Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 10:19:26 AM EDT
If you have one, what is the pro and cons of it? Any issues I should be aware of? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Fun toy for the shooter. Perimeter 'blast' is obnoxious.
Hunting with it was a novelty until the first time I squeezed a round without ear pro.
NEVER AGAIN! without a suppressor.Attachment Attached File

That said, I love mine. 'suppressed'. It's the only way I'll shoot it.
I EBRd mine and it's become a favorite 'host'. Did I mention they are no fun without a.....
suppressor?

To be fair, it does NOTHING a better length barrel doesn't do.
It's a novelty but that's the spice of life.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#2]
So for a serious gun this is not it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you are an M1A fan, it's a gun that you will 'drag' out on those days when your sick of AR1,AR2,AR* and want a different day shooting. The 'loaded' is in my opinion the best value for an M1A.

I like the looks of the Scout but again, it's an M1A.

If your considering an AR 'battle rifle' there are many better choices.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I put a mag thru a friends.   Fun, the brake works and sucks.  Double ear pro is a thing with those..we were under cover and it was nasty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Any short barreled .308 is gonna sound like hammer of the gods going off especially with a brake.  I’ve shot many platforms at 16” and under. They peel the bark off adjacent trees.  Try shooting a 14” FAL with a giggle switch...
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned - it's REALLY loud :)

After shooting mine one day (my range is my yard) my wife complained about the noise - wondered why it has to be so loud.  I tried to explain . . . . .

Anyway, it is fun and a lot I like about it.  I got mine in a multi-gun trade and thought I'd immediately flip it but grew to like it.  I love .308, and often think it'd be my "go too" - but my FAL and AR10 don't feel like they'd take my head off.  Honestly can't imagine shooting it without ear pro.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking at trading a colt and 500 rounds of 223. So pass?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
By Colt, I assume you mean a Colt AR-15 as you mention ammo for it, but no details of that rifle, so hard to say for you.

I have the SOCOM, with the conventional looking stock, and not all the rail handguard stuff.  Personally, I don't find the blast too much to shoot - but I wear plugs and muffs all the time, as I shoot a bunch and hearing loss is cumulative.

I've seen that model being sold for 1700 or so - the SOCOM II generally goes for more I think as it has the extra rails.

I really like mine - it's short and handy and light for a .308 mag fed, and the conventional stock makes it less wide than an AR pattern.  Good iron sights, and I put a red dot on the handguard rail.

Wasn't sure if I was going to like it or keep it, but I got a good deal on mine and bought it.  Now it's top 5 of my rifles.

Get it, try it, can always sell it off later for as much or more than you paid.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine was loud and obnoxious. I took the brake off and put a three prong flash hider on it. Much better! About the same noise and blast of my scout. If you reload or use Tap ammo made for short barrels it has minimal flash.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I've wanted to like the Socom II multiple times.  Bought one and a Scout Squad at the same time and shot them both for a little while before I decided the Scout Squad was the one I liked and kept.  Sold the II.

A couple years later I started thinking about the II again and ended up with a good deal on one.  Shot it again and decided "nope" and sold it a short time later.  The Scout Squad is the best of both worlds in my opinion.  Better sights than the II for distance shooting, same gas system (IIRC) as the standard, and balances just great.

EDIT:  Sorry, change those comments to the Socom 16.  Never bought the Socom II with the full rail system, got my models confused.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry just a standard colt 6920
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]
So the question is: what do you want and what are you looking for? Do you have more than one AR? What do you consider the value on your trade? Have you looked at the average selling point on the M1a in the Socom II configuration? And I am sure you realize the mags and ammo for the 7.62 are not as cheap as the AR 5.56 offerings.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Friend bought a Socom II cheap. Hates all the crap hung on it. Put it in a G.I. wood stock and a Springfield gen 4 scope mount. Really likes the brake. A used one sold on Buds for 2k recently.
I have a Socom 16 havent shot it yet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I am just looking for something different. I have had scars and lmt mws. so I figured I might give this a go. I have 6 other ar type rifles. So I will probably just do the trade and sell it down the road if I don’t care for it.
Apparently the socom ll with the rail has been discontinued a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Before the used one recently Buds had brand new ones within the last month for sale.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh they don’t have it on the Springfield armory website anymore
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#17]
The SOCOM II had the VLTOR forward rail system on it and is no longer offered in conjunction with the Springfields. You either love it or hate it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I have just a regular Socom...I love it.

Mine has a yhm flash hider mount.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have just a regular Socom...I love it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9749/20191210_173047-1902544.jpg

Mine has a yhm flash hider mount.
View Quote

Looking at YHM's they say only for over 18 1/2" YHM M-14 flash hider here . Did you use only their standard flash hider or the M-14 one? I can't tell from the picture. I have a YHM Phantom and a 16" SOCOM that would be a lot nicer if it was less loud.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Looking at YHM's they say only for over 18 1/2" YHM M-14 flash hider here . Did you use only their standard flash hider or the M-14 one? I can't tell from the picture. I have a YHM Phantom and a 16" SOCOM that would be a lot nicer if it was less loud.
View Quote

I replaced the front sight tower with the Delta P designs threaded adapter and the YHM flash hider mount for the Resonator suppressor

https://yhm.net/30-cal-phantom-nitro-resonator.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The SOCOM II had the VLTOR forward rail system on it and is no longer offered in conjunction with the Springfields. You either love it or hate it.
View Quote

I had this one, as part of a multi gun trade. I thought it was cool as hell but man was it heavy. and front heavy with that rail. I ended up shooting maybe 3 boxes through it paying 2010 prices for ammo it was still more expensive than 556 by a bit. Sounds like a flash bang going off in front of your face.

sold it not long after. every time I think I want a 308 shorty I realize I will never do anything but hurt myself with it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I like mine.  Got it a few years back when PSA was selling them at smoking hot price.  Maybe I'm the odd ball here but the SOCOM II is better balance than its big brother.  Shooting a 16" 308 is fun and its muzzle brake never bothered me a bit.  Fun toy but can be a serious tool in the case of repelling hords of antifa zombies.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like mine.  Got it a few years back when PSA was selling them at smoking hot price.  Maybe I'm the odd ball here but the SOCOM II is better balance than its big brother.  Shooting a 16" 308 is fun and its muzzle brake never bothered me a bit.  Fun toy but can be a serious tool in the case of repelling hords of antifa zombies.
View Quote

Pretty much any 308 with a brake is loud. I havent shot mine yet but my 16" FAL with a DSA brake back in the day set the car alarms off at the range.
Nothing else there was setting them off.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pretty much any 308 with a brake is loud. I havent shot mine yet but my 16" FAL with a DSA brake back in the day set the car alarms off at the range.
Nothing else there was setting them off.

View Quote

Nothing beats the sound of freedom !  The only possible gripe if any, is the stock of the SOCOM II.  It is okay/functional but I am thinking this gun would be better with GI fiberglass or wood.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Get one...they're quite handy/portable.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get one...they're quite handy/portable.

https://i.imgur.com/njnh8ZK.jpg
View Quote

Love the Sage stock on that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a socom 16 and like it quite well. Sure, it's a bit loud, but it's no more than I expected with a 16" 308 sporting a brake. It's a handy size, and though the sights are not as good as a match, I find I still reliably ring steel at 200. In the past year or so it's been a regular participant in range days.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Same for me.  I bought my SOCOM as PSA was giving them away for 1200 bucks, shipped, and Springfield had a promo for two free mags and a cheapy scope mount which I sold for 50 bucks or so.

Figured I could sell it for not much of a loss if I didn't like it, but I really do.  Mine has the regular stock, and that plus it being plastic helps keep the weight down.  M1A's, like all .308's, are easy to get fat and weigh 11 pounds by the time you get done with fitting them out.

I don't feel it's too blasty - now my 8.5", 6.8mm with a muzzle brake, that was blasty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top