Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2018 5:15:27 PM EDT
Saturday I went to the range and took a number of centerfire pistols and a Pietta 1858 I had picked up a few months back at a gun show. I went to load the 1858 and apparently got a slightly over-sized ball. It came from a box of Hornady .44 caliber balls I had used with at least 5 other bp revolvers. It would only go about half way into the cylinder as seen below, no matter how hard I tried..
Attachment Attached File

I pulled the cyinder out and when I got home I hammered a pocket knife into it with rubber mallet. It pried out easy ..

Attachment Attached File

I have since tried loading more balls and it loaded as expected. I did not get to shoot it Saturday because the cylinder would not rotate with that ball sticking half way out. I had 4 friends with me at the range and I just put it away and shot other stuff.

eta: the suspect ball below..
Attachment Attached File

I have 10 bp guns and have never encountered that kind of thing before, but I guess if you shoot enough you'll eventually encounter everything.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
When shooting BP Hawken I would take out the nipple, pour a SMALL amount of powder in the chamber, replace nipple and cap, and fire.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Way too large of a ball. Measure the chamber diameter and size .010 over for the ball. Most 44 pistols come in near .444 and .451 balls work well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I have tried loading more balls since I got home and it worked as expected. Looks like I just pulled an over-size ball out of the box when at the range. It was cool weather out at the range that morning and I suppose that could have had an effect but I doubt it. Just appears to be an over-size ball maybe got past Honardy's quality control, if they have any on that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top