Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2018 4:13:29 PM EDT
In our police department inventory is this find, a Striker 12:

My question is: Can this be placed in the registry, or has that time passed? The department has no use for it and is looking for some kind of return. Appreciate any knowledgeable input.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
In early 1994, ATF decided (in ATF Rulings 94-1 and 94-2) that three models of 12 gauge shotguns, the USAS 12, Striker 12, and Street Sweeper, were destructive devices, owing to their non-sporting character, and having a bore over 1/2 inch, as all 12 gauge shotguns do. ATF required owners of these guns to register them, as NFA weapons. This was not exactly an amnesty, as the weapons were not NFA weapons when made. This decision, as to the Striker 12 in particular, was upheld in a court challenge in the case Demko v. U.S., 44 Fed.Cl. 83 (Ct.Cl. 1999). By ATF Ruling 2001-1, ATF ended the amnesty for these shotguns as arbitrarily as it began, effective 5/1/2001. Any not registered now are unregisterable contraband.
View Quote
Sorry, apparently it'd be contraband if in civilian hands.  The department can only transfer it to another department or keep it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if it's on a Form 4, or a Form 10?
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Worst case, demil the receiver by saw-cutting it, and it's a $500-$1,000 parts kit. I'd be pretty interested in it, even if it's not all parts.

If it wasn't papered past sale to the department, it cannot be transferred as-is to civilians.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if it's on a Form 4, or a Form 10?
View Quote
It may well be a purchase old enough that it's not on any form at all, prior to the 94 determination. Before that point, they were title 1 firearms.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Worst case, demil the receiver by saw-cutting it, and it's a $500-$1,000 parts kit. I'd be pretty interested in it, even if it's not all parts.

If it wasn't papered past sale to the department, it cannot be transferred as-is to civilians.
View Quote
I don't think they have to be destroyed.  Simply removing the barrel removes them from the purview of the NFA.

New owner can then file a Form 1 to make a new DD and add the barrel back to the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It may well be a purchase old enough that it's not on any form at all, prior to the 94 determination. Before that point, they were title 1 firearms.
View Quote
Probably this. There's no paperwork trail as of now- trying to find out more information.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me set you straight. I'm the firearms guy at my agency. There are a couple bits of good advice in this thread.

First step is to check with ATF's NFA Branch to see if it's registered in the NFRTR. They will probably require that your agency request this information in writing. See if you need to mail a letter, or if they'll take a FAX/email (They have a "NFA FAX" email address).

If it isn't registered, your agency can register it on ATF Form 1. Do not use Form 10! It will severely limit future transfer options.

Some folks will get picky and say you can't register an existing NFA firearm on Form 1. That's technically correct, however it will cease to be a DD if you remove both the barrel and the internal cylinder from the receiver. Normally you'd want to separate those items so far apart that they aren't possessed by one person/entity, but in the case of a LE agency this isn't a concern. (FFL/SOT could do it too. Both are exempt from constructive possession charges.)

Now that it's not a NFA item, you just wait for Form 1 approval, engrave maker info, and reassemble it when the form comes back approved. It won't cost anything, because government entities are tax-exempt. Then you can sell/transfer it to any qualified buyer. The first transfer will be tax-exempt also (Form 5).

You also have the option of selling it in a disassembled state as a Title I firearm (receiver), however the receiving person (or out-of-state FFL) won't be able to receive all the parts at the same time, as that would put them in constructive possession of an unregistered DD. They could have the receiver assembly shipped to one address (like their FFL) and the barrel and cylinder shipped to another address. Then they could worry about doing the Form 1 themselves.

They'd have to do a transfer (4473) through any FFL to get the receiver, assuming they live out of state. If the buyer is a resident of your state, they could accept the receiver directly from your agency. (I would run a NCIC check on them myself if my agency was selling it).

If you go with the first option (Form 1 it as a DD), then you'd ship it complete to the out of state buyer's FFL/SOT after the tax-exempt Form 5 is approved. The FFL/SOT would then transfer it on Form 4 to the individual, requiring a $200 tax. This would be their responsibility, and it's customary for the seller to NOT pay the (second) transfer tax.

If they're an in-state buyer (resident), then the agency would transfer on Form 5 directly to them. The ATF/FBI will run their background check as part of the NFA Form 5 packet. There will be no transfer tax.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you @KitBuilder - that was just the kind of advice I was looking for! The Form 1 makes sense to me and keeps a unique piece in circulation.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
You're welcome brother.
I hate seeing guns get destroyed or restricted for no reason.

Hopefully your agency can make some money off of it, assuming there's no rightful owner somewhere hoping it comes home.

How is this marked as far as make/model? Is it Sentinel Arms Co?

With that orange paint, I'm assuming it was used for less-lethal at some point. How'd that go?

Also, if your chief looks at all this paperwork/transaction info and decides that's just crazy, let me know how to bid or what you guys want for it. I could fill out all the paperwork for you if I bought it.

I'd still be glad to help, regardless, if you or your agency have any questions.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
We have one in ours also. Stock is bent. Doesn't matter because it will be getting melted down.

Breaks my heart
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Always wanted one. Saw a pic of a super short Protecta and thought it was one of the coolest guns I had ever seen.

Stupid NFA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Always wanted one. Saw a pic of a super short Protecta and thought it was one of the coolest guns I had ever seen.

Stupid NFA.
View Quote
Like this?

Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid NFA.
Like this?

https://i.imgur.com/djdedC2.jpg
Yup when I was a teenager I would have given anything for one. Might buy one some day but it’s not high up on the list anymore.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My question is: Can this be placed in the registry, or has that time passed? The department has no use for it and is looking for some kind of return. Appreciate any knowledgeable input.
View Quote
How long have you had it?

If you have had it since before the amnesty closed, ATF might allow you to amnesty register it if you have a good excuse why you missed the amnesty.

Barring that, the easiest route it KB above, register it as a DD.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup when I was a teenager I would have given anything for one. Might buy one some day but it’s not high up on the list anymore.
View Quote
I always preferred the 7" barrel versions vs. the super short ones.   I have plans to get a spare barrel and shroud cut down and rethreaded to 7" to look like this one.  However, I have never been able to find the widebody stock though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I always preferred the 7" barrel versions vs. the super short ones.   I have plans to get a spare barrel and shroud cut down and rethreaded to 7" to look like this one.  However, I have never been able to find the widebody stock though.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3567/pix014040285-513291.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3567/pix014040285-513291.JPG
Oh I’d be cool with that for sure. Much longer and they start looking weird.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks to KitBuilder.

No matter one's opinion of them, another one will be saved!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top