Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2022 9:34:42 AM EDT
SBR noob here. Trying to decide which lower to SBR. Have a "lower end" pistol lower, an "upper end" pistol lower, a rifle lower and an "other" lower. Any advantage or disadvantage to any of them as far as ATF registration? And no, do all 4 is not an option at this time. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I should mention that if those lowers came off an actual 4473d "rifle", then they truly are "rifle" lowers and can't ever be made into pistols.

Technically, if you turned a lower into a "rifle" first it's a rifle and can't go pistol, but if you did that in the privacy of your own home no one is the wiser.

If you have a true "pistol" lower (i.e. was sold as a handgun on a 4473) I would go with that one. That way you can legally go back and forth between SBR, Rifle, and Pistol configurations at your heart's content without any issues (other than state lines if you're keeping it an SBR as you cross).

Otherwise just choose one..or all 4
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I should mention that if those lowers came off an actual 4473d "rifle", then they truly are "rifle" lowers and can't ever be made into pistols.

Technically, if you turned a lower into a "rifle" first it's a rifle and can't go pistol, but if you did that in the privacy of your own home no one is the wiser.

If you have a true "pistol" lower (i.e. was sold as a handgun on a 4473) I would go with that one. That way you can legally go back and forth between SBR, Rifle, and Pistol configurations at your heart's content without any issues (other than state lines if you're keeping it an SBR as you cross).

Otherwise just choose one..or all 4
View Quote
This shit doesn't matter.  OP mentioned he is getting a tax stamp.

Pick a lower you plan to keep forever, or you are pissing away $200.

I registered a Colt, Bushmaster, Ameetec, and probably a PWA.  It doesn't matter what upper or stock you put on it after you get your stamp, as long as it can be converted back to your listed configuration.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My only SBR is an Anderson as its all I buy (I love the closed trigger guard version).

Just make sure it works well first.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I registered a Colt, Bushmaster, Ameetec, and probably a PWA.  It doesn't matter what upper or stock you put on it after you get your stamp, as long as it can be converted back to your listed configuration.
View Quote

It does matter as a rifle-first lower can't be made into a pistol, just an SBR or rifle. If OP wanted to travel to a state that didn't allow loaded rifles in your vehicle, he'd not be able to legally have a loaded rifle-first firearm.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It does matter as a rifle-first lower can't be made into a pistol, just an SBR or rifle. If OP wanted to travel to a state that didn't allow loaded rifles in your vehicle, he'd not be able to legally have a loaded rifle-first firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also matters if he's moving to a state that isn't friendly toward NFA but is friendly toward AR pistols, he can't keep his "SBR configuration" (minus stock and VFG) after removing from the registry. He'd have to convert to something rifle length.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Marquar nailed it above.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Which lower works best with all your uppers?  Is that also one you really enjoy and will keep the longest?  

Financially, that makes the most sense.  Get the most bang for your buck.

Be sure to read up on restrictions about travel and whether you can have it loaded in the passenger area.

Personally, I will never do any NFA items.  I refuse to pay a tax or be subject to restrictions, as both are unconstitutional.  I will stick with rifles and pistols and wear ear muffs.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

He owns other pistol ARs, so just take one of those. My SBRs have never been changed to anything else, I just use a different gun for that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the pistols were purchased as completed pistols and listed as handguns on the 4473. Leaning toward one of them to SBR. Sounds like I would have more options that way. Sent paperwork in last week for my first suppressor so I'm already on the ATF "list". This will just move me up the "list" a little farther.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#11]
As long as it's forged and to spec, doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh. I had a palmetto, spikes, and bushmaster to choose from.

I chose the spikes. They’re all set up nearly identically, I just figured I would never be able to sell the lower with a punisher or PSA logo on it
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the pistols were purchased as completed pistols and listed as handguns on the 4473. Leaning toward one of them to SBR. Sounds like I would have more options that way. Sent paperwork in last week for my first suppressor so I'm already on the ATF "list". This will just move me up the "list" a little farther.
View Quote

Sounds good. From there I'd just choose the one that you'd want to keep most. Once you engrave it, it gets tough to get people to want it if you need to sell it, so consider it a permanent addition to your safe.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are going to go down the path, its worth investing in a decent lower. Colt, LMT, Larue, KAC. It really is a lifetime commitment, as others have said.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As long as it's forged and to spec, doesn't matter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my stamp back today for my first SBR. Filed on 4/24 and got it back approved on 5/6. Went with my DD MK18. Thanks for all your input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top