Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2022 1:48:39 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban, Springfield Armory SAR48.  This isn't the 4800; it always had the realistic furniture as opposed to that thumbhole stock.  It is a bush model, with the shorter barrel.  I got it back in 1990.  It is NRA Good, with lots of dings and loss of paint and such, but still perfectly good when you pull the trigger.

Someone was interested in it and told me they'd trade me a new DSA-FN with a folding stock on it.  On one hand, I've always wanted a folding stock.  But I've had this for 30 plus years.  What does the hive think of this trade?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:06:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barrysuperhawk] [#1]
Folding stocks on a FAL style gun are a love it or hate it deal.  Kind of like an Underfolder on an AK, they look super cool, but they suck to shoot, so you end up spending most of your effort trying in vain to make them more comfortable to shoot.  If you REALLY want it, buy it outright..  If you sorta want it, buy a replacement folding lower, and try it out.  IMHO your gun is one I wouldn't part with...
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:11:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Findsman] [#2]
I’d keep it.  Won’t be any more imported FALs ever again.  If you really want a para FAL, you can get on the notification list with DSA for the para lower and bolt.

https://dsarms.com/p-12959-dsa-fal-sa58-para-conversion-kit-includes-stock-internals-lower-trigger-frame-para-carrier-no-nose-para-top-cover-springs-and-para-sight.aspx

Swap it over, keep your other parts if you want to ever go back.  Then you can have both.

ETA - Beaten!  Typing on a phone slowed me down.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope not a good trade.

IMBEL built with Israeli parts. Cooler and more better than a boring American made FAL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in tune with the previous replies. I had a Para for quite some time. It was a really good shooter. The tube buttstock just wasn't for me.  Sold it for way more than I had in it.
Love my 2 traditional stocked   FAL's much more.

Find a para if possible to try out and see if you like it first.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd keep the Springfield.  Older import FAL beats a DSA any day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Those old SAR48's had a very smooth action and were well built. I'd pass on that deal.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Your SAR-48 is, even with cosmetic wear, a much better built FAL than any DSA.

You can always buy a DSA Para lower (these are actually good) to install on your SAR-48
upper and turn it in to a "Para". Use the DSA Para scope mount and you don't have to worry about not having the "Para" nose cut on upper
receiver.

Don't part with that SAR-48 my friend.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Your SAR48 is worth over 3k. Don't do it. Gunplumber, the most well known FAL Smith rates these higher than belgian manufactured FAL'S.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both.  

I wouldn't do that trade.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
No.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scottfn308:
I have both.  

I wouldn't do that trade.
View Quote

same.  I have a folder and love it.  So if you want to go that route, get a DSA folding stock and put it on there.  But the SAR48 is a undervalued golden firearm
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:59:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EMSflyer] [#12]
It really is.

We have two SAR-48s and the fit/finish is just so much better than a DSA or home brew garage build.
Really even better than an FN.

The only thing I've seen come close is one of the ARS builds.
Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems really builds a wonderful FAL.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't do that.  Adjustable stocks are annoying anyway.  Keep it for 30 more years.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#14]
The side folding FAL para stocks are really great.

I actually prefer shooting my para over my fixed stock FALs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep the Springfield and buy a Para to keep it company.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#16]
You can buy a brand new DSA para today if you wanted to. Not as easy to replace the SAR-48. As a compromise, you can buy all the parts to convert your SAR-48 to a para from DSA that doesn't permanently alter the rifle. Get the parts, keep the fixed stock parts in a box (properly marked so you don't loose it) until the time you get tired of it being in para config. That's what I did with my SAR-48.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree with everyone else.  SAR-48 is worth more now, and will hold its value longer, in addition to being a better built weapon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope you didn’t trade. The Brazilian made rifle is superior to the DSA. Even gunplumber and other FAL builders have stated that IMBEL built the best of the FALs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top