Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2021 11:37:01 AM EDT
I've been around air guns since the 70's. Just simple Daisy/Crosman stuff. Had a wild hair two weeks ago and pulled out my current guns:
Crosman 760 pumpmaster... a household staple IMO
Remington (Crosman) Vantage  springer

Thought to myself, why not get a pistol... hours of research lead me to a Beeman Sportsman Delux model 2004 (P17). $33
Works great and has really nice trigger. Accuracy  at 8 yards is about a quarter off hand
Attachment Attached File

Then I said, lets get you a better rifle. So, I have a Beeman R7 on its way as I type. Sells for $300 and gets good reviews. I may try a Simmons .22 mag scope on it.
Attachment Attached File

So then I say, I need one of those Crosman 1377 pistols like my uncle let me shoot... Say no more , $60
Attachment Attached File

I'll be adding C02 and probably PCP in the future just because. It's fun being able to shoot indoors and out this time of year.

Built an indoor/outdoor silent pellet trap in my shop. Basically a box, lined in back with carpet, then added a big bag stuffed with rags and such.  Add some slots and cut the center out of clipboard and bam! Target holder trap thingy... Works great.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If I get an airgun it will be a break-action.  Your Beeman R7 is nice, but a little underpowered (.177 @ 700 fps.)  It's designed that way to make it easier to charge.

I'm looking at the Hatsan 125 (.22 @ 1000 fps.)  Around $250.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a source for high pressure air a pre-charged pneumatic is where it's at.

Benjamin Marauder is a safe bet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have a source for high pressure air a pre-charged pneumatic is where it's at.

Benjamin Marauder is a safe bet.
View Quote

The Marauder kept coming up in my search. Not fully up to speed with PCP... can one use a specific hand pump or is that no-go.
By source do you mean a scuba shop? Yes, one within 2 miles..
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I get an airgun it will be a break-action.  Your Beeman R7 is nice, but a little underpowered (.177 @ 700 fps.)  It's designed that way to make it easier to charge.

I'm looking at the Hatsan 125 (.22 @ 1000 fps.)  Around $250.
View Quote

I chose the .177 due to being used by nephews/nieces, wife... For backyard fun it will do. I've been using the Remington Vantage for squirrel control... The R7 should do well. 15 yard shots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Marauder kept coming up in my search. Not fully up to speed with PCP... can one use a specific hand pump or is that no-go.
By source do you mean a scuba shop? Yes, one within 2 miles..
View Quote
Exactly.  I'd call them before you purchase anything and make sure they are familiar with your needs and will serve you.  I've heard of shops that shy away from non divers.

You're looking at around 3K psi.  You can use a hand pump but many people say it's a lot of effort.  Most folks buy a suitable air tank and have them filled at a scuba, paintball or fire extinguisher service.  I've read some firehouses can fill as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I,too,have went down the rabbit hole. Got back into airguns 7-8 years ago with a Benjamin .177 NP. Since then-   I'm retired now so I'm pretty much done buying,other than CO2 and pellets or BBs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
My R7 is my favorite due to arthritis in hands,fingers,shoulders. The Xisico XS-25 SFB is a close 2nd[professionally tuned]. The grandsons[and me] get a hoot out of the M1A1 and MP 40 full auto BB guns.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Will a .22 scope work OK on the R7? I have a couple laying around.

3x9 32mm Simmons .22 Mag
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Will a .22 scope work OK on the R7? I have a couple laying around.

3x9 32mm Simmons .22 Mag
View Quote

It might. The recoil impulse is totally different on a springer than a powder burner and destroy non air gun rated scopes. The R7 isn't as bad as some in that way.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:30:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The thing about spring air guns, is that they break common scopes due to the shape and speed of their recoil impulse.

That R-7 is an awesome rig and you will love it with irons or scope.

Now, to help you find a scope, you will need to shop specifically for ones that are specified as okay for spring air guns.

They don’t have to be expensive, just have to state they are okay for spring guns.

Sort these by price and you will get an idea.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/scopes/?p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=11&pg=1&CatalogSetSortBy=price

https://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessories/Scopes/1_tube/93?orderBy=price_asc
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, looking at the following

UTG big buster 3x9
Hawke Vantage 2x7

Am I wrong thinking the 2x7 would be better at 10/15 yards?

And a sticky in this thread listed to get a one piece mount for springers...  is that still true? Found a Hawke med mount running about $22
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks, looking at the following

UTG big buster 3x9
Hawke Vantage 2x7

Am I wrong thinking the 2x7 would be better at 10/15 yards?

And a sticky in this thread listed to get a one piece mount for springers...  is that still true? Found a Hawke med mount running about $22
View Quote

I went with the Hawke and a one piece mount. For 1-15 yards it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Found specs on the Hawke site...

Vantage scope body is 4.5"
One piece mount is 4.7"

Guess I have some research to do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Found specs on the Hawke site...

Vantage scope body is 4.5"
One piece mount is 4.7"

Guess I have some research to do.
View Quote

I used this mount-BKL 1-Pc Mount, 1" Rings, 3/8" or 11mm Dovetail, 3" Long, Matte Black.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks... That helps, found some mounts that will fit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I ended up getting the Hawke 2x7 32mm AO scope and UTG medium profile one-piece mount. I'll post some setup pics once eveything is installed.

Of note, I saw an old video at Pyramid air guns where the old boy didn't like one-piece mounts. Less adjustable and not good for some top breach rifles. I'm sure it will be fine on my R7.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#17]
We have a lot in common.

My first air rifle as a Kid was a Crosman 760. It was fun as a kid but if I'm being honest, its really a cheap POS lol

I now have a Beeman P3 (The older, much more expensive version of the P17) and a Weihrauch HW30S. My HW30 also has a Hawke scope and Sportsmatch low rings...

I've toyed with the idea of getting a Custom shop 2240 and tricking it out but haven't gotten around to it. I'd really like to get into PCP but can't get past the start up costs. If I do, I want to build out a Benjamin Marauder into a short, light setup. Something like this...

I also do the bullet trap in the basement thing but went with a Champion 22 version as I also shoot suppressed 22LR down there. I do need to do something to quiet down the trap itself.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top