Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/11/2018 1:58:31 AM
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 5/12/2018 11:46:12 PM EST
Didn’t want to bury these in my old thread. Did some experimenting. Figured out how to fine tune the focus, used the IR illuminator, and got a new phone that takes better photos that more clearly represent what my eye sees through the unit. I’m really impressed with what this Gen 1+ can do!

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:32:45 AM EST
My experience is limited to Gen3+ so I have to ask, how well does Gen1+ work for star gazing?

I ask because I'd hate to spend the money on say, a PVS14 with Gen3+ for my significant other. I'll let her borrow my rig (Mod3 B) but hate that she may accidently stare at street lights and/or houses for longer than she should and cause damage to the tubes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:23:28 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kwikvette:
My experience is limited to Gen3+ so I have to ask, how well does Gen1+ work for star gazing?

I ask because I'd hate to spend the money on say, a PVS14 with Gen3+ for my significant other. I'll let her borrow my rig (Mod3 B) but hate that she may accidently stare at street lights and/or houses for longer than she should and cause damage to the tubes.
View Quote
It's been so overcast here I couldn't tell you, lots of rain. As soon as I have a clear night I'll try and report back.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:13:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kwikvette:

View Quote
Not so great, but some improvement. To understand, a SPARK CORE is about the same as a PVS-14 on minimum gain - approx 100x system gain. So if you have a PVS-14, then turn the gain all the way down and try it out, and if you imagine a slightly narrower FOV and some distortion towards the edge, then that's about what you'd see with a SPARK CORE.

But since your SO can affect your budget, don't skimp on them... Get them a PVS-14. And that way you'll have a second unit whenever you're not out with her.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:23:20 PM EST
Those look good. It seems a good IR light really makes these much better. I’ve been on the edge of one of the Vampire models but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Seems like for $1000 you can have the Vampire and a really good IR light and have the resolution of the top stuff.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:30:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By benzy2:
Those look good. It seems a good IR light really makes these much better. I’ve been on the edge of one of the Vampire models but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Seems like for $1000 you can have the Vampire and a really good IR light and have the resolution of the top stuff.
View Quote
That's just the onboard IR. I have t figured out how to hold the sight, camera, and a separate IR illuminator all at once
Top Top