Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2020 9:15:40 PM EDT
My father bought one of those cheap AR-style 12ga shotguns of indeterminate origin. You may be shocked, absolutely shocked, to hear that it won't cycle any of his cheap birdshot worth a damn. He has asked me to provide suggestions.

Since the suggestion of "don't buy cheap semi-auto shotguns on indeterminate origin" isn't of interest to him, does anyone have any suggestions for cheap but decently powerful ammo for breaking the thing in (at least one 250 shell box, I assume). SD ammo cycles it just fine but it'd cost him several times the gun cost in ammo to break it in with premium buckshot or slugs.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My father bought one of those cheap AR-style 12ga shotguns of indeterminate origin. You may be shocked, absolutely shocked, to hear that it won't cycle any of his cheap birdshot worth a damn. He has asked me to provide suggestions.

Since the suggestion of "don't buy cheap semi-auto shotguns on indeterminate origin" isn't of interest to him, does anyone have any suggestions for cheap but decently powerful ammo for breaking the thing in (at least one 250 shell box, I assume). SD ammo cycles it just fine but it'd cost him several times the gun cost in ammo to break it in with premium buckshot or slugs.

Thanks guys.
View Quote
What gun exactly? Did it come with an extra gas piston?

I bought a VR60 just for fun. Using the 2 3/4 piston, it will eat even the cheap Walmart Federal or Winchester bulk 1200FPS 7 1/2 or 8 bird shot. I don't think you can buy cheaper shit

I did try the other piston that is recommended for hot 2 3/4 or 3" loads just to see if the gun would cycle the cheap stuff, straight up single shot using this piston...

If changing the piston is not an option, try buying the cheaper bird shot that has a velocity greater than 1200fps. I've seen some 1275fps stuff at Walmart for instance that is still $5-6 a box and may run his gun. Lube choices and or lack of lube can play a big roll in function. I've found light oil works well on most any auto. thicker oils and greases can cause big function problems....
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with shultz.  Walmart has 25 round boxes of various birdshot up to 1400fps for $5-$7 a box.  I run these in my Remington 11-87P with zero issues.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
try a search for Federal Ultra clay and field.

One of my local shops carries it in 3 different drams for basically the same cost as Walmart value pack stuff.

The 3 1/4 dram stuff is pretty stout... it will run just about anything.

Also, knowing that slug dear season just ended in a lot of states, look for sales on slugs. 25 or 30 slugs will break a box fed in pretty quick.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought a VR60 just for fun. Using the 2 3/4 piston, it will eat even the cheap Walmart Federal or Winchester bulk 1200FPS 7 1/2 or 8 bird shot. I don't think you can buy cheaper shit

I did try the other piston that is recommended for hot 2 3/4 or 3" loads just to see if the gun would cycle the cheap stuff, straight up single shot using this piston...

If changing the piston is not an option, try buying the cheaper bird shot that has a velocity greater than 1200fps. I've seen some 1275fps stuff at Walmart for instance that is still $5-6 a box and may run his gun. Lube choices and or lack of lube can play a big roll in function. I've found light oil works well on most any auto. thicker oils and greases can cause big function problems....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Definitely not a VR90. It's a weird one-off brand. No extra pistons.

I'd like to think he'd have oiled it the same as he does every gun, but probably a solid chance he only lubed the bolt and overlooked the piston.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
try a search for Federal Ultra clay and field.

One of my local shops carries it in 3 different drams for basically the same cost as Walmart value pack stuff.

The 3 1/4 dram stuff is pretty stout... it will run just about anything.

Also, knowing that slug dear season just ended in a lot of states, look for sales on slugs. 25 or 30 slugs will break a box fed in pretty quick.
View Quote
I'm relatively ignorant of shotgun terms, and this is the first I've heard the word "dram". I take it that's the powder charge?

This is the fastest relatively affordable plinking load I've found: http://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge-ammo/250-round-case-12-gauge-275-inch-1-oz-number-8-shot-1290-fps-game-load-federal

Do you guys think that'll stand a decent chance, insofar as anything will?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm relatively ignorant of shotgun terms, and this is the first I've heard the word "dram". I take it that's the powder charge?

This is the fastest relatively affordable plinking load I've found: http://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge-ammo/250-round-case-12-gauge-275-inch-1-oz-number-8-shot-1290-fps-game-load-federal

Do you guys think that'll stand a decent chance, insofar as anything will?
View Quote
Dram is blackpowder measurement. It really doesn't mean much when talking smokeless powders other than if its says 3 dram on the box, this means it would take 3 drams of blackpowder to make the velocity stated on the box... if you were to try and duplicate the load and used 3 drams of smokeless powder, KABOOM!

Anyway forget dram, go by velocity. I think the ammo you linked stands a good chance of running the gun. How bad was it choking on the birdshot he already tried? I assume, it was 1200fps or less maybe?

90fps may not sound like much but it really is in this case. I'd also have him clean and lube it good. Factory lubes are more for preserving and preventing rust until its sold...these lubes can actually impede function and should be removed if he has not already done so. Light oil on all the sliding parts and springs.

As much as I hate walmart and try not to buy from them, buying a few boxes of different higher velocity birdshot would be the best way to find something that works...maybe one of you LGS has a good selection?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't know if it'll help, but I bought one of those Chinese SAS-12 semi auto box mag fed shotguns. The instruction book that came with it said to break it in using High brass shells. I bought a box of Federal Hi Bird shotshells at Walmart (I don't remember what they cost). Anyway, the box says 3 3/4  dram eq, 1 1/4 oz shot, no 5 shot, 1330 muz vel. The booklet said to shoot 50 rounds, but I only shot the one box (25) and it works pretty reliably now. Next I plan to try some low brass, cheaper shells.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
He sent me pics, it looks like it's a VR80 imported by RIA/Armscor
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He sent me pics, it looks like it's a VR80 imported by RIA/Armscor
View Quote
OK, he should have another gas piston then. IIRC, my VR60 came with the heavy load piston installed from the factory. I swapped in the light load before I took it out the first time since I was shooting lighter loads including 00B.

First, I would make sure the light load piston is installed. Back to the lube thing.. My VR60 innards were coated with some really tacky preservative. Clean ALL that crap off and relube! The same gunk is also in the mags, clean the mags as well. I run my mags dry but did lightly lube the inner surfaces and then buffed off any excess for a little corrosion protection.

I think I had one maybe 2 hiccups in the first 2 mags. After that, the gun just ran! only time its choked since is when I installed the heavy load piston and tried shooting light loads... even standard 00B loads are kinda sluggish with the heavy load piston, they do run though. I don't think the heavy load piston is needed unless you're shooting really hot 2 3/4 slugs or 3" loads....

That VR80 should run 1200fps loads no problem, my VR60 will....

Edit: check out this video, the pistons are mentioned.
Rock Island Armory VR80 Shotgun Review
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
See below, my buddy has a vr80 that shoots it well and I have a saga clone that it also works well in. I can get it for about the same price as value packs locally ( give it take 50 cents a box)

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Estate ammo, Sportsmans Warehouse carries it by the case.  If you get the 5 or 6 shot intended for bird hunting, it might run you $8-10 a box of 25 when bought in bulk.  Stuff must be intended for post nuclear apoc Pheasants as it has more recoil than most buck and slug loads I have fired.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Estate ammo, Sportsmans Warehouse carries it by the case.  If you get the 5 or 6 shot intended for bird hunting, it might run you $8-10 a box of 25 when bought in bulk.  Stuff must be intended for post nuclear apoc Pheasants as it has more recoil than most buck and slug loads I have fired.
View Quote
I have a crate of the stuff sitting at his house with the rest of my rarely-used ammo (I'm in a tiny apt right now). I need to commandeer the gun next time I'm there and do some testing with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top