Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2019 6:33:06 PM EDT
My son just pointed out that his front sight canted to right?
I've shot this rifle and wasn't like this.Is this a "thing"?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Just the blade or the whole flash hider?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems so,but wasn't like this when my son bought it..
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just the blade or the whole flash hider?
View Quote
The sight is over pretty far right,where sight sits looks kinda straight.My eyes suck.
NY compliant so no flash hider
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Your question is a bit vague.
Is the front sight blade angled to the right?
OR, is the blade upright but moved to the right of center?
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your question is a bit vague.
Is the front sight blade angled to the right?
OR, is the blade upright but moved to the right of center?
View Quote
Both,I think that is what's making it so obvious.
Looks like my old wasr Ak's
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
OP:
I’m not clear either on what you are talking about:

If the entire front sight ( post, wings, and base) is off set left or right along the dove tail base, that is normal in the zeroing process.

If the front sight post is canted, so crooked inside the protective wings, no the shouldn’t be the case.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP:

If the entire front sight ( post, wings, and base) is off set left or right along the dove tail base, that is normal in the zeroing process.

If the front sight post is canted, so crooked inside the protective wings, no the shouldn’t be the case.
View Quote
It appears the whole post,protective wings and part it sits on is crooked to right.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Barrel might not be torqued in correctly, off timed.

How does the op rod tab fit in the receiver track? Tilted?

Ideally I would pull off the front and rear sights, place a perfectly square block into the receiver’s sight  base pocket and then lay a straight edge across the block.  Put another straight edge across the front site base.

The two straight edges should be perfectly parallel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It appears the whole post,protective wings and part it sits on is crooked to right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP:

Ok then.  
It’s normal, the whole sight was meant to be drifted left/right to zero it.  
That is why the front sight base has the bolt to loosen it and shift it.  (Or as you are saying- it “looks crooked”)
When I shot an M1A competitively, the sight was drifted right, and it shot fine.
To be honest, I think this is “something over nothing.”
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Barrel is grooved to accept the flash hider or brake so if sight is actually crooked, either the groove is incorrectly machined or the barrel is out of time, or the flash hider has a broken spline and has rotated. Like poster above suggested check barrel alignment and op rod guide for centering.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
If the barrel has loosened up in its threads it would be pointing right. Springfield Armory will inspect and correct if you contact them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Gunsmithing a M1 Garand or M14 series rifle is much more complex than a bolt action or AR-15.

I had a Hart barrel installed by a nationally famous gunsmith and it came back torqued past center. The opposite side of yours.

Barrel rotation effects headspace.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok,thanks for info.Only a year old.Son shot maybe 200-300 rds through it.Gonna call Springfield and send it in.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok,thanks for info.Only a year old.Son shot maybe 200-300 rds through it.Gonna call Springfield and send it in.
View Quote
By all means send it in if you wish …….

But again the front sight was designed to be slid left/right in that dovetail for zeroing.  
Doing that (shifting it) doesn't automatically mean the barrel is too loose/tight.  
Unless it is excessive (so hanging off one side or the other) I wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy it and shoot it!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

By all means send it in if you wish …….

But again the front sight was designed to be slid left/right in that dovetail for zeroing.  
Doing that (shifting it) doesn't automatically mean the barrel is too loose/tight.  
Unless it is excessive (so hanging off one side or the other) I wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy it and shoot it!
View Quote
But besides the sight being slid over to right,what it sits on looks like its leaning to right,like a minute past 12 o'clock.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But besides the sight being slid over to right,what it sits on looks like its leaning to right,like a minute past 12 o'clock.
View Quote
Ok.... the front sight has a dovetail which mates up to the base/flash hider.  (If you notice the flash hider/ base for the front sight are one-piece, which is then held in place on the barrel by the castle nut).
That why I asked you previously what you meant by "bent," because there are several pieces at play here.

So if you want to home diagnose this, UNLOAD the rifle, place it in a padded vise securely, take a level and after removing the front sight, place the level in two places.  
There is a flat on the receiver just ahead of the serial number/markings and just behind the rear sight:  place the level there.
With the front sight removed you have a flat area where the sight used to be: carefully place the level there.
Compare the level balance and see if they match up:  if they do, don't worry about it. (Or what that means is there maybe a problem with the front sight itself.  That the "crookedness" you are seeing is the sight blade).

If they don't : it could be two things:  either the barrel is timed off or the flash hider/base is twisted about the barrel.  
So yes, send it off, if it bothers you.

To be honest:  Have you shot this rifle?  Is it accurate?  No ejecting problems?  Any indication the brass shot thru the rifle is showing excessive size?
Without seeing it my self I'm curious that you are making "a mountain out of a mole hill."
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd get it fixed it you don't have enough front sight base to able to make hits with the rear sight centered up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#19]
The front sight base should be parallel with the axis of the windage and elevation knobs.  Which should also be parallel to the flat on the top receiver ring.  You can clamp your receiver in a vise and sit a level on the top of the receiver ring and on the top of the front sight base and they should be the same as the level on the receiver ring.  If not, then the barrel was not installed properly or the splines on end of the barrel are off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ok.... the front sight has a dovetail which mates up to the base/flash hider.  (If you notice the flash hider/ base for the front sight are one-piece, which is then held in place on the barrel by the castle nut).
That why I asked you previously what you meant by "bent," because there are several pieces at play here.

So if you want to home diagnose this, UNLOAD the rifle, place it in a padded vise securely, take a level and after removing the front sight, place the level in two places.  
There is a flat on the receiver just ahead of the serial number/markings and just behind the rear sight:  place the level there.
With the front sight removed you have a flat area where the sight used to be: carefully place the level there.
Compare the level balance and see if they match up:  if they do, don't worry about it. (Or what that means is there maybe a problem with the front sight itself.  That the "crookedness" you are seeing is the sight blade).

If they don't : it could be two things:  either the barrel is timed off or the flash hider/base is twisted about the barrel.  
So yes, send it off, if it bothers you.

To be honest:  Have you shot this rifle?  Is it accurate?  No ejecting problems?  Any indication the brass shot thru the rifle is showing excessive size?
Without seeing it my self I'm curious that you are making "a mountain out of a mole hill."
View Quote
NYS legal rifle, no flash hider,like this one in link.Shot today,plenty accurate.
https://www.fulton-armory.com/fultonarmoryusriflecal762mmm14-1-1-1-1.aspx
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, well you've got several explanations about how-to self diagnose if the barrel and/or flash hider is canted.  
Or you can send it off.

Without seeing it, if it shoots well and no-issues, I'd just shoot the thing.

(BTW.... whatever that horrid thing is that takes the place of the actual flash hider, it doesn't change how to check the cant.  But I can see that thing being poorly made and off center).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top