Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2020 9:16:45 PM EDT
How did the Bundeswehr keep steel mags from rusting? I had some MP5 mags in a mag carrier that got wet and started to show some rust spots. The mags were lightly oiled previously (or I think they would have been completely orange) but how did they keep mags from rusting in the field, or was this just something of little concern as they’re a consumable? All my experience is with aluminum mags, or polymer. Never been in the field with steel mags.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to piss on them.  It works. Trust me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
got a few of them-I think they have some sort of Teflon style coating on them. Don't have an HK to compare but I don't expect any problems
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The same way GIs did in ww2 kor and VN, they cleaned them all the time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That’s what I was thinking. Got to be a pain in the ass in field conditions. I guess being pretty much born in the aluminum/polymer era I’m spoiled.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Wax or grease. Hornaday one shot works great.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some well-applied RIG grease would not go amiss.

Keeping them away from Louisiana is also a good plan.
My HK ones are all hot caustic blued, and rust easily. I have more of the old KCI mags, which are zinc phosphate coated (better).
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Loved the food and the people, didn't care much for the climate when I was there, too much like Houston.
My HK ones are all hot caustic blued, and rust easily. I have more of the old KCI mags, which are zinc phosphate coated (better).
I was thinking about having a coating or different finish applied, but I don't know if I want to go that route. But finding small orange spots on my mags after being around rain (not even in actual rain) raised some concerns. I just ordered some of the spray lube suggested above to try out, figure it will be good for inside the mag tubes as well.
Last Friday I had a frantic hour downloading, disassembling, cleaning up, lubing, reassembling, and reloading 6 MP5 mags that got wet after we got several inches of rain in the area. I typically wipe the mags down after each range or cleaning session with some CLP but apparently that was insufficient.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
CLP evaporates within a week or so and, contrary to popular belief, has little/no lasting preservative effects.

I really like RIG and it is common/inexpensive.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I cringe when I see those older pics of SEAL's coming out of the ocean with MP5's even though most of them are rubber ducks.   They must have some cleaning regimen for them or they would be trashed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I cringe when I see those older pics of SEAL's coming out of the ocean with MP5's even though most of them are rubber ducks.   They must have some cleaning regimen for them or they would be trashed.
View Quote
When I lived in East Texas my local dealer was a big time NFA guy. Allegedly, there was a PD SWAT team that had gotten a full load out of HK weapons: MP5s, PSG, USP, Benellis, everything. They went to a shooting school and at the end, one of the guys had claimed to have been a SEAL and told them about how they cleaned weapons in Vietnam by taking them into the shower. So they did just that, and then stowed their weapons in Pelicans and drove or flew them home. On returning and opening their cases, (again allegedly) they had a nice set of orange HKs.
No idea how accurate this was.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On returning and opening their cases, (again allegedly) they had a nice set of orange HKs.
No idea how accurate this was.
View Quote
That sounds pretty accurate.
lol

They would've needed to dry the parts prior to lubrication and reassembly.

The problem with MP5s (and all the legacy RDB HKs really) is there are impossible-to-reach areas inside the sheet metal receiver (like around the trunion) where displacing the water is extremely difficult.

If I knew I'd be going swimming with one, I'd strive to get all those places completely filled with grease, so the water couldn't get there in the first place, and upon return... after soaking in (hot) fresh water, use WD-40 to displace any residual water, followed by a meticulously thorough cleaning, with weekly inspections for the next few months.

A solvent tank (parts washer) bath would be even better.

It's my understanding that outside of propaganda/recruitment media, SEALs utilize tough, buoyancy-compensating, waterproof "dry bags" for their weapons, and the only ones which may actually get exposed to seawater would be those of the team's scout/swimmer pair (that conducts the initial surf zone recon), but I'm going to theorize that even they tend to use bags and avoid opening them whenever possible. I don't believe OTB insertions are anywhere near as common as TV would have us believe, and they tend to do aerial or vehicular insertions on most ops.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
MP-5's weren't general issue to the BW.....

They went to the Federal Police, BGS, and special forces.....

Carried a little....shot even less, and cleaned a lot.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's my understanding that outside of propaganda/recruitment media, SEALs utilize tough, buoyancy-compensating, waterproof "dry bags" for their weapons, and the only ones which may actually get exposed to seawater would be those of the team's scout/swimmer pair (that conducts the initial surf zone recon), but I'm going to theorize that even they tend to use bags and avoid opening them whenever possible. I don't believe OTB insertions are anywhere near as common as TV would have us believe, and they tend to do aerial or vehicular insertions on most ops.
View Quote
There was a recent book by one of the more prominent/well-known/publicized SEALs that mentioned having a heavy plastic bag that basically had a built-in glove for firing in a wet environment. I can't remember who it was, might have been the guy that wrote the Bin Laden book or maybe the 5.11 guy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top