Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2018 10:29:34 PM EDT
I posted this elsewhere but figured some of you might find it of interest here. A couple years ago I bought a new Rossi 92 lever action for the sole purpose of converting it to a SBR for use with a Form 1 can.  I had to wait over a year for the stamp and built the suppressor in the interim for use with a pistol.

This was a joint effort with some help with the build, specifically Morgan @ Class 3 who cut & threaded the barrel and milled the dovetail for the front sight, Steve Young @ Steve’s Gunz who plugged the bolt safety, and THSF who did the engraving using my own design.  Everything else shown was done by yours truly.

The gun has a 10.5” barrel and measures 28.5” overall with a 5+1 round capacity.  With the can it measures 36” and is about the same length as my Marlin 1895GS and 1894CSS.  I just finished this but will update the post after I take it to the range.

Before photos:

Preliminary machine work (thanks to Morgan for the photos)

Adding XS ghost ring sights

Suppressor Construction:

Final machine work

Finish & detail work:

Final assembly

After:

Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that looks great! I wasn't expecting much out of an SBR'd lever action, but that really turned out nice!

I love all of the pics of construction as well - as a guy that has literally zero skills in that area, it's very impressive to see.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Good work!

I'm having a hard time waiting to get a .357 lever and get it threaded for my suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Unique and beautiful rifle!
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish we could just order them that way. Gun looks great.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Bad Ass!! Nice Work!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice looking. Does it eject ok? Mine didn’t no matter what I did.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Great thread and great looking rifle. My journey starts this week though I'm undecided about the SBR route.
Thanks for the info too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, that looks great! I wasn't expecting much out of an SBR'd lever action, but that really turned out nice!

I love all of the pics of construction as well - as a guy that has literally zero skills in that area, it's very impressive to see.
View Quote
Yeah, very nice!
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Mighty fine work!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Impressive! not to often you see that much attention to detail put into something in this age of bolt ons.

how are you liking the Double hybrid clip on the baffles? I'm bebating on trying it on my next F1 can
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice! . I'm always on the lookout for a lever action host even if I don't SBR it, but the cowboy action shooters around here keep those really scarce.

Where did you get the booster housing and is it for a 1.375 X 1.259 X 24tpi DM tube?  I'm looking to send in another Form 1 and I really don't want to fabricate a booster housing if I can buy one at a reasonable cost.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely beautiful OP. Nice work!

Quoted:
I wish we could just order them that way. Gun looks great.
View Quote
It wouldn't surprise me if someone starts making SBRs to sell if Rossi production comes back to stay.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Stunning!
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#15]
That is an awesome setup and great machine work!

Go kill some hogs with it and post pics!
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#16]
That is a sharp looking rifle! I really shouldn't have clicked into this thread. I'm patiently waiting for marlin to release their threaded 1894, but now I am going to start looking for a Rossi if they come out sooner. I really like the contrast between the stainless and the wood!
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It wouldn't surprise me if someone starts making SBRs to sell if Rossi production comes back to stay.
View Quote
doubtful. most who sbr's rossi's would just buy the mares leg pistol then put a stock on it. nothing like this build.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#18]
damn that looks nice
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
doubtful. most who sbr's rossi's would just buy the mares leg pistol then put a stock on it. nothing like this build.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I agree it is doubtful I don't see what that has to do with the rest of your comment. If a company did it they would most like do the same thing as I assume it's a lot easier to fit the stock vs shortening the barrel and mag tube and the work associated with that.

What I want is the factory to do it because for them the cost difference would be negligible. Once a third party gets involved the price goes up quickly. I would really love a little 10" Marlin 357.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

While I agree it is doubtful I don't see what that has to do with the rest of your comment. If a company did it they would most like do the same thing as I assume it's a lot easier to fit the stock vs shortening the barrel and mag tube and the work associated with that.

What I want is the factory to do it because for them the cost difference would be negligible. Once a third party gets involved the price goes up quickly. I would really love a little 10" Marlin 357.
View Quote
The Rossi 92(also under puma,legacy arms branding) has been around for quite some time and I have yet to see a company specialize in a build like this. now they have cut production options way back (before they came in 357,44,45lc,and 454C) and in a half dozen or more variants of each cartridge. according to their website now only 45LC is available in 5 options.

The beauty of the R92 was it was affordable and built like a tank, however the marlin's always got more attention and took a pretty big chunk of the market share. the Gamers's in CAS also found the appeal of the R92 but often in 45lc (which is why their likely around still)

You also have to take things into perspective of a manufacture. what is the percentage of consumer who wants to buy a factory threaded barrel SBR lever action? my guess is a very low #. so in their eyes it isn't profitable even though like you mentioned it would cost them little to nothing as at the time they stocked short barrels, and mag tubes for their ranch hands.

Lastly the level of attention to detail in this build would cost double what the initial cost of the weapon was. not a whole lot of people willing to drop $1000 into a $500 gun plus stamp. everything is pretty much custom fitted/made from scratch, ect... it's the little things that take alot of time=money if paying someone else. i'm sure the safety shave alone took a great deal of time and it looks perfect.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the compliments guys.  These are just the photo highlights but I actually did a detailed build thread last year on Marlin Owners.  Stuff like this doesn't get a lot of attention there but I figured a lot of you would appreciate this. I still need to update the thread but you can find it here:
Project Stainless Rossi .357 “Lever Scout” SBR

FWIW the gun was actually threaded twice, the first time at the stock 16” length and then again as shown.  This did add to the cost but allowed me to shoot it over the year it took to get the stamp back.  I have a lathe and was going to thread the SBR myself but Morgan did such a good job I wanted him to do it the second time.  He even gave me a discount for sending it back again.

There is a video on the build thread of my buddy shooting it before the conversion but once I can get to the range I’ll make another one in this configuration.  Someone asked about ejection but I don’t have a problem and would never have converted the gun if it didn’t work right from the start.

The can is a Form 1 build using a DM tube and end cap.  The radials and booster assembly are from Venom and the 3-lug adaptor is from Rugged.  The mount was custom ordered from TROS USA in natural stainless and took forever but was worth the wait.  The DHC clips work great compared to the unclipped radials and I occasionally use this on my pistols though it is a little heavy with the booster.

This was not a cheap build and is about as practical as tits on a bull.  That said it is currently the coolest gun I own and everyone that has seen it absolutely loves it.  Mag capacity is low but in a pinch I would use this on deer if I had to, within reasonable distances of course.   I really built it to shoot around the house without letting the neighbors know what I'm up to.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#22]
kingstrider

not sure if you handload but one of the beauties of the R92 is it's strength (not sure if this applies to the stainless models as well) but Paco Kelly on leverguns really touted to it's strength and often loaded loads in the 40-45k realm and it just eats them up. one load that I tried in my 20" blued R92 was a 200gr cast in a 38 +p case loaded to 357 length over lil gun.

this load turns the lowly 357 into a legit medium game hunter touting equal better energy figures than a 30-30. (ie. a "trapper"18.5" 30-30 vs 16-20" 357) he took it a step further making his own poor mans partitions using a 90gr pure lead bullet dropped into the molds then keeping the mold in the melt till the bullets melted then topped offed with a harder alloy for the remaining bullet then checked/lubed and lastly he'd put them in a pie tin with water filled up till the tips were the only thing exposed then he'd use a propane torch to soften the tips.  This amounted to a bullet that could handle the pressure/velocity of this load yet expand to well over 1/2" and retain it's weight to penetrate deep. best of all aside from time these loads are cheap to make so one could get alot of trigger time with them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I do reload and most of what I shoot is cast.  I have already worked up two heavy loads for the gun.  The first uses a Lee 6-cavity copy of the Lyman 358430 that was part of a group buy on another forum.  The second uses a Lee C358-200-RF 6-cavity mold that was modified to make plain base bullets by milling off the gas check shank.  For actual hunting I prefer my suppressed .45 Colt or 45-70.  Bigger heavier bullets are always better.

Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#25]
sweet! I have the same 358-200rf mold but just the two banger. I was wanting to do the same mod to PB. how is that holding up PC'd? or you strictly running them subsonic?

gotta love the big bores. If I get another R92 I want it in 45LC and I figured a 20" shortened to 16" threaded would be the ticket. I may even hunt down a 454C as I think it would keep me from getting an 1895 in 45/70. lol I had a sweet 45 blackhawk that had been re-worked shortened and had a beautiful re-bluing job that I sold thanks to O' to fund my Stamps before 41P went into effect. it was to be my companion for a 45 or 454 R92. oh well such as life.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Just running SS for now, I was going to use the GC version in my Marlin 336SSLTD but sold it a few months ago.  Chopping a 20" gun and reworking the whole magazine tube would be a PITA.  It would be easier to buy the 16" model and just use a barrel extension.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Tell me more about that silver 3-lug attachment.  I've got liberty and griffin cans with 3-lug adapter.  Looking to add a 3-lug mount onto my henry all weather 357.  The gun's already silver so that mount would fit right in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Bump for this greatness and hello from MOwners.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow, talk about nice work!

Picked up a Trapper R92 sometime back in .357, then more recently picked up a Winchester 1892 Short Rifle in .45colt.  The Winchester is much nicer but has the rebounding hammer and tang safety...  Next on the list is a Ranch Hand in .45colt, the Rossi isn't as nice but is cheaper, stronger, and fully functional.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top