Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 5:13:58 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm contemplating picking up a Steyr Aug in the near future and was curious what the deal is with the A3 CQC Augs.  I'm brand new to the Aug world even though I've known about them for sometime, just not in any detail.  Are these very rare or nearly impossible to find, and if one were to find one what should I expect to pay?  If the value is there and it's considered a collectible I guess I'd be even more intrigued. Thanks for any insight.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
CQC was never released by Steyr...PJ's made a conversion kit in limited numbers...no longer available.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
CQC owner checking in. Got it off the EE awhile back, and finding them like that on the secondary market is the only way you’re getting one at the moment AFAIK. Don’t remember exactly what I paid but it was somewhere between 1.5-2k. I got it because it was in Rainbow Six. Were it not for that, I’d just as soon get a contemporary offering. The CQC loses the ability to quickly pop the barrel off and is very nose heavy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The CQC was a Steyr design that was shown in early 2000s. It had extremely limited use. There were a few prototypes that floated around trade shows and a few that were sent to Ireland. Basically it was never a production gun because no entity was ordering it, the A3 military and A2 commando (SF) stole the limelight.

All of Steyr's US AUG inventory was seized when Sabre Defence was raided and shut down. The winning bidder of Steyr's stuff was Pete Athens. Pete later sold the inventory back to the newly formed Steyr Arms US subsidiary of Steyr Mannlicher, part of that deal was that he was given the rights to, and everything pertaining to the AUG CQC (including all the five prototype guns).

The CQC is based on the A3 receiver. More detailed A3 history in the spoiler:
Click To View Spoiler

In 2012 Pete began making CQC kits with some nice modifications over the original design. A 16" barrel and extended flash hider was used instead of the 18" barrel out of necessity due to no 18" barrels being available from Steyr initially.

With the 2012 election and the Sandy Hook tragedy the gun market exploded (as we all know) and 18" barrels weren't a priority anymore... All CQCs sold going forward had 16" barrels. It took a couple years for the 18" barrels to show up. Very few people bought 18" barrels to replace the 16 + extended FH. If you find a CQC with an 18" barrel you're buying from someone who really knew what they had.

A3 AUGs were made from the serial number range of 1USA001 up to 7USAxxx. All CQCs will fall in this range, which then ended in late 2014 when the M1 AUG started at 8USA001. CQCs don't work with M1 receivers.

There were something like 550 or so kits made. I don't know how many were sold as complete guns. Everything is long gone. I have a couple CQCs and have been offered crazy money to sell. I sold a used kit two years ago for A LOT of money. These are by far the rarest of all AUGs, second only to the factory 9mm A1s.

Here are all the original design CQC pictures I saved.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CQC was never released by Steyr...PJ's made a conversion kit in limited numbers...no longer available.
View Quote

Steyr sent some to Ireland.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for the back info...got me up to speed on what I'm looking at anyway.  I think they look pretty cool but I found one that appears to be close to $2.7-$3k without the additional accessories.  Seems like a steep price to pay over a standard Aug so I was curious if there was a reason it justified the high price tag, and if that were something I'd be able to get my investment back out of if I decided to sell later or a case where I didn't do my research so I better enjoy for the foreseeable future ha!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The CQC is done.

From everything I know and conversations with others, I would be VERY SURPRISED to know kits are being made again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The CQC is done.

From everything I know and conversations with others, I would be VERY SURPRISED to know kits are being made again.
View Quote
I may have been a little unclear in my post but I meant to say that I found a used A3 CQC, not a NIB kit or a new A3 CQC sold as such unless I misunderstood.  You think the value on these is $2.5-$3k now?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a finite amount of CQCs and AUG stuff always commands a premium when there's no new stock available.

People were paying crazy amounts for A1's until the A3 came back, but today A1 prices are still creeping upwards. Is a CQC an investment if you buy it today and sell it next year? Probably not, but you're not likely to lose money. There's always a demand for the CQC from a small subset of potential AUG buyers.

A 16" M1 is a better handling gun that the CQC and cheaper, but that's not why people buy it... Whatever you decide an AUG is a great firearm!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There's a finite amount of CQCs and AUG stuff always commands a premium when there's no new stock available.

People were paying crazy amounts for A1's until the A3 came back, but today A1 prices are still creeping upwards. Is a CQC an investment if you buy it today and sell it next year? Probably not, but you're not likely to lose money. There's always a demand for the CQC from a small subset of potential AUG buyers.

A 16" M1 is a better handling gun that the CQC and cheaper, but that's not why people buy it... Whatever you decide an AUG is a great firearm!
View Quote

Yeah I think the current batch of 16” are the better rifles. But if you want a CQC, you want a CQC, I get that too. That’s why I got mine. And yeah, there really aren’t many available, so price is going to be all over the place. It’s not like a buyer has lots of CQC’s to choose from to be too picky about price.

It’s one of those things to just keep a wad of cash and an eye out for. I just happened to have the funds handy when I saw one for sale. It’s not like just picking up a Glock or whatever.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a CQC for a couple years and finally got sick of the design and crappy balance and sold it.  It as severely nose heavy, more so than any AR that I've ever handled, and I think the overall design would have been better in a v2 or v3 version, had the sales warranted it.  It's nice, but like any tool, assuming you're buying it as a tool and not a collector's piece, it needs to fit how you work.  The CQC, for me, didn't.  It added cool factor, but for me, that was about it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok appreciate the feedback again guys.  Yeah I'm with you on that if you want a CQC you simply want it, other factors don't really come in to play other than price and availability!

I have always had an Aug on my bucket list but it was at the back of my mind until I saw this CQC configuration.  I guess I have a number of firearms that aren't necessarily ideal or optimal setups but I own them for their rarity/collectibility and this would probably be one of them if I went the CQC route.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned about the CQC is that due to the different weight distribution there is virtually no muzzle rise when firing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Possible to find, ive seen 2 or 3 but rare. Pj made them and the kits don’t work with the M1 or current series augs to my understanding. Add weight up front which some said was okay but the aug is pretty well balanced and the extra rail space while nice I don’t think it worth it. Looks great and collector item
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I am happy to have a CQC in my collection.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#15]
CQC AUG is the coolest variant....of all variants of AUG...I'd like to own one...thinking about giving up my Tavor for an AUG...
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CQC AUG is the coolest variant....of all variants of AUG...I'd like to own one...thinking about giving up my Tavor for an AUG...
View Quote

They’re both great in their own ways. I got the Tavor first, I think most do nowadays. But they’re different enough that I don’t feel obligated to get one over the other just due to them both being bullpups. I even like my FS2000, despite all its weird little hipster quirks.

I’m glad I picked up my CQC, but next I plan on getting an integrated optic variant. They handle so much better, and are so much more svelt. To me they’re on opposite ends of the AUG spectrum.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the CQC because it allows me to do a thumb over grip in the same way I do with my ARs. I call mine the Suppressable Marksman's AUG. Or for short, the SMAUG.

It is a heavy pig though. 11lbs with an empty mag with the can mounted.

That said the recoil is comical. Gentle push back, reticle vibrates a little and that's it. No jump anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like the CQC because it allows me to do a thumb over grip in the same way I do with my ARs. I call mine the Suppressable Marksman's AUG. Or for short, the SMAUG.

https://i.imgur.com/RWi5kE3.jpg

That said the recoil is comical. Gentle push back, reticle vibrates a little and that's it. No jump anywhere.
View Quote

HAHAHAHH

Been a while since I've see the SMAUG posted around the web.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’d definitely imagine that thing is a chunk! My CQC is naked save for a micro red dot atop and some BUIS, and even then it’s got some heft to it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a CQC I let go of on GB. I was paying attention to the bidding and lost about $400 so I learned my lesson: no more GB for me, at least as a seller!
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Have one of the CQC set up with a registered full  auto trigger pack,as others have said it is a bit front heavy but on auto this gun is amazing,one of my favorite guns to shoot.They do pop up from time to time on the boards I do not think you would be sorry with the purchase.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had a CQC I let go of on GB. I was paying attention to the bidding and lost about $400 so I learned my lesson: no more GB for me, at least as a seller!
View Quote

GB can be weird.  I've gotten rid of guns I no longer wanted and somehow got more than I paid for them new.  Other times I lost my butt on something that should have sold for more.  

Got rid of a newer Winchester 94 Sporter that was lightly used by me (about 60 rounds through it), which is a $1,200 gun, and it sold for like $680 on there.  I had an HK Mark 23 that I bought new for $1,900 and never shot it and it sat in my safe for like 4 months, sold it because I wanted to go back to a USP Expert and it went for like $1,600.

On the alternative I bought an Arsenal SAM7 and decided to sell it to fund a Galil ACE, and sold that for $1,700 and it was used, I bought it new for $1,200.  Then I had a MP5 clone that I bought for around $1,400 and put about 1,000 rounds through it before I decided to sell it.  That went for $2,100.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's pretty much the main reason I always sort of wanted a CQC - so I could do a thumb over grip. It seems a lot more controllable than an AR configured the same way, to me. Sadly by the time I was in a position to get a CQC kit..all gone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#25]
They still pop up, a week ago or so one was for sale on bullpup forum but it went pretty fast
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I have one that I had Pete build many years back when he was still doing the conversions.

Like many folks, I thought they looked pretty neat and wanted something different.

They are a bit heavier up front but nothing I would consider a huge change and I find the touch bit of extra weight up front a bonus as I have mine paired with a transferable Qualified Mfg. Sear and as mentioned above there is almost no muzzle climb on full auto.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Is there a way to convert the A3 CQCs into a more normal AUG variant?

Spooky
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is there a way to convert the A3 CQCs into a more normal AUG variant?
View Quote

Yes; just remove the CQC forend and swap back to a normal A3 rail on top of the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

Yes; just remove the CQC forend and swap back to a normal A3 rail on top of the receiver.
View Quote

I might have to tinker with mine.  It looks good but is too front heavy for my taste - I've looked at the Gear Head Works Razorback and that might do what I want...
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#30]
CQC master race checking in. Have one from Pete, before that had a US made Aug from before the raid. CQC is what I always wanted in an Aug. Pretty much a safe queen for me though, i just don't get around to shooting it.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Hi guys, last night spotted a vid on Youtube on the CQC and he mentioned a thread here about them. I own prototype #1.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hi guys, last night spotted a vid on Youtube on the CQC and he mentioned a thread here about them. I own prototype #1.

View Quote

Pete sold it to you?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pete sold it to you?
View Quote

A few were sold on his site or GB several years ago.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Pete had...6...up for sale. Per what he told me there were 2 batches of prototypes made. One batch had 8 prototypes made of which only #8 was known to exist. It was the first one he listed on GB. The second batch had 5 prototypes and all 5 are known to exist. He stated he had standing offers of $7500 for #1. He told everyone he would list it on GB...I got it for significantly less than those standing offers.

Came with a certificate from him guaranteeing it as #1. Is also marked on the gun as such. Had a Steyr hard case with it as well as the standard cardboard box and Steyr gear.

I don't buy guns to be safe queens. This is that one exception. It is sitting unfired.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#35]
There is 1 AUG A3 CQC on GB right now. Not my AUG A3 CQC, I still own mine.

Steyr AUG A3 CQC on Gun Broker
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Whoo, glad I got in when I did. I remember thinking mine was expensive and I got mine at almost half that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's my CQC. Bought it from Pete A, years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Whoo, glad I got in when I did. I remember thinking mine was expensive and I got mine at almost half that.
View Quote

Wow dang, same here. Although even with this momentary surge of interest, I don't want to give mine up. It would only be more difficult and more expensive to replace years down the line.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#39]
The most desirable AUG - Steyr AUG A3 CQC
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Yeah that’s the video that brought this thread back from the dead
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Just because this got bumped: It’s a cool rifle but I really only got it because of Rainbow Six. All things else equal, I’d far rather an M1 for a modern setup, or any if they carry handles for the more traditional setup. The CQC really doesn’t do much aside from looking cool, which is still a perfectly valid reason for owning something. I kinda forgot I had one until MAC posted his video if we are being honest lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just because this got bumped: It’s a cool rifle but I really only got it because of Rainbow Six. All things else equal, I’d far rather an M1 for a modern setup, or any if they carry handles for the more traditional setup. The CQC really doesn’t do much aside from looking cool, which is still a perfectly valid reason for owning something. I kinda forgot I had one until MAC posted his video if we are being honest lol
View Quote

Well since you don't know you had a CQC...I'll give you $50 bucks for it ;)
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least then I’d know I had something these prices are nuts this is probably the time to sell if one is in the mood to sell. I’ll probably hold onto mine and tag a deer with it here soon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

At least then I’d know I had something these prices are nuts this is probably the time to sell if one is in the mood to sell. I’ll probably hold onto mine and tag a deer with it here soon.
View Quote

Cqc will always be high but these prices are nuts. I haven’t really bought anything with prices hiking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top