Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2018 7:23:14 PM EDT
I have tried numerous chest rigs for work, and hate everything that involves a panel with pouches attached separately.  I find them to be way too thick, and I can't easily get at the stuff on the front of my belt.

I have a rig that includes four M4 mag pouches in, and its slim as can be.  They are bungee pouches with no top covers/velcro etc.  This would be perfect, except that I only want to carry one M4 magazine in the chest rig.  So that leaves me with three available M4 mag pockets, but I want to put other stuff in there.  Specifically, extra radio batteries (literally the same size as an M4 mag, so no problem), a CAT-T, and some med stuff.

Has anyone figured out a creative way to store stuff in an open-top M4 pocket?  I looked at Pelican cases (nothing the perfect size, and I'd give up too much internal volume anyway).  Maybe some smaller "tactical" pouches would work, something I could stuff full of medical items and then zip shut and place in the mag pocket.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who has ever needed to store small items in a mag pouch, how do you do it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#1]
You could try a laser cut chest rig and panels made from materials like ultracomp of laminate. That would decrease bulk substantially.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
For work?  Are you LE? What is you primary use of the chest rig?

What all are you trying to carry ?  That really determines what goes where - really think about need vs want and your training.   Also , how low are you running your rig? I have a chest rig that is setup as a backup to my plate carrier.   I wear it mid chest and have no issues with it interfering with my bat belt or when used in plain clothes.  The bottom edge does cover some things at my waistline especially in plain clothes   I train with it and can access all if needed.   It can be a trade of fr me and I know it and train accordingly
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have tried numerous chest rigs for work, and hate everything that involves a panel with pouches attached separately.  I find them to be way too thick, and I can't easily get at the stuff on the front of my belt.

I have a rig that includes four M4 mag pouches in, and its slim as can be.  They are bungee pouches with no top covers/velcro etc.  This would be perfect, except that I only want to carry one M4 magazine in the chest rig.  So that leaves me with three available M4 mag pockets, but I want to put other stuff in there.  Specifically, extra radio batteries (literally the same size as an M4 mag, so no problem), a CAT-T, and some med stuff.

Has anyone figured out a creative way to store stuff in an open-top M4 pocket?  I looked at Pelican cases (nothing the perfect size, and I'd give up too much internal volume anyway).  Maybe some smaller "tactical" pouches would work, something I could stuff full of medical items and then zip shut and place in the mag pocket.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who has ever needed to store small items in a mag pouch, how do you do it?

Thanks.
View Quote
https://www.tacticaltailor.com/556magpouchmedicalinsert.aspx
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/556magpouchmedicalinsert.aspx
View Quote
Thanks to all.  This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping to find.  Now to find something similar or that can be adapter to other stuff.  I ordered some 4" wide double sided velcro so maybe I can roll my own.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#5]
For anyone else who may be looking:

https://store.itstactical.com/its-nylon-zip-bag.html

https://store.itstactical.com/its-tactical-med-insert.html

https://store.itstactical.com/its-shock-cord-insert.html

Those guys seem to be doing something similar, or at least they make something that could probably be easily adapted to use as a mag pouch insert.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Just cut up a cravat, stuff your shit down with it and tie a knot at the top.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just cut up a cravat, stuff your shit down with it and tie a knot at the top.
View Quote
I understand most, but not all, of the words in this sentence, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the pouches with the bungee cord and I use one of them to holster my pistol.  It is perfect in every way and has the cord to secure it to the pouch.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about the wisdom of storing magazine sized objects next to magazines.   We had guys that used to keep multi-tools in pistol magazine pouches.    It worked well until they tried to do a speed reload and ended up jamming their leatherman into the magazine well of their handgun.   It was funny at the range but not so funny in real life.   Just saying.   Stay safe.

2Hut8

Edit:   If I was going to repurpose a magazine pouch like this (and it is a good idea) then I would keep the non-magazine pouch well away from my reloads.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not sure about the wisdom of storing magazine sized objects next to magazines.   We had guys that used to keep multi-tools in pistol magazine pouches.    It worked well until they tried to do a speed reload and ended up jamming their leatherman into the magazine well of their handgun.   It was funny at the range but not so funny in real life.   Just saying.   Stay safe.

2Hut8

Edit:   If I was going to repurpose a magazine pouch like this (and it is a good idea) then I would keep the non-magazine pouch well away from my reloads.
View Quote
Good point.  I would counter with it comes down to training.  My mags are on my belt.  The extra M4 mag on a chest rig, which would not be worn 100% of the time anyway,  would be a reload for my belt.  I used to carry a Camelbak with an IFAK and a mag and cuffs in it, and getting to those in a hurry was obviously a no-go.  So I stripped down to a Thermobak, and decided to move some extra stuff onto a chest rig instead, where its a bit more accessible, but not something I need to wear every day.

I think I've settled on a couple of small nylon zipper bags from the jungle store, the kind your wife keeps her make up in, or your kid keeps her colored pencils in.  They will let me hold small items securely, but will sit just under the lip of the mag pouch, so the only item that will stick up out of the mag pouches will be the M4 mag.  And its location will be directly above my belt ammo anyway, so my hand will be in a similar place for accessing ammo.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds interesting.  The guy talking about the "cravat".  I can't believe this is ancient knowledge now, but anyways, the old GI med kits came with an OD cloth triangle designed to be used as an arm sling, or to tie a dressing in place.  It was commonly used as a "cravat" or neck scarf, similar to what the Boy Scouts (there's another anachronism) used to wear.  He's saying you could use it as a diaper wrap around your kit, cut to size, and tied off at the top.  Good field expedient, using issue(d) kit.

The inserts will work in this case, but I would think, by the time you do all this, you could have just bought another mag pouch, with a (adjustable) top flap. Or any top flap pouch really, that's the right size.  Unless you are stuck with issue kit, the Sgt Maj says you must use, you have other options.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I use mag pouches to carry all sorts of stuff.  They make great radio pouches for example.  Mine would be all surplus though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ve often gotten creative with FoodSaver rolls and a FS sealer/vacuum.  The FS material is particularly durable:

General Purpose pouch and items by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

Link Posted: 6/6/2018 3:53:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’ve often gotten creative with FoodSaver rolls and a FS sealer/vacuum.  The FS material is particularly durable:
View Quote
THAT is brilliant.  That would completely eliminate the wasted space taken up by thick material that makes up the inner sleeve.  Thank you for that.

Your baby stroller 3-gun rig is the greatest thing I've seen in a long time, btw.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

THAT is brilliant.  That would completely eliminate the wasted space taken up by thick material that makes up the inner sleeve.  Thank you for that.

Your baby stroller 3-gun rig is the greatest thing I've seen in a long time, btw.
View Quote
Thanks

It's a pretty common 'conversion' lol
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I can stuff a 6” Izzy bandage in a generic open top M16 mag pouch. A Motorola XPR-6550 also fits.

I’ve got a cheap Condor chest rig, I forget the name, that I dick around with from time to time and use as a loaner, that has 6 open top pouches as the full panel. Currently it’s carrying 4 M16 mags, an Izzy and a radio.

My main rig is a Mayflower Pusher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top