Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2022 1:06:04 PM EDT
I know about the Criss  frames, but perhaps there are others?

Don't need goggles or gas mask inserts, just the "tough" frames.

Don't need "inserts" for existing goggles.  Got that squared-away.

Just simple. tough eyeglass frames.

ETA, a found a pair of Criss frames that fit me, but still open to suggestions before I have lenses made for the Criss frames.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Wiley X makes Rx ANSI rated lenses for their frames, my Eye Doctor has them as an option through his clinic/shop.  In terms of those clip in Rx Inserts I have used the ESS and Smith Optics ones, I like the ESS ones better than the Smith Optics, which did not clip in secure enough for my liking.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Get goggles or a glass kit like the M Frame and get RX inserts. They clip behind the main lens rather than replace the lens. This works better because the main lens retains its ballistic and impact properties, and if it becomes damaged it's a quick $10 to $20 replacement, vs having to get another prescription set made.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I already have goggles, with now-useless Rx insert for former presription.  I'll need to revist that, and have new Rx inserts made for the goggles.  Got it covered.

I'm looking for very stout eyeglass frames.  Stand-alone eyeglass frames.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wiley X makes Rx ANSI rated lenses for their frames, my Eye Doctor has them as an option through his clinic/shop.  In terms of those clip in Rx Inserts I have used the ESS and Smith Optics ones, I like the ESS ones better than the Smith Optics, which did not clip in secure enough for my liking.  

View Quote
Can you provide links to mfr/vendor?

I have a 'wide' face, so I need eyeglasses that fit my face.  The "wider" the selection of frames, the better.  Sorry about the pun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can you provide links to mfr/vendor?

I have a 'wide' face, so I need eyeglasses that fit my face.  The "wider" the selection of frames, the better.  Sorry about the pun.
View Quote
https://www.wileyx.com/

I swear by my WX Gravity frames.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I found myself in need of simple prescription shooting glasses a few years ago and found SportRX

All you have to do is pick your frames, lens options (transitions, etc), and upload a photo of your prescription, then click order.

Linked above are their impact rated frames, they have a ton of brands/styles to choose from

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I found myself in need of simple prescription shooting glasses a few years ago and found SportRX

All you have to do is pick your frames, lens options (transitions, etc), and upload a photo of your prescription, then click order.

Linked above are their impact rated frames, they have a ton of brands/styles to choose from

View Quote
Interesting site.  Seems more of a vendor than a manufacturer; Thanks for posting the link.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#8]
What are you planning on using these frames for, everyday or at the range? Do you want frames to have corrective lenses put into of just as protective eyewear? Revision https://www.revisionmilitary.com/en/ has glasses that can be worn with inserts but not that take prescription lenses. If you want prescription lenses in a safety style frame look at Tactical RX. https://www.tacticalrx.com/ Sorry if links don't work but I tried.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Ive been wearing WileyX prescription safety glasses for work for 7ish years? Transitions lens are the way to go unless you do a lot of driving ( they dont get darker inside the vehicle)

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I ordered some Oakley's with Rx lenses thru FramesDirect. Since the Army has an approved eyewear list, I bought a surplus set of Oakleys with the APEL # and swapped the lenses out.

My experience with RX inserts with the Revision Sawflys suck. Had inserts issued during Basic training back in '09 and they constantly fogged up. More of a hassle than worth it for my eye sight at the time. I'm sure if I had CatCrap or some other antifog material, they would have been better.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are you planning on using these frames for, everyday or at the range? Do you want frames to have corrective lenses put into of just as protective eyewear? Revision https://www.revisionmilitary.com/en/ has glasses that can be worn with inserts but not that take prescription lenses. If you want prescription lenses in a safety style frame look at Tactical RX. https://www.tacticalrx.com/ Sorry if links don't work but I tried.
View Quote
I have plenty of "protective eyeware" for working with machinery.

Just looking for robust eye glasses suitable for shooting range, tactical use, "rough" use such as football/rugby/soccer and so forth.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Rec specs, it’s what all the kids used playing hockey and such growing up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rec specs, it's what all the kids used playing hockey and such growing up.
View Quote
Link, please?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Link, please?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rec specs, it's what all the kids used playing hockey and such growing up.
Link, please?

Here

This was the first thing that popped up, you can probably find more if you look a bit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Here

This was the first thing that popped up, you can probably find more if you look a bit.
View Quote
Thanks to all for the links supplied!

Still considering options.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to all for valuable advice and links.  Since I already have a set of Criss frames that fit me, I think I'll go that route.

Much obliged to all!

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#17]
TacticalRX

heard good things. No personal experience.

you can "buy" frames to try on and wear around the house. Once returned your deposit is returned. You pay all shipping.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks to all for valuable advice and links.  Since I already have a set of Criss frames that fit me, I think I'll go that route.
View Quote
Being blind as a bat myself, this is the correct route.  

I've done WileyX and Oakley with inserts, and they work OK.  They're great for (cheaper) every-other-year prescription changes -- but now you have two layers of optic between what's happening in the world and getting to your retinas.

Criss GI "Birth Control Glasses" (no chick will do you while wearing those) were the functional issue item for decades before the military went to brown frames.

If you don't have much of a nose to support them, you need cable temples:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top