Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2020 5:12:25 PM EDT
I have a Savage 110 BA Stealth, and I don't like the FAB collapsible stock.  On this (I guess early) version, the buffer tube screws into a round rear receiver, not the standard teardrop shaped AR interface as found on later evolution versions.

Has anyone installed a fixed stock on this version rifle?  Any suggestions?  It's a 338, so it needs to be sturdy, and ideally have a cheek riser.

Every sturdy looking stock I find has the teardrop shaped front,  and I question the strength of the "foot" styles that only clamp onto the rear of a rifle buffer tube.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking of putting a MAgpul PRS on mine. The gen 3 ones come with an adapter to use on the carbine sized 'buffer' tubes these rifles have. Will need an adapter to use fixed ar stocks MDT sells them (since the Stealths chassis is a MDT LSS anyways) https://mdttac.com/us_en/carbine-to-fixed-stock-adapter.html

I have the PRS on a 6.5CM AR10. Is rock solid. Just the price is a bit silly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly what I had in mind, thank you.  If I hadn't already ordered something else in the meantime, I would definitely go with the MDT adapter and a proper fixed stock right now.  I may get one anyway if the current option fails.

For lack of a better choice in the meantime since the original post, I ordered a plain Magpul MOE collapsible stock and the snap on MOE cheek rest.  I don't know if it will hold up to the recoil, but I thought I may set the length and then fix it in place with adhesive.  It's not like I ever move it anyway.  The problem I have with some of the cheek rests is that when I'm comfortable on the stock, my cheek is halfway off the front edge of the thing.  I have no reason to expect the Magpul MOE to be any different, but it's worth a shot I guess.  Thicker buttpads may be an option to salvage the MOE if it fits wrong.

On the original FAB stock, I installed the optional rear monopod.  The added inch or so, and collapsing the stock one position got me to where I wanted, but I still don't like the stock.

If I were mounting a fixed stock, I'd probably just mount a rifle buffer tube, but it's nice that the PRS can use either one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I received the MOE collapsible stock. The 0.75" cheek rest is just the right height, but the stock is disappointingly loose, and here's why.

The diameter of the tube on the Savage is right around 1.16" which is halfway between Commercial (1.17") and Mil-Spec (1.15").  When I was measuring to order, I measured the tube and saw that it was larger than Mil-Spec and just assumed it was commercial.  When I try one of my other milspec stocks, it slips on very nicely with no play.

It should work better with the smaller diameter stock.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I know everyone is on the edge of their seat here, so I'll add a final update and summary.

*The diameter of the carbine style buffer tube on my Savage 110BA is part way between standardized commercial and mil-spec diameters.   I tried both a Magpul MOE commercial and milspec stock on this tube.  A commercial stock fits too loosely, a mil-spec stock fits too tightly.

*I don't want the stock on this rifle to collapse anyway, so I opted for the too tight milspec MOE stock, which you can pound into place pretty easily with the palm of your hand.  This gives a snug fit which I feel is perfect on this rifle.

With the 0.75" Magpul clip on cheek rest, I think this will be a satisfactory setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top