Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2018 10:05:08 PM EDT
I need honest input on these two mounts for a beginner diving in. I'm in the process of piecing together my first complete setup. So far I've got a helmet and IR on the way. I'm waiting for the right used deal (or maybe a sale from a vendor) on the PVS14 itself. I'm either going grab a Rhino II or the Wilcox G11 for it.

Is the G11 worth the extra cost? I mean, is it really worth it? From what I've read, the Rhino II is vastly better than the original Rhino and locks up solid. I'll be using a lanyard/attachment with either mount. However, I'm not opposed to spending more on the G11 if there are benefits that make it worthwhile. Sell me on either system - I'm not really in for the cool factor, more or less functionality. I don't have any plans to dovetail anytime soon. This will be my first unit and hopefully last me a few satisfactory years to recover before I bridge, or buy a second complete setup
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The G11 is definitely smoother, more refined, and has a better arm locking mechanism, but for the money the Rhino II is hard to beat. If I where to do it all over again on a budget to buy other/better NV gear I'd buy a Rhino II, a Norotos dual dovetail adapter (skip the J Arm with all the wobble) and a Norotos 15/18 dovetail socket all around for about 240.00
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The G11 is definitely smoother, more refined, and has a better arm locking mechanism, but for the money the Rhino II is hard to beat. If I where to do it all over again on a budget to buy other/better NV gear I'd buy a Rhino II, a Norotos dual dovetail adapter (skip the J Arm with all the wobble) and a Norotos 15/18 dovetail socket all around for about 240.00
View Quote
I already have a Rhino II but would like to do the dovetail conversion for a single PVS-14. What all would I need and where can I get it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I already have a Rhino II but would like to do the dovetail conversion for a single PVS-14. What all would I need and where can I get it?
View Quote
TNVC has the best price I've found on the socket and NV in general. Give them a call they're an excellent company to deal with.
https://tnvc.com/shop/norotos-pvs-15-pvs-18-socket-for-aka2-mount/
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

TNVC has the best price I've found on the socket and NV in general. Give them a call they're an excellent company to deal with.
https://tnvc.com/shop/norotos-pvs-15-pvs-18-socket-for-aka2-mount/
View Quote
It's not so much the adapter but then another $200 on the dovetail arm (wilcox I believe).
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO buy the rhino II use the bayonet and j arm the Pvs-14 comes with When your ready upgrade the rhino II to dovetail and buy the Wilcox j arm.
(You’ll want a dovetail eventually)
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I never used a Wilcox J arm, but there are a lot of reviews saying there is a lot of up and down movement.
http://hudsongravity.com/2016/12/18/why-the-wilcox-j-arm-is-bad-and-why-wilcox-should-feel-bad/
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the G11 and the J arm. The G11 is really nice but the lever action is a tad heavy going up or down, and it has a bit of an audible clunk if you're not careful. Not a big deal for me overall but I try to be as quiet as I can while hunting

The J arm definitely has wobble but it's ok to me when walking or scanning from a stationary position. Not as stable on the run though
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I never used a Wilcox J arm, but there are a lot of reviews saying there is a lot of up and down movement.
http://hudsongravity.com/2016/12/18/why-the-wilcox-j-arm-is-bad-and-why-wilcox-should-feel-bad/
View Quote
Yeah, if OP is going to do the rhino 2 mod, then skip the wilcox because:

A: Sometimes Wilcox & Norotos stuff doesn't play well together &

B: The Norotos Dual dovetail adaptor is titties for a 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top