Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2020 11:08:00 PM EDT
Went into a shop today to pick up a pistol I had waiting (Zastava M70 .32 ACP) and they had this rifle on the wall.  It is a Spanish Mauser in 7x57 that has been sporterized by shortening the barrel and stock and removing the top handguard.  It also has a bent bolt handle.  It was $100 so I bought it.  I have a Chilean Mauser (antique) and a Ruger #1 in the same caliber.

After bringing it home, I started doing research and this is what I think I know:

--no import marking to be found (unless it is a really old one under the wood, which they can't do any more)
--bent bolt
--shortened stock with cleaning rod channel plugged. It is evenly done and doesn't look horrible.  It is shortened just behind where the barrel band would have been.
--the front sight is probably the original front band that has been set into a step turned into the barrel, making it look almost seamless.
--full rifle rear ladder sight
--no "thumb" relief in the left side wall of the receiver
--non-matching bolt SN
--Oviedo 1925 manufacture
--22-23" barrel with good bore

From the above features, I think I have one of the many Model 1893 rifles that were imported before 1968 and sporterized in this same configuration and sold mail order and by department stores like Wards.

I was thinking it would look nice made up as a full stock "carbine", much like the 1895 models.  Top handguards, barrel bands and fore end caps are easy to come by, but not sure about finding an un-shortened stock to use.

What do you all think of my new rifle and project plan?

Rob
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
A great idea!  Do it!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes- a terrific idea! That would look sharp.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one my dad bought for me from the local coast to Coast store in early 1968.  It has the same chopped stock and chopped barrel.   The bolt has been bent, barely and it almost closes on a field gauge.   I did have the original sights replaced but in retrospect I should of kept the original sights.  I used to be able to buy 50 rounds of 7x57 for $5 in that same Coast to Coast store.   If I knew then what I know now, I'd of bought some the k98's and Swiss 96's they used to carry as well.

I think I paid $28 out the door for mine.  Dad did have to complete a 4473.

kwg
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I have received a stock (not Spanish, but I don't want to give away any details yet), handguard and assorted barrel bands and stuff.  I can now begin planning and laying out my full-stock project.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be interested in where you found a stock once you might be willing to share. I have a Spaish Mauser that is very nearly a twin to yours.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Spanish Mauser that looked almost exactly like that except the one I had was converted to 7.62x51.  I never shot it much.  I loaded slightly reduced loads for it because I'd been told those 7.62x51 conversions weren't very strong and that shooting full power .308 loads wasn't a good idea.  I would shoot commercial .308 in my Springfield M1A and then reload it with a starting load of IMR 4895 or Hodgdon BL-C(2).  I had been planning to drill and tap it for a scope but I never got around to it and eventually sold it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top