Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2018 6:14:05 PM EDT
Hey guys. I moved about two years ago and just found a big plastic jug with a screw top lid full of cases I had resized and primed before we moved. It was in a tote in the top of my garrage ( not air conditioned ) and has been in there since we moved in. Would you guys be hesitant to load these or are they good to go?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd use them.  I've used primers that were 25 years old, no issues.  What's the difference between primers in the box and primers in case?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I would use them

If there is a question about them, use them for practice ammo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Would you guys be hesitant to load these or are they good to go?
View Quote
Not one iota of hesitation.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely, go for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
When I got my first 303 I doug around and found some old crusty copper primed loaded rounds.

To the range we went, some RA 17 cracked the necks when fired.

The copper primed stuff shot tight groups, I thought it was marked from the 60's

Looking harder I realized it was made on 1909!!

Wish I had cases of it
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I store thousands of primed 9mm at a time in those plastic totes containers.

Primers are sold and stored in cardboard boxes so I can't imagine it hurts anything
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Seating primers breaks the lacquer that seals them from air, and contact with moist air will degrade them; however, you're saved because you kept them in a sealed container.  I make it standard practice to load up brass I've primed within a few days.  Factory-primed brass is usually done with wet priming compound and they're sealed after drying, so they don't need special storage.  Primers in the tray have also been sealed after drying, so they are stable unless you have really bad storage conditions.  Priming compound (lead styphnate plus additives) doesn't mind heat, unlike powder whether in loaded ammunition or the jug.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have any doubts, put an unloaded primed case in your firearm, point in safe direction (preferably outside), and pull trigger.
Be warned: depending on primer and barrel length, flame may shoot out muzzle.
Best do this outside, muzzle pointed in safe direction.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are determined to knock out live primers (I always fire them) it would be a good idea to use a universal depriming die.  Using a sizing die seals the case and a primer lighting off would cause high pressures that could result in serious injury.  It really isn't worth trying to salvage the primers, especially since they will be damaged to some extent by the decapping pin and would likely be erratic in performance.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I've done it with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I decap live primers with no problems, reuse them too.

Slow and steady on the press handle is what it takes.

If your anxious then don't decap them.
View Quote
Same here.

The Lee Universal Decapping Die works great for this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top