Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2023 1:45:40 AM EDT
Just moved to AZ, want to get a few SBRs.  I don’t have kids or people to pass them on to, do I still need a trust?

Do I file the form 1 now and engrave once the stamp comes?  Still not sure what I need, photos, fingerprints?  Do I need these before filing?  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:50:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#1]
You can engrave any time you like, just don't put a short barrel on it until the tax stamp comes. Yes, you need fingerprint card and passport photo. There was a thread on e-filing for a tax stamp somewhere around here...

Here it is:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Visual-Guide-How-to-Fill-out-a-Form-1-using-EForms/17-493132/
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:02:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vague] [#2]
If you ever anticipate letting someone else borrow your SBR a trust makes sense. If it's always just going to be you, perhaps not. I have sons who take my stuff all the time so a trust made sense for me.

Process as I recall it:
Get passport photos.
Get fingerprints (I ordered 50 blank cards from atf for free and a ink pad from Amazon)
There are step by step videos of how to efile f1 on yt. I just followed along with one.
You will get a coversheet via email. Print it and mail it together with your fingerprints to atf.
I didn't engrave until it was approved (local jeweler $10). Nothing says you cannot.

Don't get caught with a short barrel attached to your lower until approved or your life will get complicated.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:22:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#3]
I recommend laser engraving. The hard coat mil spec anodizing will shatter with traditional bit engraving, leaving an ugly mess. (if doing an AR15).
Traditional engraving is ok for steel receiver rifles.

Just make sure the depth and size of the engraving is according to NFA requirements. Places that do NFA engraving regularly know the drill. The local place I use charges $50, thats about standard price.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By titan7:
Just moved to AZ, want to get a few SBRs.  I don’t have kids or people to pass them on to, do I still need a trust?

Do I file the form 1 now and engrave once the stamp comes?  Still not sure what I need, photos, fingerprints?  Do I need these before filing?  Thanks
View Quote

If you have or may in the future have people that you want to allow to use the NFA items, while you’re alive, without you present(wife/kids/other family/hunting buddies). A Trust is the way to go. If none of that applies or will ever apply to you, go individual file.

Engrave before assembling it as an NFA item. Whether it’s now, during your wait, after your wait, all up to you. THSF does good work.

Paper Form 1 you’ll need physical passport style photos, physical fingerprint cards.

Eform 1 you’ll likely want a digital photo, prints can be paper and mailed after submitting, or digital prints can be submitted instantly with the Eform. I’d get an at home kit that comes with cards if you’re only going to do a couple. If you’ll be doing more in the future, send one of the extra complete cards in and have an EFT made.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I was intimidated at first but it was easier than I thought. Finger prints done by myself and two selfies.Triple check your form. Although with the brace nonsense the wait times are getting longer. Now if the wait times for form 4 suppressors ever becomes reasonable again..
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
EFT file for fingerprints is the way to go.

ATF never got a few of my sets, stamps denied.  Never an issue with the EFT.  

I had mine done at a local UPS store after finding a vendor who would accept the livescan and convert it for a fee.  Super easy to do.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you!   So I will start this, I’m guessing I should not order in parts like MK18 uppers or short barrels until I have approval?

Trust me I have no interest in having my life get compromised so, they are parts until approval.

Would like to do as much as I can on-line.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By titan7:
Thank you!   So I will start this, I’m guessing I should not order in parts like MK18 uppers or short barrels until I have approval?

Trust me I have no interest in having my life get compromised so, they are parts until approval.

Would like to do as much as I can on-line.
View Quote

Several online tutorials regarding filing a Form 1.

Parts are parts, order away.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 1:34:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#9]
I did my first form 1 SBR using the video below. Watched it a couple times to get some familiarity, and then when going through the actual filling out of the form, I would watch the video and pause at every step.

I did four SBR's last year and an SBS this year. All got approved. Timeframe for approval was between 6 and 52 calendar days.

National Gun Trust Form 1 Walkthrough Video

1) Go to ATF website and register your eform account.

2) Get fingerprints taken. Whether electronic or paper. If electronic, you'll have to upload the eft file when you submit your form. If paper, you have 10 days to get them to the ATF once form is submitted, so I don't submit my form til the day I got my prints done. I've only ever done paper cards and had them done at my local sheriff substation. Sent them via USPS Priority Mail envelope. No signature required. If you do paper, order the cards from the ATF website before starting your form.

2) Take a headshot of yourself with a neutral facial expression. Must be from the shoulders up and include your entire head. Background should be a solid colored wall, and I believe it has to be lighter color also. You will upload that on to your form.

3) Make electronic payment of $200 for tax stamp and submit form. Mail cover sheet with paper prints to ATF ASAP. If you did electronic, you don't have to mail anything.

4) Get gun engraved. Some places won't do it until you have an approved form.

5) Once approved you will receive an email with notification of status change. If approved, your form will have the stamp attached to it, and it will be electronic PDF only. I created a specific Gmail folder just for my approved stamps, and then move those emails to the folder. I also save the PDF in my Google Drive, and take a screenshot of my approved form.

6) Gleefully put a real stock and VFG on your new SBR.

I did all mine as an individual, but should've done a trust so I could leave them to my son and wife if I die.

I bought all my stocks and VFG's and had them ready to install as soon as my forms were approved. Totally always waited for approval
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
EFT file for fingerprints is the way to go.

ATF never got a few of my sets, stamps denied.  Never an issue with the EFT.  

I had mine done at a local UPS store after finding a vendor who would accept the livescan and convert it for a fee.  Super easy to do.
View Quote

This…
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread reminds me I need to get 3 receivers engraved as the Form 1's were approved probably about 6 months ago

Any requirements on how long you can wait to do the engraving or is it no big deal?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
This thread reminds me I need to get 3 receivers engraved as the Form 1's were approved probably about 6 months ago

Any requirements on how long you can wait to do the engraving or is it no big deal?
View Quote
As long as you want, so long as you haven't built the firearms into the SBR configuration yet...
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 2:19:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: colt-fan] [#14]
First, welcome to az.

When in doubt a trust can be nice. They are not hard to initially set up. I got my first few nfa items before I got married. To allow her to have access to the safe/items I had to repay $200 per item to transfer into trust.

The rest of the process is actually pretty easy. Set up an account with atf, have fingerprints, photos, fill out the forms, pay them, and wait.

If you want to be 100% covered, just wait until approval to get the upper.

For engraving I've had great experience with leach laser.  They let me make an appointment and wait while they did it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top