Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2018 3:06:03 AM EDT
I found a Sten submachine gun I am interested in buying. What is the going rate for a pre 86 papered sten ? I am talking a tube gun, rebuilt not an original English gun.

Seller claimed the manufacturer is H&R, I'm sure not Harrington & Richardson I am wondering if its a smaller company who made some tube guns, completely separate from Harrington & Richardson who just happened to have the same letters. , I am trying to get more pictures from him with the markings.  Anyone know anything about H&R stens ? Decent or something stay away from ?

Also if I was to buy a MG from an out of state dealer the transfer from him to my local SOT dealer is usually pretty fast correct ? I'd be a little nervous with my money tied up to an out of state dealer waiting a long time for the transfer, I know I'd have a long wait before I got approved to take it but I'd feel better once its in local hands.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#1]
STEN guns are a bit of a roll of the dice. There were some really good tubes and kit builders and some not so good tubes and kit builders. The inconsistency between original magazines plays a big part in this as well.

I have never heard of "H&R" as a kit builder but I am not any sort of expert on transferable STENs.

My NFA guy told me last weekend that Dealer to Dealer transfers are going really fast as of late.

Personally, I probably would not buy a STEN unless I had a opportunity to at least examine it in person or I knew (and trusted) who it was coming from.

ETA- I haven't been looking lately but if I were in the market for a STEN, I would expect to pay ~$7,000 from a Dealer plus the stamp and any transfer fees, taxes, etc.. As you probably know transferable machinegun prices are volatile and tend to be all over the place at any given moment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, I am also looking at a H&R gun. Been shopping for one for awhile and this is the first I have heard of this manufacturer, I'm assuming it some random company that made them before 86. I'm not too worried about function, these things are stupidly simple to work on if needed.

If its the same one I have been watching its on a form 4 not a form 3, which means if its an out of state transfer then it has to go from him(individual) to a dealer in your state, then from your dealer to you. So you end up paying for two stamps and wait twice as long. Which sucks unless it goes for cheap. Which it won't. Prices all seem to be around 7-7500.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
$7K is the going rate.

I bought a Taylor. Has plenty of wear but works just fine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, I am also looking at a H&R gun. Been shopping for one for awhile and this is the first I have heard of this manufacturer, I'm assuming it some random company that made them before 86. I'm not too worried about function, these things are stupidly simple to work on if needed.

If its the same one I have been watching its on a form 4 not a form 3, which means if its an out of state transfer then it has to go from him(individual) to a dealer in your state, then from your dealer to you. So you end up paying for two stamps and wait twice as long. Which sucks unless it goes for cheap. Which it won't. Prices all seem to be around 7-7500.
View Quote
Its probably the same one. Yes he told me on a form 4. I will probably end up passing on that one I think.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$7K is the going rate.

I bought a Taylor. Has plenty of wear but works just fine.
View Quote
FUCK!

i paid $800 in 1998

absolutely ridiculous NFA is a rich man's game now

OP, if you get a sten buy or have made a speed bolt

1000rpm+ out of a sten is awesome
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
H&R Guns is not Harrington & Richardson - they were a small company that made some tube guns.  And like Makarov said, I would at least want examine before deciding to buy.
View Quote
They were run out of a shop just south of 1-4 in Plant City FL...... I purchased a stripped tube from them in 92-93 for 600.00. Paid them 150.00 to weld up my kit "while you wait"

Owner (Howard ?) was a nice guy and a superb machinist......was big into Ham radios as well. My old F4 lists "H R Arms Works  Plant City, FL" as the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FUCK!

i paid $800 in 1998

absolutely ridiculous NFA is a rich man's game now

OP, if you get a sten buy or have made a speed bolt

1000rpm+ out of a sten is awesome
View Quote
I'm going to need more info on what this speed bolt is. I'm guessing its just a regular bolt that's been lightened? If so, by how much?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Who would have a speed bolt?  Or who could I contact about getting one made?

Adam d.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IIRC, the original STEn speed bolts were primarily or completely made of bronze instead of steel. Really boosted the ROF nicely. They were a military modification after WWII (again, IIRC) and I don't know of anyone making them commercially.
View Quote
They are basically MK2S bolts , but used with a non-ported regular barrel. The original porting on the MK2S bbl is so significant, the lightened bolt was req. in order to actually function. Take a MK2S bolt and put it in a standard gun, and the  ROF jumps up to around 800rpm's.

Sten "speed bolt" at top......identical to a MK2S bolt......just chuck a standard bolt in a lathe and turn it down till your rof is where you want it....you'll eventually start beating up the end cap retaining slots in your receiver running one of them...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top