Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2021 4:33:17 PM EDT
My daughter has a job that puts her around young inmates.  In that environment the probability of getting stabbed or cut is orders of magnitude higher than getting shot.

I'm trying to find some form of soft body armor for her that would be concealable enough for her to wear without advertising that she is armored.  Most Kevlar clothing I see is advertised as cut proof but not stab proof. Improvised weapons in detention facilities are more often stabbing weapons than slashing.  Looking at dedicated vests all I'm really finding is bullet proof rated armor which should obviously stop a stabbing but the higher rated armored area is much reduced from what the slash proof garments cover.  It's a pretty big trade off.  

The best thing I've found so far is the Wonder Hoodie stab proof hoodie. It certainly fits the bill but at $795 I'm hoping to find a more economical alternative.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel plates will work but they're heavy as hell.  Could check at your local Ren Faire for someone making chain mail vests.  That hoodie sounds decent, though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My daughter has a job that puts her around young inmates.  In that environment the probability of getting stabbed or cut is orders of magnitude higher than getting shot.

I'm trying to find some form of soft body armor for her that would be concealable enough for her to wear without advertising that she is armored.  Most Kevlar clothing I see is advertised as cut proof but not stab proof. Improvised weapons in detention facilities are more often stabbing weapons than slashing.  Looking at dedicated vests all I'm really finding is bullet proof rated armor which should obviously stop a stabbing but the higher rated armored area is much reduced from what the slash proof garments cover.  It's a pretty big trade off.  

The best thing I've found so far is the Wonder Hoodie stab proof hoodie. It certainly fits the bill but at $795 I'm hoping to find a more economical alternative.

View Quote

You're looking for NIJ rated 'Spike' armor designed for prisons.

example:
http://www.mypolicestore.com/Taurus-Spike-3-Armor-000196000072/

https://www.bodyarmordirect.com/products/spike-inserts

Some is super thin, others are pretty thick. This one is very thin:

https://prelabsinc.com/products/soft-armour/spike/stab-body-armour/spk1

A basic level 2/IIIa bulletproof vest is slash proof and highly stab resistant, especially those using unidirectional Twaron/UHMWPE/Dynema.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Go as thin as possible.  If she doesn't wear it because it's uncomfortable, it's worthless.  You won't think a few hundred dollars more is important if it ever saves her life.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Nation Institute of Justice has a link to listed armor that meets NIJ compliance. I believe that lists allows you to search for stab resistant armor if my memory serves. Worth checking out anyways.

Her employer likely has requirements or standards so make sure she checks her work policy for what she’s allowed to wear. Some places are very strict about that I imagine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nation Institute of Justice has a link to listed armor that meets NIJ compliance. I believe that lists allows you to search for stab resistant armor if my memory serves. Worth checking out anyways.

Her employer likely has requirements or standards so make sure she checks her work policy for what she's allowed to wear. Some places are very strict about that I imagine.
View Quote
Concur that National Institute Of Justice has info and standards.  Bulletproofme has some items, and links to NIJ site, for stab-resistant items.  Disclaimer; no financial interest.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Not too expensive, thin, very light:

Spartan Armor Armis Level IIIA plates

I paired these 3/8" plates (1.5lbs per plate) with a First Spear carrier (designed for those thin plates).  While not rifle-round rated, they are very stab proof.  Being a carrier setup, you won't have 360 coverage or around the neck, but they are light and thin enough to wear under a uniformed shirt.

I have First Spear's Slick Ultralightweight Carrier, but plan to upgrade to their Deceptor Carrier

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Im wearing agency issued "Survival Armor" right now. Its not bad, just gets hot in the summer months.

Looks like this should be what we are issued.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Social worker?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Her employer likely has requirements or standards so make sure she checks her work policy for what she’s allowed to wear. Some places are very strict about that I imagine.
View Quote

What is their certification criteria? Newtons of stab force?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Deleted
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

No clue honestly, I just think I recall seeing the searchable list the NIJ links to having a searchable field option for stab resistant armor. Not something I deal with or want, but I was at the list the other day to see if they list helmets.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No clue honestly, I just think I recall seeing the searchable list the NIJ links to having a searchable field option for stab resistant armor. Not something I deal with or want, but I was at the list the other day to see if they list helmets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I admit I didn’t search that hard, but if you see compliance with a standard advertised but can’t easily find the content/criteria for that standard it’s always worrisome...
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
some of the advice for armor here is awful, do your own research and call manufacturers. i dont know why people dont hound manufacturers more. we need to get back in the habbit of expecting someone at an american company to answer the phone and THEY need to get back in the habbit of picking up and not being braindead.

https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/equipment-and-technology/body-armor
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Enough people made the effort to give me some good advice that I thought this thread deserved an update.

In the end I couldn't get past the long sleeve coverage and the option to pull up the hood to protect her head and neck.  The dress standards for staff are pretty lax at her facility and she said she wears a hoody on most days as it is.  I bit the bullet and bought the Wonder Hoodie SWX.  They replied very quickly to my email to verify sizing based on her measurements. Shipping took a little over a week and I gave to her last Sunday.

Thanks for the responses
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Enough people made the effort to give me some good advice that I thought this thread deserved an update.

In the end I couldn't get past the long sleeve coverage and the option to pull up the hood to protect her head and neck.  The dress standards for staff are pretty lax at her facility and she said she wears a hoody on most days as it is.  I bit the bullet and bought the Wonder Hoodie SWX.  They replied very quickly to my email to verify sizing based on her measurements. Shipping took a little over a week and I gave to her last Sunday.

Thanks for the responses
View Quote

Thanks for the update, that looks like a cool hoodie with interesting performance:

https://wonderhoodie.com/products/stabproof-hoodie?variant=31412291502191
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for the responses
View Quote

What was your initial assessment of the hoodie?  Feel, weight, drape, etc.?  Will be curious to what your daughter thinks of it...I like the concept.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#17]
That's a hell of a gift...but I suppose you can't put a price on her life. Hell, I've bought my dad a USP before...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What was your initial assessment of the hoodie?  Feel, weight, drape, etc.?  Will be curious to what your daughter thinks of it...I like the concept.

ROCK6
View Quote
I was most worried about the weight.  While it's definitely heavier than an all cotton hoodie it's not by huge amount.  It felt pliable and didn't have any real stiff spots.  Different color inside vs out.  Inside is kind of a yellowish and the outside is mostly grey like you see in the video but in my house it had an almost brown hue to it. The fabric itself on the outside had a bit of a polyester weave look and feel to it. I'd say it draped similar to worn canvas.

My daughter was thrilled with it. She put it on immediately and wore it the rest of the evening as she hung out and visited her old man.  She looked comfortable in it and at room temperature in my house she never looked like she was getting to warm.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's a hell of a gift...but I suppose you can't put a price on her life. Hell, I've bought my dad a USP before...
View Quote
Yeah I came here asking for other suggestions because I balked at the price tag.

But then when I thought what that cost would look like if she were in the hospital after being attacked I knew I'd never be able to live with myself for thinking her safety wasn't worth that amount.  Another way I got my head around it was to acknowledge that If she lived in a dangerous neighborhood and didn't have a gun I wouldn't think twice about buying her a $5-700 gun for protection.  The reality is the Hoodie is filling kind of the same role.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah I came here asking for other suggestions because I balked at the price tag.

But then when I thought what that cost would look like if she were in the hospital after being attacked I knew I'd never be able to live with myself for thinking her safety wasn't worth that amount.  Another way I got my head around it was to acknowledge that If she lived in a dangerous neighborhood and didn't have a gun I wouldn't think twice about buying her a $5-700 gun for protection.  The reality is the Hoodie is filling kind of the same role.
View Quote

Your a good father your logic is sound.  Isn't it weird how your Brain works?  I'd have done the same thing,  complain about the hoodie that she'd wear every day then buy her a $700 gun that sits in her safe 99% of the time.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
If she needs a protective vest, why doesn't her employer provide one?  Secondly, why doesn't have some protection from violent inmates by guards or other personnel?

An unsupervised woman around violent inmates doesn't sound right.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My daughter was thrilled with it. She put it on immediately and wore it the rest of the evening as she hung out and visited her old man.  She looked comfortable in it and at room temperature in my house she never looked like she was getting to warm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Very cool.  I agree that the price is hard to swallow, but I just picked up another handgun for over 1K, and I know where I work, it's a secure environment, this hoodie could at least be used vice the firearm sitting in my truck.

Quoted:
If she needs a protective vest, why doesn't her employer provide one?  Secondly, why doesn't have some protection from violent inmates by guards or other personnel?

An unsupervised woman around violent inmates doesn't sound right.

It happens.  I have a good friend who start as an admin clerk in the prison system just to get into the GS system. She had some interesting stories and some were pretty disconcerting; what shouldn't happen isn't always what really happens.  She's now the admin clerk for a 3-Star GO, but she had to start somewhere.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top