Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2021 4:39:16 PM EDT
I was curious if doing a  cerakote  would stink up the house or what other options work well.  A standard black is fine and want to something better than just spray painting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It will stink up the house.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I had read that but wanted check
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What are most people using on aluminum
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
CLEAR ANODIZE IT! Q does this for the Honey badger is the color is awesome looking, the clear then turns the aluminum a light “beige” type color

Edit: you want black. Ummm alumahyde from brownells  or “Gun Kote”
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Duracoat is an option, but I don't spray inside the house because it has MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) in it which is super toxic.  I wear a respirator with filters rated for organic solvents and I spray outdoors and allow it to set for 24 hours before I bring it inside.

It is catalyst setting so unlike some other finishes it does not need to be baked in an oven.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Norrell's Moly Resin.  Exceptional coverage from a very thin coating.  Oven cured and very hard once cured.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had decent results from Brownells Alumahyde 2
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
cerakote will not stink up the house if you don't shoot it inside the house.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the help.  Went with kg gun kote.  Everything looked great but never hardened as i just tried putting the trigger together and it scratches very easy. I baked in a propane grill for an hour but no luck.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
No experience with what you used, but I've had great luck with Alumahyde II.  I painted a stainless steel LCP slide black and it's held up very well to a fair amount of pocket carry.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Recently heard of alodine, what aircraft mechanics use on raw aluminum.

I've used Duracoat w/ pretty good results, albeit not hard use.  The Brunton bump's gotten dinged pretty good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top