Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2018 3:56:28 PM EDT
Mounted a gemtech flash hider onto my steyr aug barrel.... and theres a LOT of barrel threading available since the flash hider doesn't screw all the way down. Is it safe to put the check nut on below the flash hider to cover up the visible threads? Or could check nut with gemtech flash hider cause a misalignment and baffle strike?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say whether using the check nut could cause an issue. But fwiw, I don't think it's necessary.

I'm using AAC mounts on 2 of my barrels, a 16 and 20 in. I forget which one without looking, but on one barrel using one isn't really possible in my opinion. And one leaves a bit of threading exposed. I just slathered on some Rocksett and cranked them down. Nice, solid and no issues.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, the can seems to run fine without the check nut..but man its ugly with a good quarter inch of threads visible. I just want to make sure putting the check nut on to cover that up doesnt tilt anything out of alignment.
Good to know on the aac part though. thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
In my experience, AAC on the 20 leaves a little bit exposed, AAC on the 16 looks great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my experience, AAC on the 20 leaves a little bit exposed, AAC on the 16 looks great.
View Quote
Yes, I believe that's how it is on mine. Looks a bit funky on the 20. But I don't even notice anymore.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mounted a gemtech flash hider onto my steyr aug barrel.... and theres a LOT of barrel threading available since the flash hider doesn't screw all the way down. Is it safe to put the check nut on below the flash hider to cover up the visible threads? Or could check nut with gemtech flash hider cause a misalignment and baffle strike?
View Quote
The real answer needs to come from Gemtech. Some suppressors or adapter mounts are designed to index on the barrel muzzle, while others need to index against the shoulder (where the barrel widens to it's original thickness behind the threads).

Here is what GemTech's online manual states:
1. Thorough degreasing of the male threads on the barrel and the female
threads in the Quickmount is essential. Acetone or TCE is the preferred
solvent.
2. The Quickmount Muzzle Brake requires timing. The Quickmount Flash
Hider ideally is tightened against the shoulder at the back of the threads.
3. If timing is required, fit using only a shim washer set (available from
Gemtech) or a peel washer. Never use a crush washer or lockwasher.
Use of a crush washer or lockwasher will guarantee misalignment, baffle
damage, and void the warranty.
4. Once fitted, place 4 drops of Rocksett® ceramic adhesive on the threads
and torque to 35-45 ft-lbs.
View Quote
Elite Iron specifies to index theirs directly against the shoulder, and to not even use any kind of crush/peel washer or spacer of any kind. I had to get an extended mount from them to fit on my Tavor that uses a jam nut on the factory compensator. Reading #3, I would say they might prefer that you use some form of spacer. I still go back to my original statement, that you need to give GemTech a shout. In the end, they will be the ones you will have to deal with if something does go wrong. Therefor it is best to let them decide/advise on how to properly mount it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top