Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 3:44:00 PM EDT
Decided to take down the M1 Garand my Uncle gave me last year to get pictures of individual serialized parts.  This rifle has a handful of NM parts, but I am almost positive it's not an original NM rifle.  It has a receiver weld marking from where it could've been a VFW/Ceremonial rifle at one point.

Detailed pictures of components

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a rifle someone installed some NM parts and bedded the stock. Definatly a recovered drill rifle, that weld looks pretty deep. Not one I would have used. Keep a eye on it.
Have you ever had the rear handguard off the see how badly the weld is in the receiver face?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a rifle someone installed some NM parts and bedded the stock. Definatly a recovered drill rifle, that weld looks pretty deep. Not one I would have used. Keep a eye on it.
Have you ever had the rear handguard off the see how badly the weld is in the receiver face?
View Quote
No I have not.  I was going to do it earlier, but I didn't break down the front end to take it off.  I may do that now though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
This is odd.

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
Not really. Securing the band to the handguard via screws/glue/etc...is a common thing on match prepped rifles.

But it does look like your op rod is rubbing on the band or HG liner some where.

Being a reclaimed drill rifle, it's got almost zero collector value. Check the headspace, and under the HG where the weld was ground off and then shoot the hell out of it if it  checks out OK. But I'd look into seeing if that op-rod is in fact rubbing on the HG band and or liner as it appears to be in the photo, and get that taken care of ASAP.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#7]
As stated before someone  did some NM mods to rifle. Knock out lower band pin , front handguard and lower band will slide forward in one piece. Do not unscrew lower band from front handguard. If it was done properly it is also glued and well as screwed
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Wooden stocks change shape as their moisture content changes.  Even if it isn't rubbing now (low moisture content, humidity during winter) it might rub during the summer.  Lots of clearance is the way to minimal clearance is asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Got it stripped down all the way. What do y’all think?

Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It was welded for sure. Most are welded on the bottom of the barrel. Is there any heat stress on the inside of the receiver ? Or anywhere else?

I wouldn't worry much. Check headspace and shoot it.
View Quote
We shot it with surplus M2 ball when I picked it up from him last year.  I'm not sure how much it has been shot in it's lifetime, but I can't imagine someone would go through the trouble of bedding the stock and putting NM parts and barrel on it without plans to shoot it.

I haven't shot it since then, so it wouldn't completely break my heart if that weld spot was deemed to dangerous to risk keeping it in action, but it would be nice to know if it's safe or not.

ETA, I'll keep looking but so far this is the only weld mark/discoloration I can see.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not sure how much it has been shot in it's lifetime, but I can't imagine someone would go through the trouble of bedding the stock and putting NM parts and barrel on it without plans to shoot it.
View Quote
Or the builder didn't know any better, that is a heavy weld. This was not a reactivated drill rifle but a reactivated VFW parade/ceremony rifle. Although many people do CMP does not recommend shooting them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top