Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2020 2:59:53 AM EDT
Hi all,
I'm researching printing an adapter to connect a Magpul SGA Ambidextrous Butt Stock (Mossberg 500) to connect it to a non-converted ordinary Saiga rifle. What would be the strongest plastic or nylon material that would withstand the recoil?
Thanks all!
Hep
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What options do you have? What plastics can you actually get for the printer?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What options do you have? What plastics can you actually get for the printer?
View Quote

So there are 3 options. The 2 Multi Jet Fusion Plastics are cost effective. The SLA plastic not so much since it costs twice as much. Here they are;

Multi Jet Fusion Plastic

PA 12
Nylon 12 material with a matte finish and slightly grainy feel.

PA 12 Glass Beads
40% glass bead filled nylon 12 material with high stiffness and dimensional stability

SLA Plastic

PA11 (SLS)
Nylon 11 material with high ductility and elongation, best suited for applications where high impact resistance is important.

I'd like to know how the PA 12 plastics compare to the plastics used in firearm stocks, etc. Is the PA 12 as strong as or better than some of the polymers used in stocks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The stocks I make as replacements for Stoner 63 machine guns I do with SLS in Nylon 12. You can literally beat them with a hammer and they are fine.

Butt stock 0.1" think

original verses new 3D printed one.

Stock on gun in rifle configuration

Different type pf stock I printed.

Replacement pistol grip

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The stocks I make as replacements for Stoner 63 machine guns I do with SLS in Nylon 12. You can literally beat them with a hammer and they are fine.

View Quote

Excellent info, thanks!

So if I could tap your expertise a little further sgthatred, the "SLS is Nylon 12" you specified, do you think it's the same as "PA11 (SLS)" that I listed as an option above? I don't have the hardware to print but intend to use a printing service, like Shapeways. And the 3 materials I listed appear to be the closest options. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
To print the parts I used https://www.xometry.com/

I assume its pretty much the same but I'm not sure. I have not tried anyone else but I am going to change since xometry will not print my ammo drums any longer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Went and looked the material data sheets up and the stocks I showed above are PA11 aka nylon 12.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]

That is pretty wild.  What type of 3d printer are you using?  Those parts look fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is pretty wild.  What type of 3d printer are you using?  Those parts look fantastic.
View Quote

Its a laser sintering printer. I use a print company since the printers are 100K ea.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Its a laser sintering printer. I use a print company since the printers are 100K ea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Darn - those are some nice looking parts!  I was half-way hoping that it was something I could one day afford.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Went and looked the material data sheets up and the stocks I showed above are PA11 aka nylon 12.
View Quote

Hey Sgt, did you get the holes tapped? Or is the material easy enough to just screw into without tapping?
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I just have the threads printed right into the plastic. You can have inserts put in or even tap printed holes as well.

This is a feed drum where I printed the acme stub threads right into the wing nut and stud.

The model used for this print.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#12]

That is utterly amazing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#13]
depending on the size of the parts you want to print you shall also be able to print it with an anycubic or ender or something along those lines, printed some cheek risers for a sako trg 42 on an anycubic i3 mega and they work absolutely fine on a .338lm rifle. using pla for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top