Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2020 8:13:27 PM EDT
I purchased a Star Model B today as a curio. I shot it and it functioned fine.

Where can I pick up magazines? Any known weaknesses? Any source for spare part?

Anyone tell me how to post pictures? I would be interested if some of you could see what I have and tell me more about it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:42:46 PM EDT
I have a few star pistols.
5 actually.
I will say you want to stick with factory mags.
Have you looked up the date on it yet?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:13:25 PM EDT
Jules used a blinged out one.

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:54:02 PM EDT
I have not. Bought it on a whim and have to wait 72 hours to pick it up (thanks Illinois Nazis.) How would I go about looking up the date?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:03:09 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bg00gt:
I have a few star pistols.
5 actually.
I will say you want to stick with factory mags.
Have you looked up the date on it yet?
View Quote
Do you have a source for factory mags?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:58:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By agman:

Do you have a source for factory mags?
View Quote
Hard to find.  I need to find some.  I have a Model B Super in 9mm Largo and one in 9x19 Parabellum.

Fine little pistols, but they definitely are picky about mags.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:46:58 PM EDT
I have a B and a B SUPER, got my spare magazines of ebay at different times. I believe the B has 2 different versions of magazines, narrow base and wide base. They do not interchange.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:08:31 PM EDT
When Sarco had the mags and surplus spanish ammo for cheap... I bought a bunch... over 1k of ammo and at least 6 mags for $15 each (my father had bought at least 4 largo supers, he was a bit of a hoarder). As I live locally, it was very helpful to be able to examine the mags as it seemed the lips were cracked at the back of the mag on at least 1/4 of the mags examined. On the other hand, the ammo they had was 100% sure fire, regardless of the year manufactured. All of the pistols my father had were the wide base ones, so it was easy to source the mags... which were all Sarco had at the time anyway.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:22:50 PM EDT
Ebay or gun broker. I have been lucky to get spare mags when I bought the pistols. My B model even came with matching serials. I got 4 mags with one of the BM.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:24:41 PM EDT
I have not. Bought it on a whim and have to wait 72 hours to pick it up (thanks Illinois Nazis.) How would I go about looking up the date?
View Quote
http://star-firearms.com/firearms/proof.shtml
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:27:33 PM EDT
https://www.jgsales.com/star-bm,-9mm-luger,-compact-semi-auto-pistol,-good,-blued,-used.-p-101051.html?osCsid=4c9c2820c3427bb751ff9deaacf32562

They have mags listed as an add on for $20
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:21:52 PM EDT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thanks. Looks like mine is a "Z" so 1954.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:26:11 AM EDT
https://www.jgsales.com/star-bm,-9mm-luger,-compact-semi-auto-pistol,-good,-blued,-used.-p-101051.html?osCsid=4c9c2820c3427bb751ff9deaacf32562

They have mags listed as an add on for $20
View Quote
Star BM takes different mags.  On a related note, apparently Promag is making Star BM mags now.  I wonder if they're any good.  They're definitely inexpensive.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:48:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:24:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jnk556:
I bought a extra aftermarket mag for my B years ago at a gunshow.  Got it for $15 so I figured if it didnt work right I wouldn't be out much.  I tried it and it works every bit as good as my 2 numbers matching originals.  Wish I knew what brand it was, and bought all they had now....
View Quote
Triple K?  They still make Model B magazines AFAIK.  They probably cost a bit less on average, new, than used originals.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:53:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:34:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
Triple K?  They still make Model B magazines AFAIK.  They probably cost a bit less on average, new, than used originals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
Originally Posted By jnk556:
I bought a extra aftermarket mag for my B years ago at a gunshow.  Got it for $15 so I figured if it didnt work right I wouldn't be out much.  I tried it and it works every bit as good as my 2 numbers matching originals.  Wish I knew what brand it was, and bought all they had now....
I ordered a Triple K mag. It's been working flawlessly so far.

This is a neat little gun. Bubba'ed the hammer some to decrease bite, added Wolff recoil springs and cleaned the snot out of it. Think I'm going to try making some grips for it.
Top Top