Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2022 10:22:52 AM EDT
Decided to change things up and see how it does at some intermediate range. Goal is 6-800 ammo dependant. Maybe lob some at 1k just for the hell of it. Trying to be realistic none the less and not chasing a precision setup. Currently running some older German m80 it seems to like decent enough I'm hoping to be on steel out to at least 600. Haven't shot the current setup yet as the optic just showed up. Need to at least get some FGMM 168s and see how it likes good ammo. Currently 2-3" with m80.

Details

Socom 16 1:11 twist 16"
Blackfeather RS
Delta P
Casm EX modified
GG&G Bipod Adaptor
Harris Bipod
Fulton Padded Riser
Magpul Sling
Arken SH4 4-16x50 FFP MOA
2.375 HOB

14.5lbs as pictured.

https://imgur.com/a/ywXVzDe
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
See where the gas cylinder lock is ending up while being hand-tightened. If it's past ~5:30, gas cylinder shims would help tighten up your groups, though 2-3 MOA with M80 is fantastic.

14.5 lbs. is downright pig-like. Fine if it's a bench rifle, but, should you want to carry it for any length of time... As an example: my 20" 6.5CM precision AR with a 3-15x is only 11.5 loaded with a twenty rounder. The scope seems like it's way overkill (i.e. heavy) for 6-800 yards. A 2-10x would probably be more appropriate, and I don't think an LPVO would be out of line for that application. A Magpul bipod would further save some ounces, too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Funny you say that as I finally got around to getting the gas lock to time between 530 and 6 by hand. It should be right where it belongs this time around, fingers crossed. I've never even shot match ammo out of this thing with glass on it so maybe if the moon is in retrograde it'll print under 2" but I don't have high hopes right yet. Socom barrels are meh at Best.

As for the rest of it, you're not wrong, I was rather surprised at how hefty it got quick. Even just in the chassis with a micro dot it was over 10lbs. Realistically though I'll be most def punching paper or steel at the range with it from fixed positions so I conceded on trying to trim weight. I have a 16" AR for moving and grooving. Optic wise, I've already killed 2 LPVOs on this thing, albeit lower tier units, they were still "scar rated" primary arms 1-6s. I had been hunting the EE and sales but never could make up my mind on a 2-10. The 16x is WAY too much so I will likely sit around 10-12x for most shooting.  In the future I'd like to get hands on a bolt rifle where this optic will be appropriate, but for now I'm just playing the run what ya brung game as it didn't make sense for me to have 2 rifles set up exactly the same way in the safe. The Harris was just chilling on a .22 in the corner so that got put to use as well. I'll be honest I got an idea ome night and decided to just run with it with what I had laying around save for the optic. 16" seems to be capable enough for me to max out on my capabilities and get my feet wet into shooting distances until I can grow into better setups.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you got it figured out, and you got a rig put together you can work from.

I have not had good luck with Primary Arms' optics. I bought their 1-8x LPVO when it first came out and there were a bunch of issues. Returned it and got two Athlon 1-4x's. Their red dots haven't lasted long, either. I stick with Vortex for cheaper optics.

How do you like the chassis? My M1A is in a USGI fiberglass stock. Prvi 155 HPBT has been phenomenal (MOA) after I got the gas cylinder straightened out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Every time I feel like I have it sorted out, it humbles me all over again. Though i'd like to think im getting close. Sometimes it feels like im just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks lol. I am really hoping it performs well. Ill be taking it down to a long range class this year where the guys putting it on prefer "rack grade rifles and ammo". On paper at 100yds it falls real short of impressive for both my rifles, but in practice 2-3 moa is still useable to out to 6-800 albeit with just lower hit %. I'm not Chris Kyle either but im hoping I can get on steel at extended ranges and if so evaluate things from there.

I like the idea behind primary arms stuff and they're awesome down there to deal with when I had issues, but I will be sticking with higher tier stuff as well. I'm just tough on gear and the m1a really is hard on optics which I learned the hard way. This arken was not on the radar, I had really just shelved the idea of glass till I could afford the new NF NX8 or the NXS 2.5-10 but it seems like this wasn't a bad purchase. Aside from the fact its 36ozs of course. Doing a little fine tuning yesterday I really think at 10-12x is the sweet spot and it keeps the eyebox nice and roomy.

This chassis is a great option vs glass bedding or a sage. Its usgi profile, light weight and pretty modular. With the tunable op rod guide block tensioner I was able to tune out a lot of the weird stringing/fliers it would do when I got it hot. Still a meh quality barrel but a big improvement. If you're getting MOA, don't change a thing! Unless you have the urge to go more modular. For me, the consistency was worth it, no more worrying about front end pressure shifting POI. I'm gonna check out this PRVI ammo, im currently on the hunt for a replacement ammo. My "good" stuff is running low and seems to no longer exist (surplus DAG/MEN) so its back to searching for another affordable, decent ammo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
*character limit*

There are some nuances to the chassis and its options that need pointing out, so if you are considering it def let me know and ill dive into them more. As anything m1a related it ends up being a compromise sometimes. I feel like they got the chassis and its stock adaptors developed and never evaluated it further. It's a home run for sure, but not a grand slam end all be all solution either.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I was just curious about the chassis. The USGI stocks I have work well and suit the specific builds- Blackhawk Down-esque M1A and a Vietnam-era M14. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter, though. I've never had my mitts any of the chassis systems. Best of luck with your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Ironically enough, 2022 seems to have it out for me. Rifle is pulled out of the chassis and back into the walnut.  Unforeseen life expenses. I won't sell a rifle but I will sell the accessories. The chassis systems are awesome in their own right, but at the same time there's alot of hype around them as well. With a proper fit and assembly my socom in the walnut should shoot about the same. Caveat being it won't handle heat as well since as the front band heats up it will change pressure on the ferrule after extended strings of shooting. That's literally the only thing I can really see being discernable.

https://imgur.com/a/GKfo5vi

Waiting on a handguard and a few misc items from Fulton this week and it'll be back to vanilla.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Noice. Still should be a fun rifle.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Even in the chassis ammo has always been my limiting factor, so general performance should be identical.

I really paid attention to everything since its back to being reliant on the front end being assembled properly, gas lock hand times to 5:30 with medium pressure to line up for gas plug. Gas cylinder fits snug but not tight. No front band movement. Light draw pressure, no lateral receiver movement in stock with trigger group out, trigger locks up tight and takes palm of hand to press closed. Ill clearance handguard for no stock contact when it gets here....

Am I missing anything for basic "accurizing and proper fitment"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top