Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2023 1:31:19 AM EDT
I’ve been really considering threading my USR barrel (either finding someone who will do 13x1lh or just 1/2x28) but the only thing holding me back is wanting to be able to revert the rifle back to factory if I ever wanted/needed to. At the same time though it’s a rifle I’m never going to sell so any collector value in keeping the barrel original is mostly non relevant to me. I was scammed out of $700 for a 20” barrel last month and don’t really want to shell out another $700 for a new nitrided barrel so the next best thing seems to be just thread the 20” I already have, but it feels wrong permanently modifying the matching barrel to the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I’ve been really considering threading my USR barrel (either finding someone who will do 13x1lh or just 1/2x28) but the only thing holding me back is wanting to be able to revert the rifle back to factory if I ever wanted/needed to. At the same time though it’s a rifle I’m never going to sell so any collector value in keeping the barrel original is mostly non relevant to me. I was scammed out of $700 for a 20” barrel last month and don’t really want to shell out another $700 for a new nitrided barrel so the next best thing seems to be just thread the 20” I already have, but it feels wrong permanently modifying the matching barrel to the rifle.
View Quote

Hope is wasn't EE. What happened?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I vote no.  If I had an intact USR, I wouldn't change a single thing.  

I'd really like to end up with one myself before unmodified examples become extinct.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hope is wasn't EE. What happened?
View Quote

No it was over on Steyr Club. He’s already been banned and I reported him to the Postal Inspectors but I doubt anything will come from it. I had a WTB add up for a chrome lined 20” barrel and this guy took the money and gave me a fake tracking number before ghosting me. I can only hope he gets the gnarliest most jagged kidney stones imaginable.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:10:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Ban era rifles are gross.  Un-ban it, thread it, and work it like a part time job.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I had mines threaded and I've found it to be pretty accurate compared to my 16 inch setups.

I say do it.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I vote no.  If I had an intact USR, I wouldn't change a single thing.  

I'd really like to end up with one myself before unmodified examples become extinct.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
it feels wrong permanently modifying the matching barrel to the rifle.
View Quote

Agreed, mine are stored away for exactly this reason.  Sucks that you got robbed, but I think replacement barrel is the right choice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Have it threaded if you’re sure about not selling the complete gun.

Since barrel and receiver have matching SN, Selling just the barrel won’t make much sense to me from a collector point of view..
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had mines threaded and I've found it to be pretty accurate compared to my 16 inch setups.

I say do it.

View Quote

I had mine threaded as well.  Works great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top