Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2021 3:58:54 PM EDT
Any ideas on how to remove a gas tube nut stuck fast to an IMBEL receiver stub?

I'd prefer to not demolish the nut or the carry handle, but, if I run out of options, I'll take the grinder the stub to loosen both the nut and the barrel. I do have an extra nut and have a chopped carry handle ring ready to be installed.

I've tried long soaks in PB Blaster, MAPP torch, and vice grips. A gas tube nut tool was of no use.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you don’t want to ruin the nut, but as you have another, drill a hole all the way through in what ever diameter you had a rod or large screw driver and put some muscle on it
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
heat
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know you don’t want to ruin the nut, but as you have another, drill a hole all the way through in what ever diameter you had a rod or large screw driver and put some muscle on it
View Quote

Good idea. with that method, there is the possibility of saving this nut for use as a spare.

Quoted:
heat
View Quote

A MAPP torch did nothing but burn off the paint.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#4]
had this problem with my recent build (had a build thread in GD)

Heat is what got it for me. Heat, loosening the other end of the gas tube, PB Blaster in everywhere, and tape wrapped vice grips.

The next suggestion I was given was trying a relief cut in the receiver stub, just like most do to free the barrel from the stub.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It took heat, vice grips, hole drilled through the shank, a rod through that hole, and bit of alcohol-fueled rage, but that sucker came off. It didn't look like there was much rust, and the notches weren't mushroomed from overtightening, so I have no idea how it was on there so securely. Anyway, it's in my spares box, and I saved the carry handle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It took heat, vice grips, hole drilled through the shank, a rod through that hole, and bit of alcohol-fueled rage, but that sucker came off. It didn't look like there was much rust, and the notches weren't mushroomed from overtightening, so I have no idea how it was on there so securely. Anyway, it's in my spares box, and I saved the carry handle.
View Quote

Sometimes stuff just gets stuck bad.  I had a older DSA FAL where I could not get the flash hider off to save my life.  We hit it with a MAP torch, carbon breaker, and tried using a breaker bar to get enough leverage to get it off and it would not budge.  Ended up having to dremel it out and we thankfully got it with no damage to the barrel.  But there was no loctite, solder, or weld keeping it on.  I had only put about 50 rounds through the gun before we did it so it even seemed excessive for carbon buildup.  It was a real PITA.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
VISE GRIPS and $10

https://www.apexgunparts.com/fal-gas-tube-extension-refinished.html

First wrap it in duct-tape and try the vise-grips. You might bugger it less than you would expect.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sometimes stuff just gets stuck bad.  I had a older DSA FAL where I could not get the flash hider off to save my life.  We hit it with a MAP torch, carbon breaker, and tried using a breaker bar to get enough leverage to get it off and it would not budge.  Ended up having to dremel it out and we thankfully got it with no damage to the barrel.  But there was no loctite, solder, or weld keeping it on.  I had only put about 50 rounds through the gun before we did it so it even seemed excessive for carbon buildup.  It was a real PITA.
View Quote

No shit. Performing gun surgery can be fun, and it can be not that.

Quoted:
VISE GRIPS and $10

https://www.apexgunparts.com/fal-gas-tube-extension-refinished.html

First wrap it in duct-tape and try the vise-grips. You might bugger it less than you would expect.
View Quote

The vise grips didn't damage the surface too badly, and the drilled holes would be under the handguards. Anyway, that one's in the spare parts box, and I have another ready to go on the rifle once I pick up the receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top