Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2018 6:52:49 PM EDT
Something that has crossed my mind frequently now that the toys I'm playing with are my own and not belonging to our favorite uncle:

From what I understand autogated NVGs are supposed to maintain the best picture of a NVG through dynamic lighting conditions.  Assuming it is the middle of the night but there are other folk's various lights on around you is it safe (device wise) to use autogated devices?  Not staring at a light source is one thing but all the various means of illumination can't be completely avoided.

I'm sure I've been too careful in not exposing my various devices thus far, but I'm tired of them sitting on a shelf not being used.  I took them out into the backyard last night for some star gazing and that's when I noticed how many various lights are all around.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have found that as long as you are scanning or moving normally...not staring...even brighter man made/urbin area lights are not an issue.  Just don't be like me and set your pvs14 down pointed at the neighbors super duper high output prison yard approved flood light :/  I had a pretty good image burned in the tube...luckily 2 days left on with full gain and zero light fixed it.

Only 2 times I have had to use that trick...and both were the result of the unit being stationary for a decent amount of time pointed at a light source.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to know.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
i use my nods quite a bit in urban lighting and as has been said above as long as you don't train on a bright light source for a period of time you should be fine.  i've gotten streaks from bright street or house lights before but they will clear up quite quickly.  the only time i've actually had the autogating kick in was viewing some pretty big fireworks close by , it was awesome
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:09:43 AM EDT
[#6]
So the durability of a modern autogated gen 3 system is well known, and I personally have no worries about mine. However,  let's say I decided to use one of gen 2 pvs-14s like my NGI for example. How would they stand up to comparable conditions to what the OP described? I mean considering they're non gated and all.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have used a PVS14-17 for 10+ years now in typical urban, mixed-light conditions.  It still works.

Although to address your concern, you might want to look at one of the diopter type covers for it.  Having the ability to "stop" the amount of the light entering "down" could beneficial.

Just don't stare at the lights n shit.  Avert your eyes as much as possible, like you're preserving your natural night vision.  If it gets sporty, close the diopter cover.  If it gets really stupid, turn it off.

All light will harm it to one degree or another.  But I haven't heard of one guy here burning out a tube in casual use.  Well there was that guy who's daughter used it to view the eclipse...
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 4:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Lights are my biggest fear honestly. I have burned a couple images into my tube (one was a visible laser that was flashed while we were night shooting) the other was a porch light and lately, the damn moon! The laser was the only one that lasted a few days and made me totally sick. The others usually are gone by the end of the night of use.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#9]
What about an LIF or certain NM filter. Can't remember which but someone suggested a NM filter a couple years ago. Might've been 640 or 840, I can't remember which but it definitely reduces bloom. I haven't noticed too much of a difference between both.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I run a LIF inside the front lens, covered by a #07 BC with a .225" hole.  This reduces glare/haloes from street lights n shit quite a bit.  Might have to tweak the gain just a bit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one of those screw in IR camera filters awhile back when they were being discussed here.  They are, at worst, a low profile sacrificial lense that still allows you to use the slip-on magnifier.  Hopefully they provide some kind of bright light protection as well.  Makes the image just a hair less sharp but not enough to notice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top