Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2020 12:56:02 PM EDT
I had someone come in wanting to buy handgun, is a resident of our state, is a permanent resident of the United States. Not sure how question 12a needs to be answered on the 4473, and the form doesn't really explain what needs to be done in this case. Our NICS agents we call our background checks in with and the ATF website didn't really have much guidance. Anyone run into this?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had someone come in wanting to buy handgun, is a resident of our state, is a permanent resident of the United States. Not sure how question 12a needs to be answered on the 4473, and the form doesn't really explain what needs to be done in this case. Our NICS agents we call our background checks in with and the ATF website didn't really have much guidance. Anyone run into this?
View Quote

I would have them check "Other Country/Countries" and specify "Stateless". It would not be a disqualifying response anyway.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
How would you enter that on a computerized NICS check?  Is there a code for Stateless?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
How would you enter that on a computerized NICS check?  Is there a code for Stateless?
View Quote

Not sure, our dealer check system for the state asks for birth country, and if they are a US citizen. If they aren't we have to call it in. I assume the NICS check system they log into asks the same.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
No, in NICS you just enter their citizenship of whatever country they're a citizen of, but since I've never had a stateless customer, I've never looked for a Stateless country code.

Had someone born in Kosovo the other day, and they had citizenship in both Kosovo & Macedonia, I think.  I may have coded their birthplace Yugoslavia, I don't remember.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
How is he not a citizen of some country, somewhere?

While possible, it is pretty rare.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Whole lot of "Palestinians" consider themselves stateless.  Worthless title to land in Israel, Israel won't let them in, not a citizen of anywhere else.  Jordan revoked a lot of Palestinians' citizenship when they expelled them after the rebellion, I'm presuming.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Whole lot of "Palestinians" consider themselves stateless.  Worthless title to land in Israel, Israel won't let them in, not a citizen of anywhere else.  Jordan revoked a lot of Palestinians' citizenship when they expelled them after the rebellion, I'm presuming.
View Quote

What they consider themselves is irrelevant. I am talking legally being stateless and living as PR in the USA and being eligible to buy a gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd say being a US PR, and born in a Palestinian refugee camp in Lebanon would make you legally stateless.  Lebanon doesn't consider you a citizen, the PA might, but Israel won't let you in so you can't get to the PA.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
US citizenship or citizenship in a foreign country is not a requirement to acquire a firearm. Being here legally is.

Two dozen countries do not confer automatic citizenship to children if the father is unknown, missing or dead.
In Myanmar (Burma), only members of certain ethnic groups are eligible for citizenship.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say being a US PR, and born in a Palestinian refugee camp in Lebanon would make you legally stateless.  Lebanon doesn't consider you a citizen, the PA might, but Israel won't let you in so you can't get to the PA.
View Quote

If PA recognizes you as a citizen, you do not have to get there to be a citizen, you already are. While UN and many countries recognize Palestine as a sovereign state, US does not though.

It is really hard to be stateless and living as PR in the USA and being eligible to buy a gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Two dozen countries do not confer automatic citizenship to children if the father is unknown, missing or dead.
In Myanmar (Burma), only members of certain ethnic groups are eligible for citizenship.
View Quote

Now that would work if they could legally get to the US and get PR status.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top