomato stake with a thumbtack.  The kids LOVE popping those balloons.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Like the others before me, I would suggest a bolt action .22lr rifle. Pick your favorite flavor of manufacture and commence with afternoons filled with plinking at soda cans, tennis balls, and target spinners. Save the semi-autos for when he's 15 or so.

He will appreciate the dedication a bolt action will take in terms of acheiving accuracy, precision, and manual of arms by starting early.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Like the others before me, I would suggest a bolt action .22lr rifle. Pick your favorite flavor of manufacture and commence with afternoons filled with plinking at soda cans, tennis balls, and target spinners. Save the semi-autos for when he's 15 or so.

He will appreciate the dedication a bolt action will take in terms of acheiving accuracy, precision, and manual of arms by starting early.
View Quote
I agree and I think that appreciation is already apparent.  We went out again today (his third time) and he is seemingly quite comfortable with the controls, loading the magazine, cycling the bolt, engaging the safety, etc.  He is listening well and learning quickly.  Today I was giving him some accuracy challenges and he was absolutely squealing with delight throughout.  His current capability is 3 out of 5 inside a 2" circle at about 45 feet.

One of the greatest joys of my life so far, teaching my son how to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I would recommend a ruger american. Bolt action that uses 10/22 mags. Get a 1 rd magazine to start out with.  I don’t know how small of a youth model they make though. A magazine fed bolt action in an appropriately sized youth stock would be what I would get if I got another youth gun.

I got my middle daughter a cricket in muddygirl camo. She loved it, until she shot my 10/22.....  I was extremely disappointed in it. The sights are horrible. My old crossman bb gun has better sights. It’s hard to cock. It’s had less than 100 rounds through it, and it probably will never get shot more than 100 more. It’s only purpose now is to teach the kids iron sights, and as said they suck, so what’s the point. Anyone older than 10 probably can’t load the stupid thing anyways due to the piss poor design.

I was looking for one for my youngest daughter and the savage rascals look much nicer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would recommend a ruger american. Bolt action that uses 10/22 mags. Get a 1 rd magazine to start out with.  I don’t know how small of a youth model they make though. A magazine fed bolt action in an appropriately sized youth stock would be what I would get if I got another youth gun.

I got my middle daughter a cricket in muddygirl camo. She loved it, until she shot my 10/22.....  I was extremely disappointed in it. The sights are horrible. My old crossman bb gun has better sights. It’s hard to cock. It’s had less than 100 rounds through it, and it probably will never get shot more than 100 more. It’s only purpose now is to teach the kids iron sights, and as said they suck, so what’s the point. Anyone older than 10 probably can’t load the stupid thing anyways due to the piss poor design.

I was looking for one for my youngest daughter and the savage rascals look much nicer.
View Quote
I have a Ruger American Rimfire Compact.  My 5 and 8 year old fit the rifle pretty well.  The modular stock idea is brilliant.

However, they generally don't shoot it because the bolt is hard to operate.  Not impossible, and it's fine for an adult.  My American in 6.5CM and Tikka T3x in 6.5CM have bolts that are far easier to operate.

The American Rimfire sights are just like 10/22 sights, which is to say, they are marginal but they work.  Aftermarket solutions exist.

Looking online, other users have had issues with the American Rimfire bolt, some even getting replacement rifles from Ruger because of it.  Others have had no trouble.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Going to be hard to beat the quality and fit finish of the CZ Scout.
Be something he can hand to his kids and grandkids.
View Quote
+1
Or a savage MK II.
Mine wanted to blow through mags when he got a hold of a 10/22.
But don't we all?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#32]
IMHO.....

Whatever you choose, consider the stock's LOP (length of pull).  In other words, make sure that the rifle stock fits.

That being said......there are specific rifles made as "Youth Models."  And, what about?   Buying an adult sized rifle and cutting the stock.  OMG!  At that point I begin to shudder.  OK, Ok, ok.  Maybe, if it was cheap and not a collectible rifle.

Say it this way......I've found many take off plain Jane wooden Ruger 10/22 stocks at gunshows going for less than $25.  Cut them up and you're not out that much money.  When your kid grows up, sell it off to the next guy or save it for the grandkids.

Just something to consider.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Got my son the Rossi .22LR - .410 combo.

Comes with Irons, but you can mount a scope for a $20 mount as the barrel is already drilled & tapped.

I found that the single shot really focuses them on proper technique to get a HIT, vs. just blasting rounds downrange spray & pray...

Plus the .410 barrel is a hoot to shoot for learning shotgun too.

I'm sure my son will teach his son, and that son may teach his son too with that great little combo.

Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#34]
The first firearm that my son actually purchased with his own money was a little single shot break open Savage (or was it an H&R) .410 Shotgun.  Keeping him in shells was about the only problem I had.  It's sad that .410 ga shells cost so much, when compared with 12 ga promo shotgun shells.   But, the low recoil and the satisfaction of breakin' clay birds placed on the ground, got him hooked good. When he got a little older, he sold it off and got all his money back too.  Yup.....those were the days.

Of course LEGALLY I was the owner and doing the buying and selling.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Someone above said kids grow up fast and he is absolutely correct. Your initial thought of a S&W 15/22 is a good choice for several reasons:

Adjustable stock as he grows
Will be with him always because he can keep it when he needs a full size rifle

Resale value on youth rifles is crap if you plan to trade up as you go. If you want to hold on to it for always, that is a lot of extra storage for the kids size 22, then kid size centerfire, then kid size shotgun.

Get what you want because all of the opinions above are valid. I speak from the experience of having 4 kids and safe space is a premium. At age 7 my youngest was shooting pigs with her AR. The S&W would be just fine for a first rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cricket .22.  start them with irons.  I paid 127$ at a big box.  Let's me work on form, position building etc.
View Quote
I went with the Cricket as well since there is an additional step of having to cock the bolt, slows them down a bit.  The boy started at 8 and at almost 11 moved up to a 10/22.  He still likes to shoot the Cricket here and then but it's way to small.  But he likes it since it was his first gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I went with the Savage Rascal for my son.  It fits him okay, and he doesn't have any problems with the controls.  Biggest issue is that the "adjustable" sights suck.  Typical cheapo loosen screw, move sight, tighten.  I tried to rig up some proper target sights to the rifle, no luck with that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I second the single shot bolt action.  If I was buying one today I'd really want an older gun, Remington, Savage, Winchester, any of those would be reliable and accurate beyond some of today's .22 rifles.

I gave my nephew an old Win. M67 that is a tack driver.  Unfortunately it's a little too big for his 8 year old son, so he also bought the boy (and his twin sister) Cricket .22's.

We took the boy's cricket and my nephew's Henry lever action .22 to the range to sight them in.

The Cricket is really difficult for a grown up to get behind/down on and shoot it due to the small size.  Even so, I could get two bullets of the three shot group to tear the same hole at 25 yds. (did it several time during the sight in) with the third an inch from the other two.  If I could get a good consistent cheek weld (vs. trying to lay my temple on the top of the stock) I'll bet it would be plain awesome.  Remington Thunderbolts, too.

The Henry?  Well, either it doesn't "like" thunderbolts or it's a smoothbore.  Eight to ten inch groups at 25 yds. was the best we could do with it.

What did I get my youngest son?  An old Savage M29B.  Not a bolt action, but still an old tack driver.

You can get them a new rifle when they get older but I'll bet they'll always appreciate the accuracy of some of the old ones.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#39]
I appreciate the continued responses to the topic.

I ended up purchasing a Rock Island M14Y .22lr and an HK 416d .22lr.

He spent the summer learning on the bolt action, then progressed to the semi auto in the fall.

It's amazing how the deliberate, almost mechanical process of using the bolt action rifle translated to his use of the HK.  I tried to impart all the same mechanics (as much as can transfer) when firing a semi auto, and he transitioned seamlessly in terms of ease of use.

As awesome as the HK is, he actually prefers his bolt gun.  It has a $30 Gamo scope on it and he can pop ballons at 25 yards all day.  He was drilling the smallest steel circle the other day and didn't even want to shoot his HK afterwards.

I would wholeheartedly recommend either rifle.

The Armscor is cheap and a little crudely made but solid and reliable.

The HK 416d is such a cool rifle.  Zero hiccups over the past 200 rounds.  Heavy (for a 7 year old) but manageable.  I put a Vortex Crossfire on it and he actually prefers the iron sights!

Good times.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#40]
This one.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-training-rifle/

Bolt action, open sights. I would never start a kid with a semi-auto or a scope. Learn the basics. I bought this for my daughter in .17 HRM (for something different), but she originally learned on an old 39a lever action .22. It wasn't until after she learned to shoot both with open sights (bolt and lever) that she used a semi-auto. Thanks to young eyes (and maybe some credit to me for proper training) she is pretty darn good with those open sights.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#41]
CZ Scout
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#42]
My daughter is two but eventually I'm going with a CZ Scout for her if she's right handed
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Browning T-bolt
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:43:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My daughter is two but eventually I'm going with a CZ Scout for her if she's right handed
View Quote
That's where I'm leaning too.  My son seems to be a switch hitter but he's shooting the Red Ryder right handed.  I'm going to give him a little more time before I commit. I have an old Savage lever action single shot he can shoot in the man time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top