Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2021 10:56:12 PM EDT
The one of the main differentials between plates is whether they're multi-curve or single-curve.   What about the manufacturing process makes multi-curve plates so much more expensive to produce than single-curve plates?  Do they get more rejects from curving a plate multiple times during the manufacturing process, or something else?  I guess I'm just not really clear on how a plate is manufactured.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Ceramic plates are manufactured by pressing or sintering ceramic powder into a mold. The complex geometry of a multi-curve plate makes achieving the appropriate material properties during the pressing process much more difficult, resulting in lower yield rates, i.e. more rejects per batch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You are making the assumption that manufacturing cost are relevant to selling price. Don’t do that.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how plates are made, but I am very familiar with manufacturing costs. There can be many potential “reasons” but’s they don’t necessarily correlate to a selling price difference. I have seen many products that cost less to manufacture, yet they sell at a drastically increased price.  Value based pricing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:09:58 AM EDT
[#3]
The mold might cost more to produce

The geometry might cause a higher reject rate

Might be more labor involved

Might just be that they like money, who ever gives away their best stuff for free?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
For ceramic with PE backing both pieces must be made with the same exact curve so they mate together precisely, which is harder with multicurve compared to single curve compared to flat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The mold might cost more to produce
View Quote

Agree.
Molds in general are extremely expensive.. at least in the polymer injection industry.
I guess the same applies to the armor mfg process.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t work around armor but I do work in the Polyethylene injection and thermoforming industry.  Our cheaper steel molds start in the $150-200k price range before add ons.  Very complicated machining involved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top