Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/28/2023 8:55:05 AM EDT
As I sit here and admire my handiwork on a couple of pair of Danner RAT's, it occurred to me why lots of you guys turn your nose up at these over-built, bomb-proof (and yes, heavy) boots.  In your defense, even the Marine Corps shit-can them for whatever reason (ten year shelf life policy?).  But there's a very good reason boots used to be built this way, and why many don't appreciate them.  This is strictly one man's opinion, but I think it has merit, so I wanted to share that with you this morning.  FWIW.

In the past few years, we've seen this trend of footwear getting lighter, and lighter, not just in every-day life, but tactical wear as well.  And of course, J-SOC is leading the way once again.  All these Ninjas are sporting light-weight sneaker cousin boots, more often than not, even though I know they have real boots in the inventory as well.  Back in the late 80's, a local mountaineering shop in San Diego used to carry Danner Acadias for the Teams.  Newly minted Seals were issued a chit for 2 pair.  They are in the system now of course, across all services.  But so are many other types of boots.  Why is this?  

I think I might know a part of that answer.  Around the early 90's timeframe, we saw a shift from Vietnam era boots, both regular issue and jungle, to a more substantial model, based on the Acadia design (spec ops influence?).  They were much sturdier than previous issue boots and usually gtx-lined.  Lots of vendors got in the game, including Belleville, and Matterhorn.  These were probably some of the best issue boots ever fielded.  But what I think happened is the vast majority of people wearing them weren't doing anything remotely connected to actually needing that level of boot.  So the pendulum swung the other way towards lighter weight boot.  Boot/sew shops at Bragg actually did mods to put supper soft insoles and outsoles on issue boots for making "road march" boots.  The vast majority of people's time was spent on asphalt, not dirt, so they wanted a softer ride.  

Then came the G-WOT.  Now we have factory-made "road march" boots.  And a shit-load of different vendors.  Everyone got in the game.  You also saw some new "mountain boots" pop up, but they were never very widespread.  But the average issue boot these days is more akin to a "light hiker" than a heavy-duty boot.  

The same thing has happened in the civvy world.  The all leather, tough as nails mountaineering boot has been replaced by the ultra light weight hiking boot.  And I get it, there are good reasons for this.  Namely light weight and comfort.  But there are down-sides as well, which I will now go into.

I think the most important reason why people don't wear heavy-duty boots any more is because they don't have to.  Most folks don't go anywhere that actually require them, and those that do, get issued new ones all the time, so there is no need for them to last.  And that I think is the key.  We have fallen into this habit of buying very comfortable, but disposable footwear.  And this is all well and good now.  But comes the day when it isn't, there will be some serious problems.  

I'm not hear to preach doom and gloom, only to say you need to take a good look around you and decide if being more self-sufficient might be a good idea.  If so, then consider having footwear that will work in difficult terrain, and not fall apart after a year or two.  I have had Acadias that literally lasted ten+ years, with multiple re-soles.  This might be something worthwhile to have in the coming days.  A good pair of boots could literally be the difference between life and death.  

If you think this might be prudent, then consider the RAT.  These are the grandson to the original black Acadias, with many improvements, but some drawbacks, including the weight.  But overall, they are an excellent choice for possible hard times.  They come in three basic flavors: Hot Weather, Temperate, and Cold Weather.  The Hot Weather are non-gtx, with water drains.  The Temperate are gtx-lined (and no drains of course).  The Cold Weather have an improved outsole for snow and ice.  

I do a little mod to them that makes them a better boot, for my use at least.  I'll include that here becasue there may be some of you that find this useful as well.  I remove the speed lace loops and replace them with regular grommets.  The reason being, with the speed lace loops, the uppers practically wrap around my lower legs and meet in the middle.  By removing them and using grommets, the lace pattern moves back to a more normal position.  More of what I'm used to, from decades of wearing Acadias.  If someone wants to do this, I will post more detailed instructions on how-to, but basically you remove the loops, and replace with 1/4" grommets (no. 8-6, I believe).  I use the Knife or Holster-making grommets, which are a bit sturdier than other commercial offerings.  I Dura Coat them a FDE color to match the existing hardware.  You will also need a 1/4" grommet die set, and a 1/4" punch to enlarge the speed loop holes to take the grommets.  

And the best part is the price.  I have bought them for as low as 59 bucks a pair.  They are still usually under 100 bucks, which is still a steal.  You can't buy good running shoes for that price.  Current issue Marine Corps Danners are 400 bucks.  Unless you sign up, then you get 2 pair free.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Agreed. Although I need a pair of 11.5 reg hot weather boots.

I wear the GTX ones fall-spring. My current pair is getting retired soon. Some holes forming around seems on the outside and a year in the liner. Their fine for chores now. I got 2 spares for after summer. I wear a pair of Danner Jack 3s during the summer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing that. I wear boots pretty much every day around the farm. Two years ago I bought a pair of Merrell MOAB side zip boots. They were comfortable, but in three months time the stitching was disintegrating and chunks were coming off the sole. I replaced them with a pair of Reebok side zips that are holding up better but I agree with the thinking that it is a good idea to have some durable boots on hand.

I just looked on Amazon and the RATS were $80. A steal for goretex boots.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing that. I wear boots pretty much every day around the farm. Two years ago I bought a pair of Merrell MOAB side zip boots. They were comfortable, but in three months time the stitching was disintegrating and chunks were coming off the sole.
View Quote

I had Merrell Sawtooth's in Iraq, and same - started coming apart. They warrantied them, but the replacement set did the same thing. The Glue around the toe area would de-laminate. My "holy crap I can't believe these boots are this tough", goes to a 'I sh*t you not' pair of CQR (Chinese Company) Tactical Boots on Amazon - I own 10 Acres and wear them for all outdoor tasks. Replaced the laces once, but they are in perfect shape minus sole wear, since 2019. YMMV, QC or Materials may have changed, but I'm impressed.

My AD Time was 100% Jungle Boots, so I tend to go the lightweight route, but I do have a pair of Gore-Tex Salomon's for Fall-Spring. Speed Assault or Jungle for warm weather.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
When I got deployed in 2003, we got the Altama desert “jungle boots”. They were the most comfortable boots I ever more. So much so that when I demobilized, I kept a pair to use at home for the range, hiking, camping, yard work, etc. Obviously, not the same workload for a yearlong deployment, but those things lasted 15 years before I had to throw them out. I picked up a new pair of the Altama PX jungle boots which are a close cousin to my issue ones. I’m sure they will outlast me at this point. My biggest issue with shoes is that I wear 4E width. Merrell doesn’t even make that, so that’s one reason I’ve never had to go that route. The only civilian hiking boots that I get that fit me are made by Propet. They are heavy, but so comfortable that the weight doesn’t bother me at all. This is definitely a thing that comes to personal preference. Sometimes looking like a cool kid isn’t the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thing about "rebuildable boots"- who even does that anymore?

Basically can get pacific coast logger's or lineman's boots. That's it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thing about "rebuildable boots"- who even does that anymore?

Basically can get pacific coast logger's or lineman's boots. That's it.
View Quote

I have a pair of Bates desert storm "Army" boots. They are extremely comfortable, but with very little use the glue on the soles let loose. I shoe-glued them in an attempt to get more miles out of them.

I could find no one to repair them for under $175 with no warranty.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I couldn't quite say which ticks me off more; cheap chinese crap everywhere, things made of plastic BS, cheap clothes that fall apart, crappy-assed footwear that's made of cardboard.

Everything's throwaway these days. Being a big, heavy type, I need proper footwear. I do better mostly with boots for the ankle support, but on flat ground I can make do with good shoes. New Balance. Been using them for about forty years. I also have a preference for Merrill, Danner boots. Costs but the quality is worth it. I've been partial to certain models of Magnum brand boots when I was working some jobs because that work didn't require the heavy boots. Why walk when you can ride, LOL.

Yes. People who don't ruck or walk around in nasty terrain don't require those heavier boots. I also favor cowboy boots. Yeah. I've got a few pairs that have more mileage on'em than many cars, LOL. Got the resole receipts too.

That was a pretty good writeup there, OP.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish the Danner R851 was still available.
I absolutely love those boots.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice Write-up, Diz.

Just took a look and there >>seem<< to be some cobblers left in my area, always good to know.

Always a thought as to how feet seem to swell in hot, humid environments.  I found it was more comfortable to buy shoes/boots one size larger in length than the "nominal", professionally measured length.

Good socks are also a must.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I loved my normal Danner USMC boots I had, other than the plastic heel counter would eat at my tendon sometimes. The RAT boot was issued for deployment, if you were lucky and they had your size, they always ran out by the time my company got to go. When it became standard issue at boot camp around 2013/14 they started having massive QC issues. We would have students show up to SOI with RAT boots missing all the eyelets for laces, heels completely worn out in 13 weeks at Parris Island, but they used to hold up to back to back deployments. Eventually it cause the USMC to delay their plan of making them standard issue across the fleet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Good points.
I May be behind the curve, but for my experience hiking shoes just won't do It for some jobs (and not because command used to say "jumping allowed only with issued footwear"). I learned the ropes wearing full leather Boots, do i still consider them the greatest thing around? No, but i am quite accustomed to their limitations and advantages, to the point that in Extreme cold i was more confident in them than in goretex lined ones (which i own and "temperate weather" ones are good for our mild mediterranea Winter season)
Don't get me wrong, i own low hiking shoes that i use most of the time and Will do wonders. Italy has a city famous for having lot of factories of High quality Mountain footwear, Easy to find good non military Boots of all kinds. City Is Treviso, home of Asolo, Scarpa, Aku, Garmont, Lowa, Crispi and a dozen more.
More than a decade ago a Merrell outlet opened near me, bought two pair of mids, chameleon GTX and Moab ventilator for 30$ each. Worked (never in harsh environmens), but didn't last long before glie failed. I liked the ventilator for Summer, but mesh ripped quickly. My oldest jungle Boots are still intact well After 20 years of use, soles are getting thin and toe leather Is cracking After i stopped spit Shining, but they still maintain their structural integrity. However i Just bought two extra pairs of wellco ones from Dutch surplus, new in box costed 18$ each, delivered. Just used a pair working as part of the relief effort in flooded Emilia Romagna. Worked perfectly and they gave me extra sole and toe protection that made me feel confident when walking in water without the possibility of seeing what Is underneath. No hiking shoes could give that kind of protection.
I am not too fond of resoling however, as It Is costly and I am at a point when i can find cheap new or Just broken in surplus Boots that have a sole that Will Outlast me and my needs. And as i have both i honestly like Bates durashocks more than Danner Rats. Oh and i HATE HATE HATE the Belleville Mountain Combat Hiker MC 950 US issued at some point. They tried to make a military suitable hiking style low boot and failed miserably.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Where can I find a pair of the temperates in a 10?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]
This is interesting to me because I have known nothing but disposable boots like Salomon's since I was a teenager.

How many miles can you get out of a pair before you need to resole? Do you run two pairs and rotate them?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw this video recently. Former SF guy talking about gear; says he used low-top hiking shoes while deployed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w5OWp96NTk&t=318s
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Well as you can see, this topic has many opinions, and based on individual experience, some things do vary.  My point being that at some point in the future, we may facing a situation where disposable boots are not so readily available, and you might have to make do with what you have for an extended period of time.  If that is the case, then having a durable pair of boots (or 2) could be critical.  I grew up listening to my grandfather describing the last great depression, and how they had to "make do" when many things were not available, including shoes/boots.  I also remember talking to veterans from the Eastern Front, when we lived in Germany.  In many instances, having a good pair of boots was literally the difference between life and death.  Yes these are extreme circumstances, but just saying.  

There are good reasons many folks don't have or wear heavy duty boots anymore; I mean I get that.  What I am saying is if things change, then what might be a better choice.  And of course this depends entirely on your "estimate of the situation".   I see storm clouds on the horizon.  Many still do not.

Right now, there is a huge surplus of footwear, very cheap and available.  And some of it actually works well.  It also seems the entire planet is wearing running shoes these days.  So the trend has definitely gone to light weight, disposable footwear.  But having heard the stories from the '30's and '40's, I have never been able to be that casual.  I have always wanted to have some kind of boots on, "just in case".   And yes, I know that might sound a little goofy to some, depending on where your "head space" is set.  

I have also been a fan of Italian made boots.  Asolo, La Sportiva, AKU, etc.  The slightly narrower last really fits my foot.  Their traditional, stitched-down, re-solable hiking boots are the gold standard.  So yes, there are still some good civilian boots as well.  If you can afford them, they make a good choice.

And of course, boots are a very individual choice.  People's feet are so different.  You may have found a good fit and should stick with it.  Added bonus if they are actually durable as well.  So I try not to be too dogmatic about these things.  But, I think it's prudent to stock up on good, sturdy footwear, whatever it is that's works best for you.  

RATs are available all over.  Try Coleman's Surplus, or Army Navy Outdoors.  I think they both still have 10 R.  They may not be perfect, but they are giving them away.   I can't resist Danners that cheap!

On re-solable footwear.  Yes, that is a rapidly dwindling category these days, not to mention still finding a good cobbler.  Your best bet is to get to the nearest military base town, where some folks still re-sole boots.  

What is still re-solable.  Well, usually a "stitched down", vs a glued down sole.  Look for ads they say something like "re-solable", or "re-craftable".  These boots will usually have some sort of stitching down around the sole, vs an over-molded rubber rand.  Some glued-on boots are also re-solable.  Ask a cobbler to make sure.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Very random thoughts:

-Check youtube channel Rose Anvil. he cuts open a wide variety of footwear including military boots, showing how they are made and highlighting pros and cons in a very friendly way, easily understandable for common people like me. Worth a look link

-When i was young there was a cartoon called "The swiss family robinson", about a castaway family stranded on an island due to a shipwreck. One episode they gathered rubber from rubber trees making footwear. If the idea is to get resolable boots because in a end of the world scenario i may repair them on my own i am confident it is something i won't be able to do. Anyway props to whoever took this in consideration.

-Did i say i am not a fan of resoling? I would spend 50 to 80$ for resoling only in very expensive boots (IF the rest of the boots is still good)

- I have a pair of adidas GSG9 to resole (intersole rubber get sticky and selfdestroys). I wore them the day my first daughter was born.

-We need PICS!
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Like I said earlier all I have ever known are disposable boots, below are my current boots I offer up for comparison.

I hike allot, not the most grueling activity nor the most technical terrain features but more than most boots experience.

These Salomon X ultra 4's are about 8 months old, north of 500 miles on them. I usually only get 6-10 months out of a pair at $140 and I replace the insoles at least twice in that time so that's another $80.

No major tears but lots of small ones in all the usual places, the laces and eyelets are starting to come apart though. I tried to capture the worst tears and the tread below, the boots are actually significantly worse off than the pictures show and have more small tears not pictured. I have another identical pair in the box waiting for these to bite the dust though and a pair of quest 4s for when I need more ankle coverage or carry a heavy load.

The cost of disposable boots adds up really quickly.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well as you can see, this topic has many opinions, and based on individual experience, some things do vary.  My point being that at some point in the future, we may facing a situation where disposable boots are not so readily available, and you might have to make do with what you have for an extended period of time.  If that is the case, then having a durable pair of boots (or 2) could be critical.  I grew up listening to my grandfather describing the last great depression, and how they had to "make do" when many things were not available, including shoes/boots.  I also remember talking to veterans from the Eastern Front, when we lived in Germany.  In many instances, having a good pair of boots was literally the difference between life and death.  Yes these are extreme circumstances, but just saying.  

There are good reasons many folks don't have or wear heavy duty boots anymore; I mean I get that.  What I am saying is if things change, then what might be a better choice.  And of course this depends entirely on your "estimate of the situation".   I see storm clouds on the horizon.  Many still do not.

Right now, there is a huge surplus of footwear, very cheap and available.  And some of it actually works well.  It also seems the entire planet is wearing running shoes these days.  So the trend has definitely gone to light weight, disposable footwear.  But having heard the stories from the '30's and '40's, I have never been able to be that casual.  I have always wanted to have some kind of boots on, "just in case".   And yes, I know that might sound a little goofy to some, depending on where your "head space" is set.  

I have also been a fan of Italian made boots.  Asolo, La Sportiva, AKU, etc.  The slightly narrower last really fits my foot.  Their traditional, stitched-down, re-solable hiking boots are the gold standard.  So yes, there are still some good civilian boots as well.  If you can afford them, they make a good choice.

And of course, boots are a very individual choice.  People's feet are so different.  You may have found a good fit and should stick with it.  Added bonus if they are actually durable as well.  So I try not to be too dogmatic about these things.  But, I think it's prudent to stock up on good, sturdy footwear, whatever it is that's works best for you.  

RATs are available all over.  Try Coleman's Surplus, or Army Navy Outdoors.  I think they both still have 10 R.  They may not be perfect, but they are giving them away.   I can't resist Danners that cheap!

On re-solable footwear.  Yes, that is a rapidly dwindling category these days, not to mention still finding a good cobbler.  Your best bet is to get to the nearest military base town, where some folks still re-sole boots.  

What is still re-solable.  Well, usually a "stitched down", vs a glued down sole.  Look for ads they say something like "re-solable", or "re-craftable".  These boots will usually have some sort of stitching down around the sole, vs an over-molded rubber rand.  Some glued-on boots are also re-solable.  Ask a cobbler to make sure.
View Quote

Also as I understand it, just because they are surplus doesn’t mean they are Danners. Aren't there other makers that were not as renowned mixed in?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a pair of the Danner RATs and you describe them perfectly. I think I paid like $75 for them on a closeout. They are overbuilt, heavy, but very comfortable. I also had the Acadias in the late 90's and they lasted almost 20 years. I have some of the newer Solomans and they are super comfortable but no way they will last like the RATs.

ETA: To me there is something about a well-built pair of boots. While I'll go cheap on whatever casual shoe I wear around town(usually Vans in my case), I spend money on boots. Have several pair of Nicks, Red Wing Iron Rangers, etc., and to me they are worth it. Something about American craftsman/cobblers making a real pair of boots. They are also all rebuildable. With that said, $500 on up for some pairs of boots are not cheap. I'll go through a few pair of $200 Solomans before I even send my Iron Rangers in for their first resole.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Very random thoughts:

-Check youtube channel Rose Anvil. he cuts open a wide variety of footwear including military boots, showing how they are made and highlighting pros and cons in a very friendly way, easily understandable for common people like me. Worth a look link

-When i was young there was a cartoon called "The swiss family robinson", about a castaway family stranded on an island due to a shipwreck. One episode they gathered rubber from rubber trees making footwear. If the idea is to get resolable boots because in a end of the world scenario i may repair them on my own i am confident it is something i won't be able to do. Anyway props to whoever took this in consideration.

-Did i say i am not a fan of resoling? I would spend 50 to 80$ for resoling only in very expensive boots (IF the rest of the boots is still good)

- I have a pair of adidas GSG9 to resole (intersole rubber get sticky and selfdestroys). I wore them the day my first daughter was born.

-We need PICS!
View Quote
Damn good link!  Was thinking about posting it till you did.  His reviews of "new" boots are also worth watching, at least from a construction aspect.  What boot fits your individual foot best makes a huge difference.

After watching a certain number of his vids, one is better educated in what to look for in a pair of boots, and what to avoid.

Another point is if your super well-made $$$ boots (or any boots, for that matter) need servicing/repair, do you need to send them back to the Mfr, or is it possible to have them "locally" repaired by a competent cobbler?  Not all cobblers are "highly skilled", nor are there many cobblers around.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I've always thought those looked like nice boots but for some reason, as a former Army grunt, wearing boots with EGA's on them seems weird to me

The thought of wearing an unearned military emblem just doesn't sit right.

I need a Marine to bless off on it in case I ever run into any my size
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Best boots I had while in the Army were Herman Survivors I bought in Gelnhausen. The second best were the issue ones from the mid 80’s and the worst were the issue ones from the early 80’s. I wore green jungle boots for the summer months in Alaska
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've always thought those looked like nice boots but for some reason, as a former Army grunt, wearing boots with EGA's on them seems weird to me

View Quote

Have at them brother
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Have at them brother
View Quote

Thanks lol  ??
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a similar situation,  I bought a pair as potential r851 replacements  not realizing they had the emblem on them until they arrived.
They are some damn well built boots.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m a fan of my danner rats. They are heavy. I wear Altra Olympus for work every day.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#27]
That's pretty funny stuff.  Yeah putting the EGA on the heel always made me scratch my head and wonder why.  Maybe when you put your boot up the enemy's ass, he will go Ooh Rah!

I don't think that's really a stolen valor issue; you could even back-fill it with some epoxy resin, just to show you're not claiming it.  Besides, inside every soldier is a Marine trying to break out.

Some of the RAT's were made by Wellco, for example, which is neither here nor there, but the Danners are usually called out as such if you prefer them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I do have a pair of Bates that are still serviceable but the insoles are shot. Are there any magic insoles that feel like walking on cloud nine?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get the impulse and definitely respect it, but look at it this way: you paid for them once (tax dollars) and you're paying for them again (surplus market).  Get some if you find a good deal and wear em out.

The USMC puts EGAs on everything anyway.  Obviously you're not out there with a white dress cover sporting a big ole golden EGA.  And besides, some of my issued steel toes had the EGA worn off after a couple years.  No harm no foul.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I swear I had the best damn jungle boots in the early 1990's. I can't remember the brand though, but wow were they awesome. Things were comfortable, light weight, and dried insanely fast.  I'm not really that impressed with the new wiz bang boots, but maybe it's just that I'm older now and my feet aren't as tough as they used to be?

Now, is definitely the time of year to break in boots.  Get them soaking wet and walk around in them. Gritty Soldier over YT has some good videos for how to break in boots.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Besides, inside every soldier is a Marine trying to break out.
View Quote

My favorite issued pair of boots were from the MBS (modular boot system) testing we did at Ft. Drum.

The "system" part consisted of a goretex liner insert and outer cold weather overboot.  That stuff was pretty lame but the base boots were great.  Most comfortable issued boots I ever had.  Still use them occasionally to this day and I got them in 08 if I recall.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Are the RATs narrow like the Acadias?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#34]
For context all of my outdoor shenanigans are entirely elective and I can at anytime say no thanks and go home and my choice of footwear reflects that, so I ask this next question from a position of both curiosity and complete ignorance.

Is the mil boots vs civilian hikers similar to the civilian packs vs mil packs comparison where you are trading increased weight for better abrasion resistance, less likely to melt and stick to you, wont glow under nods, etc. or is it something else entirely that you guys are prioritizing for?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Do RATs fit true to size? I was just looking at these a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:51:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

IME, mil spec boots are not sized the same as civilian boots.  I wear a 13W, but a 13W in mil spec boots is way too big.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:06:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had Merrell Sawtooth's in Iraq, and same - started coming apart. They warrantied them, but the replacement set did the same thing. The Glue around the toe area would de-laminate. My "holy crap I can't believe these boots are this tough", goes to a 'I sh*t you not' pair of CQR (Chinese Company) Tactical Boots on Amazon - I own 10 Acres and wear them for all outdoor tasks. Replaced the laces once, but they are in perfect shape minus sole wear, since 2019. YMMV, QC or Materials may have changed, but I'm impressed.

My AD Time was 100% Jungle Boots, so I tend to go the lightweight route, but I do have a pair of Gore-Tex Salomon's for Fall-Spring. Speed Assault or Jungle for warm weather.
View Quote
Ditto! In fact, I stumbled onto the pair I wore in the 90s before we switched from black to the tan suede type. They even still fit! Made life in Okinawa MUCH better!

Cool thread Diz! You are hands down a grand collector of gear - what was it we called those folks again?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Gear Queers!  ha ha.  Or stitch bitch in my case.

On RATs.  Compared to Acadias, they are actually sized a little fuller, meaning they don't hug your foot like a good Italian boot, or even the original Acadias.  My foot is slightly narrow therefore I have to build up the sock layers in typical GI boots.

GI vs civvie?  Yeah sorta similar to packs.  Going bomb-proof to work for the most folks, possibly over-kill at some things.  Trading some comfort for durability.  Keeping in mind the grunt may be walking through stuff totally different from the civilian.

My point with the RATs is, you can get a very durable boot for under a hundred bucks.  They may or may not work for you.

Circling back to Rose Anvil.  That is a goldmine of info on boots.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

IME, mil spec boots are not sized the same as civilian boots.  I wear a 13W, but a 13W in mil spec boots is way too big.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I know is that I have had my feet measured by professionals, using professional measuring device.  Have done the same myself, using same device.

"Officially", my feet are 11-1/2" long, and of Med width.

I have never found any shoe/boot in that size to be comfortable, especially in the toe area.  Most often I need to go up to 12-1/2" or 13" length, although the width seems less "sensitive".

If such boots were worn in a hot/wet jungle environment, where feet typically tend to "swell", then perhaps the width might matter, and need to be increased.

That's my purely anecdotal and individual situation.  Your feet are quite likely to vary.

The "Last" is a variable-size shoe/boot construction device used to construct footwear.  Each Mfr has a different "Last" depending on their conception of the foot, and their conception of ideal shoe/boot fit.  As an aside, most GI shoes/boots are built using a specific and standardized "Last" provided by the Mil.  This "Last" may have changed over the decades, but IDK.

This partially explains why shoes/boots from Mfr "A" often fit "differently" than identically sized items from Mfr "B".

There are "tricks" that can overcome a slightly too-long/too-wide boot/shoe, but very little can be done to compensate for a too-short/too-narrow shoe/boot.  Some Expert Cobblers can use internal expanding devices in some cases to correct some minor fitment issues, but in most cases, it is far better to buy a properly fitting shoe/boot in the first place and forego the expense of having one's footgear custom modified.

Just my personal experiences, and I am no Expert.

And yes, Rose Anvil YouTube channel is a "Gold Mine" of info about shoe/boot construction.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Excellent thread.
I've had similar thoughts for a long time but I'm a terrible writer.

I think we have become somewhat spoiled in our footwear choices,most of us don't grow up in a rural lifestyle where sturdy footwear is mandatory.
We are used to comfortable sneakers and running shoes and when we put on a sturdy work boot that needs broken in we think they are uncomfortable.
I once had to spend a week in a very rocky mountainous environment where no one would care what foot wear I had on.
I wore a good pair of running shoes and by the end of the week my ankles were so bruised and battered I could hardly walk,no way I could have made it another week.
A good pair of well broken in leather boots feels better than moccasins after a while.to me anyway and has better ankle protection.
I also think that insulation and Gore tex is overused ,sure it's needed sometimes but not in your everyday boot.
It's gotta be very cold and wet before I pull out the foot smothering
.thinsulate and gore tex stuff.

I also accept that climate dictates your choices, mud snow rocks pavement sand as well as the temperature
Instant comfort and lightweight doesn't automatically  mean great boot.
It's good to have choices.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I was an infantry Marine and when we got our pre deployment issue of frog gear and rat boots and 17 pairs of cold weather gloves, they ran out of my size and I got a pair 2 sizes too big.  I wear an 8, but still. Never wore them once, wore a pair of GTX bates pretty much the whole time. Your grommet mod is interesting, even for guys who got their right size I always thought it looked like they didn’t get tight enough on the shin/upper section of the laces, which would have driven me crazy. Not everyone’s ankle and lower shin is a 6” diameter.

After I got out I went the lightweight and disposable route too, wore a pair of Nike SFBs for hiking which I kind of now regret since they offer basically no ankle support. Have a pair of AKUs now that I really like, they feel sturdy and supportive but I haven’t had them long enough to comment on longevity. They offer a pretty substantial veterans discount online for anyone considering them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#43]
There are sites out there on both the Web and YouTube devoted to "lacing" one's shoes and boots.  Some of them are purely cosmetic, with multi-colored laces and lacing styles.  Some "lacing" sites have direct (and proven) military/tactical applications.

Suggest worth looking at.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Just a suggestion, but a lot of us have boots/shoes which might be contaminated with surface fungus or internal (athlete's foot) fungus.

I have a small Ozone generator bought on Amazon long ago during Covid pandemic.  

Exposure to Ozone gas kills just about every-and-anything to which it is exposed, including fungus spores inside boots.

As I have athlete's foot, and am treating it, I don't want my boots/shoes to re-infect my feet.  Time to break the infection chain.

I'll need to make a separate thread about this.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Also as I understand it, just because they are surplus doesn’t mean they are Danners. Aren't there other makers that were not as renowned mixed in?
View Quote

They aren't all danners. I ordered multiple pairs and one pair was from wellco that diz mentioned above. The wellcos I got were complete shit that I gave away for free and felt bad doing it. Don't know if they're all like that but in my example the quality was no where near the danners. I would recommend only getting from a source that clearly states they are Danners. As far as the danners I love them but people that haven't worn stitch downs for work or in the .mil might find them clunky. Mine are the gortex version and they're very durable and water resistance is excellent.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#46]
HA ha yeah there is the "Clunk Factor" for lack of better term, for those not used to heavy duty boots.  

I gotta admit, I've been in love with Danners for a long time.  Rose Anvil sorta burst my bubble a little bit, but shit does change, and they are not the same company they were back in the mid-80's.  I believe they have been bought out since then, and have made the Acadias (and everything else) with one less grommet toward the toe cap.  I like the old style better, which resembled a mountaineering boot, with lace to the toes.  But the boots he really likes are 500+.  And probably worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Footwear wear out FAR quicker when you are using them EVERY day.  

Look at people who thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.  2,200 miles in 3-5 months.  Most hikers go through 5 or 6 pair of boots during the trip.  Even the heavier duty boots needed to be replaced - buddy of mine did the trail in a pair of oldschool style Danners.  Had to replace them halfway through the trip and trash the 2nd pair at the end of the trip.

And people have NO idea how quickly socks wear out.  Most hikers go through 8-15 pair of socks, depending on the kind of socks.  The nicer socks like Darn Tough socks tend to last longer - maybe twice as long.  The same guy who did the Danner boots went through 7 pair of Darn Tough heavyweight socks, plus an 8th that was still wearable at the end of the trip.

'But I'm never going to hike 2,200 miles!'

Sure.  But if things get tough, people tend to have to spend more time on their feet.  And things get more expensive and hard to replace.  Diz is absolutely right about footwear during the depression and WW2.  My grandmother grew up during that time - they only wore shoes on the farm she had been sent to so she could eat during the winter and on Sunday's to church.  The worst time for footwear wasn't even during the depression - it was during WW2.  Most people didn't get a chance to replace their boots even once during the entire war.  4 years.  Including people who worked all day on their farms.  You can read stories of them trying to resole their shoes using worn out tires and such.  (that won't work these days btw, most tires have metal mesh in them)

I know people who literally own 2 pair of shoes - one dressy and one casual.  And only replace them when they fall apart.  And both pair are crappy shoes he has to replace every 6 months.  What is going to happen if we have a REAL economic downturn or the dollar crashes?  No one here in the USA makes shoes anymore (well, a few small companies do), and the USD will be absolutely worthless so no one will be shipping shoes to the USA.  

$100 for a pair of Danner boots and a few dozen socks - that you will wear eventually anyways - is worth it.  Heck, go to TJ Max or Marshalls and look for the bulk packs of cheaper synthetic  blend (no cotton!) socks and pick up 8 pair of socks for $5 or something like that.  Get a few packs of those and a few pair of nice socks - I've even seen Darn Tough and Smartwool and such socks there at those stores sometimes.  Those cheap socks won't last near as long or be as comfortable, but they do ok for the job for the money.  

tl;dr - your footwear will be the first thing to wear out in the apocalypse.  Or a serious economic downturn.  Don't be a dumbdumb.  Stock a couple pair of really durable boots aside along with a few dozen pair of socks while you can.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#48]
FYI Danner usually has a huge sale around Father’s Day.  Get on their mailing list.
Year before last, I bought two fairly expensive pair for less than the cost of one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#49]
If you look for the “bargain” prices on the USMC boots, it’s always exclusively 6.5 and 13W, etc. no size 11 regular is ever in stock.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
All I know is that I have had my feet measured by professionals, using professional measuring device.  Have done the same myself, using same device.

I have never found any shoe/boot in that size to be comfortable, especially in the toe area.  Most often I need to go up to 12-1/2" or 13" length, although the width seems less "sensitive".

If such boots were worn in a hot/wet jungle environment, where feet typically tend to "swell", then perhaps the width might matter, and need to be increased.

That's my purely anecdotal and individual situation.  Your feet are quite likely to vary.

The "Last" is a variable-size shoe/boot construction device used to construct footwear.  Each Mfr has a different "Last" depending on their conception of the foot, and their conception of ideal shoe/boot fit.  As an aside, most GI shoes/boots are built using a specific and standardized "Last" provided by the Mil.  This "Last" may have changed over the decades, but IDK.

This partially explains why shoes/boots from Mfr "A" often fit "differently" than identically sized items from Mfr "B".

There are "tricks" that can overcome a slightly too-long/too-wide boot/shoe, but very little can be done to compensate for a too-short/too-narrow shoe/boot.  Some Expert Cobblers can use internal expanding devices in some cases to correct some minor fitment issues, but in most cases, it is far better to buy a properly fitting shoe/boot in the first place and forego the expense of having one's footgear custom modified.

And yes, Rose Anvil YouTube channel is a "Gold Mine" of info about shoe/boot construction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The professional measuring device is flawed in that it measures width at the beginning of the toes instead of at the end of the toe. Most lasts have their widest point at that same point, and then have varying levels of taper towards the toe of the boot, which leads to your toes getting squished together.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top