Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
11/2/2022 4:30:06 PM
Posted: 11/18/2021 6:40:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN]
So I got some black specs in my tube/housing and hoping they might be just debris I took the rear lens off sprayed with canned air and put it back together to look through. When I looked I noticed they moved. So I figured it was something with the rear ocular and ordered a whole new carson kit. Today i put the new rear lens on and the spots were still there but they moved some more. I don't think they can be blems since they move. So is there something else I should be paying attention to when I install my tube in the new housing? I'm currently waiting on a tool to loosen/remove the ring to take out the tube. I checked the pin to make sure it was there to hold the tube in place. And I made sure to hold the 14 the same way/how its mounted to my helmet. Anyone ever have a reflection or something from inside the housing or is there something that would cause this?

Was thinking they might be some stuff loose in the actual tube, but they all stay in the same pattern.
missing
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:24:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#1]
How about some more details. Describing the problem without knowing manufacturer, model, etc....not that helpful.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:36:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jack19:
How about some more details. Describing the problem without knowing manufacturer, model, etc....not that helpful.
View Quote

L3 MX10160 18UM

Same as this guys

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/-New-Pics-Pair-of-L3-thin-film-18um-Mx10160-tubes/172-2172545/

Would acetone be ok to clean the glass on the actual tube?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:33:52 AM EST
[#3]
If it's moving like that, I'd suspect debris between the lenses and the tube.  If it wasn't originally assembled in a "Clean Room" type of environment, or the assembler wasn't wearing clean gloves, or the parts were stored uncovered, etc. it's very easy to get debris inside a housing like that.  Not to mention greasy fingerprints on the lenses and so forth.  In this case, I think it needs a complete dis-assembly, cleaning, and re-assembly. And maybe even a purge; depends on where you live, humidity, etc.  I would be leaning towards a professional service at this point.  But you can DIY.

Pay particular attention to the threads, which are just plastic, so if you cross-thread any at all, you will be grating plastic all over the insides.  So de-burr (carefully with 150 grit) and clean these thoroughly.  Then clean entire housing.  I'd give the whole thing a compressed air blow down, alcohol wipe down, compressed air blow down, and then store in bags until re-assembly.      

As to cleaning the lenses.  I would start with just alcohol wipe and very carefully go to acetone if necessary.  But be careful; don't saturate the part; small amount on a piece of lens paper; light pressure.  Did you notice spots moving when you adjusted focus?  Just wondering what brought your attention this way.

For re-assembly, set up the best "clean room" you can.  Pay attention to air flow and lint.  Use white, lint free gloves (or exam gloves, non-powdered in a pinch).  Clean tools.  Depending on you, consider safety glasses,  mask, or hair net.  Object is to keep things from you, falling inside housing.  Obviously(?) don't clean and re-assemble in the same spot.  Or if you do, clean up area first before re-assembly.

If you haven't worked in a clean room environment, you just don't know what you don't know.  And depending on where it was assembled/where you live, things may not be conducive to building NV.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:49:11 AM EST
[#4]
I think this is a very good lesson for all those guys reading all those posts about "how easy this is" and decide to build/work on their own.  I would be careful just buying parts, will-nilly here, trying to fix a problem.  You quickly wind up spending more money than just buying a nice rig from the start.  Believe me, been so down this road.

OP now has all new housing/lenses, I take it, so this should isolate problem to tube, if spots are still there.  

BTW, OP, did the same thing myself, bought a used -14 and ended up replacing everything but the tube.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:25:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#5]
Originally Posted By Diz:
I think this is a very good lesson for all those guys reading all those posts about "how easy this is" and decide to build/work on their own.  I would be careful just buying parts, will-nilly here, trying to fix a problem.  You quickly wind up spending more money than just buying a nice rig from the start.  Believe me, been so down this road.

OP now has all new housing/lenses, I take it, so this should isolate problem to tube, if spots are still there.  

BTW, OP, did the same thing myself, bought a used -14 and ended up replacing everything but the tube.
View Quote

Plot twist, I got it new from night vision guys and it's been a nightmare.

And ya, I've moved the front objective with no change.

When you say debris between the glass and tube are you meaning the rear lens or the glass on the tube?
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 8:30:49 AM EST
[#6]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

Plot twist, I got it new from night vision guys and it's been a nightmare.

And ya, I've moved the front objective with no change.

When you say debris between the glass and tube are you meaning the rear lens or the glass on the tube?
View Quote

why not just send it back to them, citing the issue? its an easy fix if it is debris, and they should have the assembly tools, and be able to repurge the device for you.

if they are tiny spots, you shouldnt even notice them under normal use.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 8:58:51 AM EST
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 10:22:42 AM EST
[#8]
Good points.  With all new housing and glass, are spots still there?
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 1:34:48 PM EST
[#9]
Originally Posted By chosos:

why not just send it back to them, citing the issue? its an easy fix if it is debris, and they should have the assembly tools, and be able to repurge the device for you.

if they are tiny spots, you shouldnt even notice them under normal use.
View Quote

You'd think it would be that easy, but no.

See, when you contact them about issues they quit responding.  Contact them about a purchase after the issue,  they reply in like 5mins.

They're a steaming pile of shit. Spent close to 12k last year on NV, luckily only 2.5k went to them. Couldn't imagine having to deal with more...or should say try to deal with them..

Fuck them all. Hack of a company.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 3:49:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#10]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
I know you talked about some of the issues in the other thread as well, but I can't remember everything that transpired.

So far you have-

1. Gotten a whole new kit
2. Removed the tube from the old housing
3. Put the original tube in the new housing

And your still having what problems? Debris in field?

You cleaned the front lens also or at least checked it well before installing the tube in the housing correct? Best time to do that IMO if when the housing is in two parts. Use a flashlight and check the front lens. Good idea to blow out with compressed air at this point as well.

I don't know about acetone.... would stick to alcohol if possible.

You have a magnifying loop?  Check the tube under that, then install. Ditto with the eyepiece lens- check under loop, blow out with compressed air as need be.

New in box Carson kits are usually pretty clean as far as the lenses go, rare to have to open one that's a mess.

What are you purging with or are you? I don't know about DIY homebrew purge methods but I know one time we had the pressure a little too high on our purge kit and it blew crap everywhere in the unit requiring it to be completely disassembled and everything re-cleaned.  Good idea to take a gander through the unit right before purging then again after purging to see if anything changed- i.e, some crap was introduced.

Like I said, I don't know about some of the home brew purge methods folks talk about but that could possibly be introducing some debris in field also. Let us know what your doing in that regard.
View Quote

New housing fixed the spots. Shitty AGM housing and glass was the issue.

Followed Diz and your advice. Thank you.

Now not sure if to clean up the old housing and sell it for cheap or turn it into a loaner tube.

Link Posted: 11/20/2021 4:18:48 PM EST
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:51:30 AM EST
[#12]
Damn sorry about all the hassle dude, but you're where you need to be, lessons learned n all.  I did the exact same thing, so we both learned the hard way.   Not the best way but "A" way.

Yes it sucks, but when you really need it, you'll realize that whatever price you paid was irrelevant.  It could easily be worth 2-3x that amount in paper money if things get really stupid.

Just glad it worked out.  As for the old housing and lenses, they sound like total shit, but, if you could find a decent used tube, who knows; maybe it would make a good back-up/loaner.  But I'd clean the ever-loving dogshit out of it.  Like a Northern Tools parts cleaner filled with Simple Green or something.

Maybe not now, with market so super-heated, but down the line you might be able to find a used tube somewhere.  If not sell housing and lenses to guy with used tubes.  Ya never know.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:05:21 PM EST
[#13]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

You'd think it would be that easy, but no.

See, when you contact them about issues they quit responding.  Contact them about a purchase after the issue,  they reply in like 5mins.

They're a steaming pile of shit. Spent close to 12k last year on NV, luckily only 2.5k went to them. Couldn't imagine having to deal with more...or should say try to deal with them..

Fuck them all. Hack of a company.
View Quote

This is what they do man. Felix is a snake. I had one ‘ok’ experiment with them on my first tube, but that was before I had ever looked through quality gear and realized how effed mine was. My buddy ordered 2 units from him and they both showed up with different glass on both the objective and the ocular. Took literal months for Felix to read his emails enough times to get him at least one of the units switched out (from their builder, as Felix said then don’t do any building in house) I’ve got some people on my ‘do not do business’ list.. they’re on my ‘block IP’ list
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 3:56:43 PM EST
[#14]
Originally Posted By Alevinson91:

This is what they do man. Felix is a snake. I had one ‘ok’ experiment with them on my first tube, but that was before I had ever looked through quality gear and realized how effed mine was. My buddy ordered 2 units from him and they both showed up with different glass on both the objective and the ocular. Took literal months for Felix to read his emails enough times to get him at least one of the units switched out (from their builder, as Felix said then don’t do any building in house) I’ve got some people on my ‘do not do business’ list.. they’re on my ‘block IP’ list
View Quote

Ya, got to spend $700 on a new housing $400 after I sold my old one. Luckily the tube is actually nice. Have a known 28.5 TNVC to compare it against, and I can't notice a difference between the two now.

But after everything should have just went with a site vendor. I didn't save any money in the long run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top