Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2019 1:21:29 AM EDT
So no one local carries them and I don’t really want to wait a week to install my new trigger.

I have a flat head screw driver bit that fits perfectly inside the oval lengthwise but has some wiggle side to side. I figure I can get enough torque to get the barrel loose with it but my concern is getting it back on, it looks like it requires a good bit more force.

I know the front sight tool allegedly works as well but people seem to keep breaking theirs when they try it.

Anyone have any experience/suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't have much luck using a flat head screwdriver and after beating up the slot a little I decided to wait for the wrench from IWI.  Are you in AZ, if so what part?  You may be able to borrow mine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It takes a bit of torque to get the barrel lock locked when installing the barrel. Not that I'm grunting while using the tool, but the long arm of the IWI tool makes it easy.

I'd probably go down to the local hardware store and get a big screwdriver bit, file it down do it fits as good as possible, and use a driver to turn it. Unless you've got a gorilla grip you'll be happy to have the extra leverage.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve used a flathead before without issue, now I have the official tool. I just gripped the flathead with pliers so I could get leverage and torque it easily turning the screwdriver by its handle would have been hard. Big thing is making sure the charging handle assembly is taken out before unlocking. If not you destroy it and possibly the gas tube and maybe even the lock. Also having the charging handle assembly get eaten by the lock increases the torque to turn that lock quite a bit. I had to replace the charging handle assembly and gas tube on my x95 after making that mistake.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't have much luck using a flat head screwdriver and after beating up the slot a little I decided to wait for the wrench from IWI.  Are you in AZ, if so what part?  You may be able to borrow mine.
View Quote
I'm not anymore but thanks for the offer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’ve used a flathead before without issue, now I have the official tool. I just gripped the flathead with pliers so I could get leverage and torque it easily turning the screwdriver by its handle would have been hard. Big thing is making sure the charging handle assembly is taken out before unlocking. If not you destroy it and possibly the gas tube and maybe even the lock. Also having the charging handle assembly get eaten by the lock increases the torque to turn that lock quite a bit. I had to replace the charging handle assembly and gas tube on my x95 after making that mistake.
View Quote
Yea I didn't mention it in my op but the plan was to grab the bit with some pliers.

How was getting it locked back on with this method?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yea I didn't mention it in my op but the plan was to grab the bit with some pliers.

How was getting it locked back on with this method?
View Quote
I don’t remember it being too bad, it’s basically just two half circles, in locked they go in each other unlocked it’s a flat that doesn’t engage if I recall correctly. Make sure it’s seated all the way first obviously.

Just make sure if it is hard to move on unlock double check that you removed the charging handle. My dumbass went 11b on it just torqued through it a few times couldn’t figure out why the barrel wouldn’t come out on the unlocked position then realized I bent the crap out of the charging handle assembly and the lock had eaten 3 I think half circle bites out of the soft aluminum charging handle assembly rod. Straightened out the rod then figured out that when it bent it crushed the gas tube slightly so I replaced both those parts.

One of these days I should do a thread on that with pics to help prevent others from doing the same thing.

PS When unlocking make sure you are pressing down on the little spring loaded piece that locks the lock in place so it can’t move on it’s own. I’ve never had a problem with that part but I’ve read about people breaking that by torqueing that to hell without raising it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I took a large allen wrench and hit the end with a grinder, basically made two flat sides.  Took a little at a time until it fit snug.  Worked well.  A picture may make more sense, but I am not home right now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I took a large allen wrench and hit the end with a grinder, basically made two flat sides.  Took a little at a time until it fit snug.  Worked well.  A picture may make more sense, but I am not home right now.
View Quote
Exactly what I did. Works just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top