Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2018 5:11:43 AM EDT
I am in the eirly stages of trying to get my FFL. I’m going to use Legalzoom.com to get my LLC, EIN# and DBA name (I’m open to other suggestions and/or options). Any ideas if I should also do an S-Corp also? I am hoping to have a home based FFL doing transfers, online sales via gunbroker.com and own website to start and see where it goes from there. Am I waisting my time going thru this process? Is there any money to be made? Any advice of what not to do or things I should do?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no money in new guns.

1000's of sites all ready selling accessories what are you going to do that sets you apart from everyone else?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an FFL for 5 years as a pawnbroker.  The gun sales side did not make enough profit to pay the utilities.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I am an FFL with an SOT.  I think you will have a hard time making money on Gunbroker. You will make 35-50 on a new gun if you want to be competitive locally. You will have a hard time being competitive with the internet.

You can make a little  money doing transfers from home but I personally wouldn't want people in my house.  You can also make a little money doing cleaning and general repairs.

The gun business is a tough business. You can easily pay for the cost of the license but if you want to make an actual living you need to have a solid business plan, a unique business model, and be prepared to work more hours than you would have to at a normal job.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, set up as an S-Corp.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Invest your money in the stock market.  You will get a much better return for very little effort.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to make a little money in the gun business, start with a lot. 

There may be reasons for many to want an FFL, but in 2018, you most likely missed the bus.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am in the eirly stages of trying to get my FFL. I’m going to use Legalzoom.com to get my LLC, EIN# and DBA name (I’m open to other suggestions and/or options). Any ideas if I should also do an S-Corp also? I am hoping to have a home based FFL doing transfers, online sales via gunbroker.com and own website to start and see where it goes from there. Am I waisting my time going thru this process? Is there any money to be made? Any advice of what not to do or things I should do?
View Quote
The gun industry is a billion dollar business. You can make a lot of money. Are you prepared to do the work to achieve that? The plan you highlite in the OP does not seem so. Nothing wrong with that, set your expectations accordingly.

Magpul started out selling rubber doohickeys attached to you AR magazine. Look where they are now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am hoping to have a home based FFL doing transfers.....I do 2000 transfers a year from home. It took four years to get there.
online sales via gunbroker.com and own website to start......unless you are buying $10K a month you will never beat Buds, Palmetto, etc.
and see where it goes from there......have a better plan than that.
Am I waisting my time going thru this process? Write a business plan, do your research. There are a lot of naysayers that you can't make $$$ in the gun business, but if your market can support it you sure as hell can.
Is there any money to be made? That is entirely dependent on your local market and your work ethic.
Any advice of what not to do or things I should do?
DO:
Write a well researched business plan.
Read, read, read. This subforum, this subforum's archives, every gun forum with a "legal" or FFL subforum, EVERYTHING at ATF.gov for a start.
DON'T:
Spend a nickel on how to get your FFL Easy 1234, FFL for dummies.
Assume that because you like guns it will be enjoyable or fun.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If your plan is to sell online and make bank you're going to need a new plan.

Some companies (a big vendor here that I wont name) sometimes sell products at a loss, lower than distributor price as loss leaders.  It's impossible to compete with that.  Other companies sells at $1-2 markups and drop ship.  That is a lot of effort to do a drop ship order and maintain everything for a buck.

Now if you innovate and bring something new to the table you'll make bank.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
If I could go back in time when I applied for my FFL and naturally got my FFL I wouldn't have done it.

The profit is laughable at best on most things, you need to have a very specific niche market and be really good at it to make any real money... or do a TON of volume.  Services is basically where you can make some money, such as gunsmithing, cleaning, refinishing etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top