Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2020 2:30:31 PM EDT
I'm going to paint a couple PSA Freedom ARs with nitrided barrels, flash hiders, and castle nuts.  The nitride is very "slick" or "gloss" and doesn't seem like rattle can will be very durable on these parts.  I've painted A LOT of ARs over the years, but they always had park'd barrels.

I don't care if the paint wears or scratches, but I don't want to do these projects if the nitrided parts aren't going to "take" the paint well.  Anyone paint any PSA nitrided parts?  How well did the glossy nitrided parts take the paint?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Like painting blued metal or plastic.
Wear points will happen, but haven't had issues with flaking off.

FYI, my painting is rustoleum, not dura/cera.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

I have Krylon, Rustoelum, and Aervoe on hand.  Now to decide on a pattern for each ...
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
As always, prep the surface.  Brakleen the nitride, etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As always, prep the surface.  Brakleen the nitride, etc.
View Quote

Definitely. I typically use acetone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top