Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2021 11:24:23 AM EDT
Was the factory 42 round magazine designed for the long barrel LMG Steyr AUG with bipod?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes....think Austrian RPK
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Since the 40/45 round AK stick mags were made for the RPK 47/74, I assumed this applied to the Steyr AUG 42-rounders as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not seen any specific documentation stating it, but I think general consensus is the 42 rounders are to use the in LMG/light automatic rifle role.

@Meleante  have you seen any documentation on this?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I seem to recall something about this in an 80s article on the AUG. I think the article is, or was , hosted on remtek.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My totally unofficial source of info
It says “data from Steyr literature” though

A similar concept was developed for the AR70 and it was supposed to use a 40rounds mag

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My totally unofficial source of info
It says “data from Steyr literature” though

A similar concept was developed for the AR70 and it was supposed to use a 40rounds mag

https://i.postimg.cc/X7nwKnRL/097-AEC3-A-E5-B8-4-F36-A9-DA-FCDF527780-DA.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/jdq7wZfk/EBA5-A7-D3-9-C9-F-4458-9-E1-E-05-E373138-B93.jpg

View Quote

"The barrel is not readily exchangeable"

Yes, you have to have the CH back, grab the VFG, and throw the barrel latch button, and slide the barrel out to remove the barrel. What does the author thing a readily exchangeable barrel would work like?

AJ
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve noticed that as well

I wonder if the original LMG design had a non QD barrel similar to the civilian USR to prevent the use on closed bolt infantry rifles.. just a guess..
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’ve noticed that as well

I wonder if the original LMG design had a non QD barrel similar to the civilian USR to prevent the use on closed bolt infantry rifles.. just a guess..
View Quote

I’ve handled a box full of factory new LMG receivers. They have a typical bolt release button. The LMG receiver is actually a semi auto dimensional receiver.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
This is interesting.

I had always been told that the 42 Rnd mags were standard issue.

They used the larger capacity to make up for slower reload times.

Flame away.  This was always how I had been told by people.

What is standard military issue?  30 or 42?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I’ve handled a box full of factory new LMG receivers. They have a typical bolt release button. The LMG receiver is actually a semi auto dimensional receiver.
View Quote

What do you mean by semiauto dimensional receiver?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Slower reload times?  42 rounds are just as easy to load as 30 rounders.  I have heavy MG barrels and they are just as easy and quick to exchange as 20” and shorter barrels.  Never heard of nonremovable AUG MG barrels.  It does not even make sense.  MGs need rapidly changeable barrels unless they are water cooled as WWI guns.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My understanding is 30 is the standard, with 42 going to LMG gunners (for the Austrian army at least), but I'm sure "It depends" since SF probably carries what they want, just like any nation/force issuing AUGs has the option.

Quoted:
What do you mean by semiauto dimensional receiver?
IIRC @maleante is referring to the width of the receiver's stock latch channel, which is narrower on the LMG (just as it is on the semi-auto civilian AUG/SA or AUG Z).

I believe this was done so one cannot inadvertently assemble the LMG receiver (with its open-bolt assembly) into a standard select-fire AUG stock with a conventional hammer pack installed (which would be bad, since it'd begin firing full auto non-stop immediately upon chambering a round). The only way to stop it would be to remove the mag or grasp/hold the charging handle in a rearward position.

Quoted:
Slower reload times?  42 rounds are just as easy to load as 30 rounders.  I have heavy MG barrels and they are just as easy and quick to exchange as 20" and shorter barrels.  Never heard of nonremovable AUG MG barrels.  It does not even make sense.  MGs need rapidly changeable barrels unless they are water cooled as WWI guns.
I agree, but do most AUG LMG gunners even carry a spare barrel?

If they do I'd like to see a pic of their setup. (Do they have an insulated barrel carrier to place a hot barrel into?)

I can change an AUG barrel just as fast as an M60E3 barrel. They both have an attached handle to grasp, and the latch on either is easily released. Both need the bolt to be open when it happens (actually the conventional closed-bolt select-fire AUG has an advantage there with its automatic BHO).

I wouldn't necessarily say a fixed barrel on a LMG is a deal-breaker, but it's certainly nice to have the QC feature (assuming spare barrels are available).

My RPD doesn't have that feature, so I have to be cognizant of adhering to the heat limitations of its max firing schedule (which is reached within 2x 100-round belts). The wood handguards will definitely let the gunner know.
Bakelite or aluminum handguards can generally tolerate 2 whole belts (depending on ambient temperature) but really it's the barrel one is saving by avoiding such extreme heat.

Colt's LMG and IAR don't have quick-change barrels either, unfortunately.

The only AUG variants I'm aware of without the QC barrel latch are the USR (which simply had the button/latch severed so as to require a tool or bullet tip) and certain variations of the AUG Z produced for import where it's a legal requirement for civilian firearms.

EDIT: I thought the open-bolt AUG LMG has an automatic bolt hold-open, but judging from the 1 photo I can find of the trigger pack, it appears that it does not (unless there's an interface to allow the magazine follower to disconnect the sear that I can't see).

There seems to be very little info available on these. I can't even find a video of one firing where someone empties the mag.
(My only experience with full auto AUGs has been closed-bolt conversions.)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#14]
@Frens

Awesome job posting your second pic with all info/artwork intact!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
A couple cool things about the 42rd magazine:

-A 42rd AUG mag is the same size as a 30rd Polymer AK47 magazine, and shorter then a 40rd AR15 PMAG

-42rds is 40% more ammo then 30rd

-5x 42rd mags = 210rd, identical to the standard 7x30rd magazine loadout

-7x42rd mags = 294rds, about the same as 6x40rd mags + a D60 (300rd)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top