Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2021 8:20:06 PM EDT
I have submitted my FFL application for an at home FFL and checked was checked last week. What’s next and what should I be preparing for? I have already been in discussion with my Town on zoning and they instructed as long as I won’t be running a retail type business where cars are lined up that they would issue a license. What should I be doing in preparation?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No license, no ffl.
View Quote

Yeah - They said no license without some indication of approval. I live in a small town and license dept told me if that was the case to have the atf agent call them.

License dept mentioned some letter that would be given before FFL.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Get your Business license from the city and county now. I had mine before I even sent in my application and still caused a hold up after interview.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get your Business license from the city and county now. I had mine before I even sent in my application and still caused a hold up after interview.
View Quote

Any tips on what to tell the town to give me a license before? I have already told them no license no ffl
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If the town does not and will not issue licenses for your type of business, ask for an official letter stating that, on town letterhead.

I ran a Type 07/SOT specialty gunsmithing business out of my home, and my city doesn't even issue business licenses for gun related business, just regular city and state/county registrations for a sales tax license. When I applied for my FFL, ATF pushed back at me for about six months before I supplied a letter from the zoning office that my proposed business was lawful and the city does not issue business licenses for this type of activity; and ATF still interviewed and talked to an official in the zoning office in person before finally relenting and issuing my FFL.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Just apply for business license with you city. For me it was printing out the form and dropping off a check at the permitting office. The city inspector called and asked a few questions than had me email him a picture of my dining room table with a laptop on it to show workspace. Was worried about this because I have an 07 and didn't want them thinking I was going to be running CNCs in a house.  Every city will be different so hard for any more details. I would definitely get sorted out first because the ATF will not issue if you can't meet local code.

What you will tell them depends on your business model and you may have to adjust that based on what they allow. Some cities allow home based for online and gun shows only, no walk in or face to face transfers. Others have zero restrictions. Be vague but honest on the tax receipt application and put reason as All Lawful activities as a licensed gun dealer. If they deny that adjust to online and show sales only.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Update - I have received my Business license from my state and county but my town continues to stand the ground of "they will not issue a business license without the ATF's approval for my FFL".

Any advise on what to do to push the town to issue a business license?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Update - I have received my Business license from my state and county but my town continues to stand the ground of "they will not issue a business license without the ATF's approval for my FFL".

Any advise on what to do to push the town to issue a business license?

Thanks.
View Quote

You don't need the business license prior to your FFL interview. Your IOI will know whether its rerquired.
Once ATF approves your application, you have a time period to get your business licensee, sales tax permit, etc.

From Question 20 on the Form 7:
b. Within 30 days after the application is approved, the business/activity will comply with the requirements of State and local law
applicable to the conduct of the business/activity.
c. Business/activity will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business/activity
have been met
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You don't need the business license prior to your FFL interview. Your IOI will know whether its rerquired.
Once ATF approves your application, you have a time period to get your business licensee, sales tax permit, etc.

From Question 20 on the Form 7:
b. Within 30 days after the application is approved, the business/activity will comply with the requirements of State and local law
applicable to the conduct of the business/activity.
c. Business/activity will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business/activity
have been met
View Quote

Awesome - Thanks. IOI interview is scheduled for Friday
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like you're going to run into problems with that business license.  If your town is telling you they'll issue a license as long as you're NOT operating a retail-type business where cars are parked around your house then that sounds like a HUGE problem to me and probably to the ATF also.  Because that's EXACTLY what the ATF is expecting you to be, a RETAIL business where cars are parked because you're ACTIVELY in the business of selling firearms!  The ATF under the Biden administration is not going to be granting new FFLs to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who wants to get an FFL to sell a few guns to their friends and family and a few for themselves.  They're going to expect you to be actively in the business of selling firearms.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a whole lot of other stuff I had typed up to try to help, but since I'm a "new" account I'm restricted to 200 words in my posts.  Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It sounds like you're going to run into problems with that business license.  If your town is telling you they'll issue a license as long as you're NOT operating a retail-type business where cars are parked around your house then that sounds like a HUGE problem to me and probably to the ATF also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It sounds like you're going to run into problems with that business license.  If your town is telling you they'll issue a license as long as you're NOT operating a retail-type business where cars are parked around your house then that sounds like a HUGE problem to me and probably to the ATF also.

Yet ATF issues FFLs all the time to businesses that never see a single walk up customer.

Because that's EXACTLY what the ATF is expecting you to be, a RETAIL business where cars are parked because you're ACTIVELY in the business of selling firearms!

Nonsense.
While the Federal Firearms License is for those engaging in the business of dealing in firearms, there is no minimum number of sales required by any law or regulation. "ACTIVELY" therefore has no meaning.

ATF merely requires the licensee to operate legally under all local, state and federal laws, including zoning and HOA covenants. NOWHERE in ATF regulations or federal law is there a requirement to have a "RETAIL business where cars are parked" or anything close to that bullshit. One of GunBrokers "Top 100" sellers lives less than a mile from me and NEVER has a single customer come to his home. His HOA prohibits such walk up traffic for home based businesses. He sells and ship dozens of firearms every day WITH NO RETAIL CUSTOMERS.

RSR and Sports South, two of the largest distributors in the country HAVE ZERO RETAIL CUSTOMERS. RSR doesn't even allow local dealers to pick up at their warehouse.

The ATF under the Biden administration is not going to be granting new FFLs to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who wants to get an FFL to sell a few guns to their friends and family and a few for themselves.  

Yes they will. ATF has no choice. An FFL is a "shall issue" and if the applicant meets the requirements he gets his FFL.

They're going to expect you to be actively in the business of selling firearms
There are five FFL's within a mile of my house that do ZERO sales and transfers. Yet they still have an FFL.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm afraid you're mistaken.  If there's one thing I've learned as an FFL, it's that there is very little consistency between IOIs throughout the country.  What happens and seems ok in your area does not mean that's the case every region of every state across the US.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully the OP comes back and shares how his first interview went yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#16]
IOI Interview went great - Super chill/cool Investigator. He even provided what my town need to issue business license. I should be receiving my license in the mail in a couple weeks.

Town will not allow for full "retail" business out of home and he didn't seem to have an issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm afraid you're mistaken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm afraid you're mistaken.

Then prove me wrong.

If there's one thing I've learned as an FFL, it's that there is very little consistency between IOIs throughout the country.  What happens and seems ok in your area does not mean that's the case every region of every state across the US.

IOI's don't make the rules bub.

If you think otherwise then provide some shred of proof or documentation that proves your point.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It sounds like you're going to run into problems with that business license.  If your town is telling you they'll issue a license as long as you're NOT operating a retail-type business where cars are parked around your house then that sounds like a HUGE problem to me and probably to the ATF also.  Because that's EXACTLY what the ATF is expecting you to be, a RETAIL business where cars are parked because you're ACTIVELY in the business of selling firearms!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It sounds like you're going to run into problems with that business license.  If your town is telling you they'll issue a license as long as you're NOT operating a retail-type business where cars are parked around your house then that sounds like a HUGE problem to me and probably to the ATF also.  Because that's EXACTLY what the ATF is expecting you to be, a RETAIL business where cars are parked because you're ACTIVELY in the business of selling firearms!

You would be shocked how many FFLs do not run a retail business. Glock for example. RSR for example. Many do not even sell firearms, they just do gunsmithing.

Quoted:
 The ATF under the Biden administration is not going to be granting new FFLs to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who wants to get an FFL to sell a few guns to their friends and family and a few for themselves.  They're going to expect you to be actively in the business of selling firearms.

It is a shall issue license. Meet the reqs, you get your license. Their is no discretion on the part of the issuer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#19]
DT.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#20]
How ironic it is that Both Glock and RSR won't sell to you unless you have a retail location. We run websales only and they won't sell to us
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top