Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2020 11:42:36 PM EDT
I have an early GSG-5 (purchased 02/09/2009) without the riveted ejector that came later. I never got around to sending it back for the rivet mod, mostly because it was working, and if it works...you get it.  I SBR'd it, and it's one of my favorite, go-to weapons for the range.

Lately it's been FTE'ing pretty frequently, so I decided it needed some TLC in the form of a riveted ejector.  I called ATI, got an RMA, stuck it back into Title I status, and sent it in.  The RMA note said "The typical turnaround time for servicing weapons is approximately 4-6 weeks from the date the firearm is received, barring any extenuating circumstances."  Oh, well.

FedEx picked the rifle up 20 Jan, and ATI got it 23 Jan.  Yesterday (5 Feb) FedEx delivered the rifle back.  They shipped the rifle 3 Feb, so by my count they turned the rifle around in less than 12 days.

According to the repair slip: Replaced right and left carrier, breech bolt cover (due to being broken) and stop block.  Ejector replaced and riveted.  30 rounds of CCI Min Mag ammo fired for safety and function with no failures.

Total cost: $0.00, and that includes shipping both ways.

This is awesome customer service, period.  My 11-year-old gun was repaired and returned spotless (and trust me, it wasn't sent in that way) in less than two weeks.  For free.  It doesn't get any better than that.

ETA:  And now that it's home, it's back in it's normal, SBR configuration.

Attachment Attached File

All is well again...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:58:04 AM EDT
[#1]
They do have great CS
Sent me a new firing pin and recently a mystery spring for free no shipping charge

Thanks Kira @ATI
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Sent my GSG5 in for the same reasons in early January. Got it back this week, all fixed up and ready to rock! Great experience with ATI.

I just wish I could find the classic army collapsing stock, Gemtech 3 lug adapter, and a pistol barrel for mine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sent my GSG5 in for the same reasons in early January. Got it back this week, all fixed up and ready to rock! Great experience with ATI.

I just wish I could find the classic army collapsing stock, Gemtech 3 lug adapter, and a pistol barrel for mine.
View Quote
Here's a couple of leads:

Retractable stock

ProMag 3-lug Adapter

Have the carbine barrel cut down to pistol length.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here's a couple of leads:

Retractable stock

ProMag 3-lug Adapter

Have the carbine barrel cut down to pistol length.
View Quote
Just FYI the Promag adapter is made to  standard 5/8-26 thread, GSG used there unique .625"-1mm thread, in metric 15.87mm-1mm So otherwise the adapter will only screw about 1/4 of the way down. I got a 5/8-26 tap on ebay cheap and  re-tapped the GSG to a standard 5/8-26

- you can chase the threads  on the gun and it will fit perfect.  I had to do it, but I can't seem to find the tap in my piles of junk.

I know there were spare factory pistol barrels out there, I got one years back and have the 16" just in case i would revert back to rifle vs SBR.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Ordered one of those Promag adapters with the plan to modify it, but really wish we could get Gemtech ones still.

ATI said they don't get replacement parts for the gsg 5/522 often, last time they received pistol barrels was last May.

The GSG brand collapsing stock seems to have mixed reviews, I'm trying to source a different airsoft one.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just FYI the Promag adapter is made to  standard 5/8-26 thread, GSG used there unique .625"-1mm thread, in metric 15.87mm-1mm So otherwise the adapter will only screw about 1/4 of the way down. I got a 5/8-26 tap on ebay cheap and  re-tapped the GSG to a standard 5/8-26

- you can chase the threads  on the gun and it will fit perfect.  I had to do it, but I can't seem to find the tap in my piles of junk.

I know there were spare factory pistol barrels out there, I got one years back and have the 16" just in case i would revert back to rifle vs SBR.
View Quote
This is great info about the chasing the threads.

And here's another tip.

For $29.99, you can get a spare cocking tube housing so you can "practice" re-tapping the front of the housing where the adapter screws in.  That way you don't have to worry about screwing up your one housing.

Or you could rethread one, and keep one original. That way, if you wanted to return the SBR to Title I status (like I did when I returned mine to ATI for service--much easier that way), you have one cocking tube housing that fits the "fake suppressor," and one that fits the SBR adapter.

ETA:  By the way, the link I sent for a retractable stock is HKParts brand, not the ATI version.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Will ATI not service an NFA SBR example  if it has a legal Form 1 SBR?

I have mine as SBR and stocked up on spare parts (I hope enough) however, just in case - I'd like to know if they do or not.

They are fun guns, especially suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Will ATI not service an NFA SBR example  if it has a legal Form 1 SBR?

I have mine as SBR and stocked up on spare parts (I hope enough) however, just in case - I'd like to know if they do or not.

They are fun guns, especially suppressed.
View Quote
They absolutely will, but their policy is to transfer it both ways on a Form 5, which could add 4-6 weeks (at each end) to the process, waiting for the Form 5 approvals. Not ATF required, but that’s their policy, which is fine.

It was quicker for me to pop the carbine barrel back in and ship it as a Title I weapon. Once I remembered where I put my carbine barrel, it was a 30 min swap
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top