Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2022 9:15:51 AM EDT
I picked up a Sig Rattler yesterday with the goal of a small/portable travel gun in a real caliber. It’s not much bigger than my flux braced glock or the flux Sig I traded off to help pay for it.

Conflicted on if I should stamp and stock it or not. I would keep the brace for when I travel out of state.

I know stocks are better than braces. I’ve done an AR SBR/SBS/cans so I’m not a stranger to the process but the stock floppy ass brace is terrible.

Do I spend $200 on a mod 1 and adapter or do I spend $200 on a stock and $200 on a stamp?

I’m unlikely to travel with the can out of state. This was already an expensive purchase so any option will take a bit. Especially since I want a cloud defensive light and better red dot for it…Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Finally! Congrats!

I have the same conundrum. To further complicate things, in my state you can travel with a loaded handgun in your car and conceal a loaded handgun on your person, but not rifles.

Since my purpose for the gun was to carry in a small backpack in case of unrest, etc I want to be able to use it as a pistol.

But the rest of the time I'd prefer to shoot it as God intended... With a stock.

I actually already have a stock that I switched out on my MPX.

What I've decided to do is build an AR lower as a pistol with the rear conversion piece, and SBR the Rattler lower.

That way I can switch them out as needed.

Of course that will eventually lead to an 11.5" 556 mcx upper or something since the other lower will just be sitting there empty most of the time...
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Finally! Congrats!

I have the same conundrum. To further complicate things, in my state you can travel with a loaded handgun in your car and conceal a loaded handgun on your person, but not rifles.

Since my purpose for the gun was to carry in a small backpack in case of unrest, etc I want to be able to use it as a pistol.

But the rest of the time I'd prefer to shoot it as God intended... With a stock.

I actually already have a stock that I switched out on my MPX.

What I've decided to do is build an AR lower as a pistol with the rear conversion piece, and SBR the Rattler lower.

That way I can switch them out as needed.

Of course that will eventually lead to an 11.5" 556 mcx upper or something since the other lower will just be sitting there empty most of the time...
View Quote

Thanks! Sold some other stuff to fund it but I’ve been looking for a rifle caliber backpack gun for like 7 years. This fits all the bills for me so I figured what the hell

In my current state a pistol or rifle is fine to carry. But pistols are gtg in neighboring states and I have permits for them.

My thought was get the stock and if I’m going to travel just swap the brace back on rather than filing the ATF travel form. Basically make it back into a pistol for the trip.

I’ve not gotten to play with one with a stock yet so not sure the comfort is worth the $400 or not
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Functionally I can't really tell the difference when shooting between the helicopter brace and a stock. The only stocks I've used on the MPX are the collapsible, the minimalist, and the minimalist plus. The helicopter brace is annoying because it does move around, but if you are going to solve that anyway, you're probably not looking at much difference functionally. Even if you don't fix it, it's mostly unnoticeable when shooting, so you'd likely be just fine as is.

I want to get the folding/collapsible stock for mine, so it handles more like a carbine.

Also if you're looking to fix the helicopter brace, this is what I would get instead of the Gearhead works. It's $50

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
ugh. I actually just ordered one of those brace things. I forgot about them until I was replying to you. this site always costs me money...

It's $60 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Functionally I can't really tell the difference when shooting between the helicopter brace and a stock. The only stocks I've used on the MPX are the collapsible, the minimalist, and the minimalist plus. The helicopter brace is annoying because it does move around, but if you are going to solve that anyway, you're probably not looking at much difference functionally. Even if you don't fix it, it's mostly unnoticeable when shooting, so you'd likely be just fine as is.

I want to get the folding/collapsible stock for mine, so it handles more like a carbine.

Also if you're looking to fix the helicopter brace, this is what I would get instead of the Gearhead works. It's $50

https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/3c6dd194-4fb5-4614-9321-43937359f5ae/ols/IMG_0549.jpg

View Quote

Thanks! I didn’t know about them and have almost exactly $60
To spend on a gift card. May need to order that.

I have a similar shaped brace on my flux stuff. I like it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is why I sold all my braces and SBR'd all my rifle caliber pistols except one braced AR15 lower. It was purchased as a pistol and I have the receipt to prove it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/3c6dd194-4fb5-4614-9321-43937359f5ae/ols/IMG_0549.jpg

View Quote

That actually looks decent.

Since it’s for travel, I would update the brace.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ugh. I actually just ordered one of those brace things. I forgot about them until I was replying to you. this site always costs me money...

It's $60 shipped.
View Quote

@Daggertt dude you were right!!! Love this new brace. So much more support. Not really Eve thinking about a stamp anymore.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]
That's nice!  I like how it lays so flat when folded.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's nice!  I like how it lays so flat when folded.
View Quote

@dmk0210 me too. That's part of the reason I was thinking a stock, they are very slim. I want this to be carried often and without the drama/poking parts of an AR stabbing me in a backpack.

are there "thinner" lights? My other thought is an angled mount to get it to stick closer to the handguard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#11]
you could go with a Surefire Pro, which rotates up closer to the rail.

I went for the Arisaka MCX mount, with their 300 light. Unlike the arisaka website photo, I put mine on the same side the stock folds to to keep everything on one side. Not exactly a budget option...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Whatever you do...don't write down MCX Rattler on the eForm 1.  They'll deny it like they did to me.  It's just MCX as the model.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
you could go with a Surefire Pro, which rotates up closer to the rail.

I went for the Arisaka MCX mount, with their 300 light. Unlike the arisaka website photo, I put mine on the same side the stock folds to to keep everything on one side. Not exactly a budget option...

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7lpxer6ykh/images/stencil/640w/products/977/6246/mcx-8__33157.1613421714.jpg?c=2

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20210926_150157_jpg-2256484.JPG
View Quote

Prettty sure once I started talking to you my “budget” went out the window
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Prettty sure once I started talking to you my "budget" went out the window
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Poll is skewed since it's in the NFA forum.

I travel all over the country and always bring my 11.5 braced pistol, or my 14.5 Block2 clone with a brace on it. Most states are way more lenient about pistols and carry licenses than rifles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a valid poll; you have no choice for stamp and brace. You have to keep your options open.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#17]
The ATF IS  coming down with rules on pistol braces in August..  I have no idea what they will say.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The ATF IS  coming down with rules on pistol braces in August..  I have no idea what they will say.
View Quote
They've already released them last year. There's going to be no legal way to have an AR pistol.

If you read the rules the same way I do, my fucking G17 with irons, light, and RMR will damn near be considered a fucking SBR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
They've already released them last year. There's going to be no legal way to have an AR pistol.

If you read the rules the same way I do, my fucking G17 with irons, light, and RMR will damn near be considered a fucking SBR.
View Quote

While this is in the NFA page im giving less of a fuck what they have to say about anything these days.

Thinking from a utility perspective,  not to what arbitrary rules they may have at the time. Was legal as purchased and on a 4473 so that’s on them
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is why I sold all my braces and SBR'd all my rifle caliber pistols except one braced AR15 lower. It was purchased as a pistol and I have the receipt to prove it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As stupid and useless as the proposal is...........it is actually pretty easy to run an AR pistol.

First and foremost, if you remove the brace (just run a buffer tube), NONE of the new rules apply.

Let me repeat that.
If you remove the brace (just run a buffer tube), NONE of the new rules apply.

The biggest hit are to things like Flux braces, since the AFT says they are not heavy enough to need a brace.  That kinds sucks.

As for the AFT point system, it really isn't that hard to run a braced AR pistol.  I've tried a several combos that would be "Biden Brace Ban" legal.  It is annoying but fine (I'm pissed about the money spent on legal braces that they now deem illegal).  It is fine to the point that I have not bothered to put them back to their old configurations.  

Here is one of them:
7.5" .300blk with an 8" rail and KAK micro flash can.
Law Folder with Phase 5 standard length pistol tube and a Tailhook Mod 1 brace.
"Length of pull" is about 11.3 inches with the Law Folder.  So 1 demerit point for the LOP, and 2 demerit points for the folding adapter.  I pulled the MBUS sights and handstop.

I also have some SB-mini's and an SB-SOB.  LOP on those are also 11.3 inches with standard length pistol tubes, so you actually have 2 demerit points to play with.   I have some flip-to sides 3x magnifiers (2 demerit points) mounted on them.   Like I said, annoying...but not killer.  I'm still looking forward to the lawsuits.

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do I spend $200 on a mod 1 and adapter or do I spend $200 on a stock and $200 on a stamp?
View Quote

I would wait and see what the final ATF rule is before dropping any coin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top