Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The most experience with 6.8SPC I have was getting several Boxes from an Estate and for a while it was a thing, but it and .224 Valkyrie (and some other I expect) have fallen by the wayside or have they?

Is anyone offering 6.8 complete uppers or is it a specialty? (read "expensive")
View Quote
was it every actually “alive”?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The most experience with 6.8SPC I have was getting several Boxes from an Estate and for a while it was a thing, but it and .224 Valkyrie (and some other I expect) have fallen by the wayside or have they?

6.8SPC was once very alive.  Every maker listed a 6.8 in their line up.

Then .300 Blackout hit and captured everyone's imagination far better.  Not needing a special bolt or magazine helped a LOT with commercial acceptance.

6.8 was also harmed by the endless attacks from people who preferred 6.5 Grendel.  There's no 6.8 thread from back when that doesn't have at least one of five people who felt compelled to say their round was better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
6.8's two main problems in my opinion are the poor rollout including the chamber nonsense and the fact that it had a direct competitor rising in popularity at the same time 6.5 Grendel. The main reason it isn't super mainstream is that most people don't need more than 223 and aren't going to spend extra for blasting. It is used enough it will probably always be around in one form or another at this point. I've always said if someone else was buying my ammo I'd have a Six8
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not dead, it’s just become a hunting caliber with a dedicated fan base… so niche in other words. It’s great when hand loaded. I shot a bull elk with my SBR 6.8 this last year.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/4FF3479B-431C-4F76-A2A5-C9F3B91FA19D_jpe-2363404.JPG

View Quote

Yes, this is the best summary of the 6.8 SPC.  It's a great AR cartridge for killing stuff.  

That's why I used to have 2 but now have 3 6.8 rifles  I had decided to stop at 2, one rifle as my main hunting AR and a second upper as a backup.  Then I found a barely used barrel by the maker we can't talk about at a screaming deal.  I'm sure we all know how this goes - I AR plus 1 "spare" upper +1 barrel = 3 complete AR rifles.

Most gun owners in general shoot paper (or steel). Most people who own ARs shoot paper (or steel).  5.56 ARs shoot paper or steel just as well as 6.8 ARs, and factory ammo is much cheaper in 5.56.

Of all the people who own ARs, only a portion are hunters, and only a portion of those want to hunt with AR.  So really, to have a significant reason to own a 6.8 AR you need to be gun owner who also likes ARs who also hunts and wants to hunt with an AR.  In other words, it's very much a niche cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Then .300 Blackout hit and captured everyone's imagination far better.  Not needing a special bolt or magazine helped a LOT with commercial acceptance.

6.8 was also harmed by the endless attacks from people who preferred 6.5 Grendel.  There's no 6.8 thread from back when that doesn't have at least one of five people who felt compelled to say their round was better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were people on both sides of the 6.8 SPC vs. 6.5 Grendel caliber wars, but I think some of the most vocal 6.5 Grendel advocates stuck around on Arfcom longer.  It seems like both camps have mostly retired to their respective dedicated forums, still badmouthing the other cartridge and occasionally griping about Arfcom.

Frankly, the caliber war between 6.8 vs. 6.5 is one of the stupidest things I've ever witnessed in the gun community.  You have two groups of guys who enjoy shooting ARs in variant calibers, yet rather than see how much they have in common it became a multi-year dick measuring contest.  Watching grown men employ mental gymnastics to try and use tiny numerical differences to declare their choice the greatest ever and the opposite caliber the worst POS was ridiculous.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Mehh it was all so tiring.
Went to gun show and a guy had a few Grendel uppers for sale.
I fucked up and mentioned that I owned a couple of 6.8 uppers.
This fucking jackwagon whom never entrusted his hearing to any hearing protection at any point in his life, followed me for 3 tables yapping about the 6.5 grendle.
Fuck me all I wanted to do was look at the upper.
I own 2 of each now as well as the sweet assed CZ in 6.5G
Some folks get so emotionally wrapped up in the simplest shit.
Get both for fuck sake.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There were people on both sides of the 6.8 SPC vs. 6.5 Grendel caliber wars, but I think some of the most vocal 6.5 Grendel advocates stuck around on Arfcom longer.  It seems like both camps have mostly retired to their respective dedicated forums, still badmouthing the other cartridge and occasionally griping about Arfcom.

Frankly, the caliber war between 6.8 vs. 6.5 is one of the stupidest things I've ever witnessed in the gun community.  You have two groups of guys who enjoy shooting ARs in variant calibers, yet rather than see how much they have in common it became a multi-year dick measuring contest.  Watching grown men employ mental gymnastics to try and use tiny numerical differences to declare their choice the greatest ever and the opposite caliber the worst POS was ridiculous.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I didn't really see that.  Maybe I missed it.  I'm a Grendel guy, but can't really say anything bad about 6.8.  They are mostly interchangeable, with Grendel shining a bit more as a target round at distance, and 6.8 shining a tiny bit more at closer range.  The biggest advantage Grendel had was the route to 25 cent factory ammo, that 6.8 never got.  Making a Grendel a viable pleasure day plinking and 3-gun, gun.  Grendel longer legs have more weight to me as a 500+ yard shooter, than the realtively small advantage of 6.8 at 50 yards.  But for a hunter who has no interst in 500 yards, which is actually most people, the 6.8 is arguably better.  I like the higher pressure rating and stronger bolt of the 6.8.

Main reason I went the Grendel route, was the steel, the few hundred extra yards at the far end of a gong range, and the commonality of reloading logistics as a 6.5CM guy as well.   But really, 6.8 is a pretty great round.  If I were a .270 guy, I might have even gone 6.8.   Now that .25 cent Grendel ammo is gone, that advantage has gone away there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
As other's have said, 6.8mm is probably the optimal round to kill things with.  Can use the standard AR platform and not have to go to the AR10 with various issues about what fits what.  Recoil is mild, and the round is great for deer and hogs and such.  With it's drop it's a 300 yard or less round unless you really have your drop noted and use a rangfinder - but almost all hunting is within that range.

For self defense, it's hard to beat too.  A big step up from 5.56mm, while keeping the same overall sized rifle.

But, no cheap ammo, and the 6.5/6.8mm purse swinging fights didn't help.  

Still, it's a great round, and there are enough rifles in this caliber to keep the big ammo makers loading it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if you are looking to kill something with an AR get a 6.8
View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Endless attacks?

Lol
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Endless attacks?

Lol
View Quote

It may be weird wording but I understand what he’s saying. You couldn’t post a thread about either caliber anywhere without it turning into a silly pissing match.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It may be weird wording but I understand what he’s saying. You couldn’t post a thread about either caliber anywhere without it turning into a silly pissing match.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Endless attacks?

Lol

I seem to recall it was pretty even.

I watched a lot of those threads because I couldn’t decide which one I wanted…
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Endless attacks?

Lol

That's why I said either. Just like the 300 Blackout threads now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Sure hope it's not dead, having two ARs in the caliber.  One I bought, and one I built.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]
6.8 SPC II is one upper I still want to build.  This will be a dedicated hunting rifle.  Couple of my observations for lack of sales (to include the 6.5G) last two years is economy based.  Production has shifted to the main calibers.  Also people have less disposable income right now with inflation going up.  When I ever build mine, factory ammo will be for cases as I reload and cast.

CD
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#16]
.41 Magnum niche?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I love my 6.8. I have 2 Grendels, started with an 18" and moved up to a 20 trying to chase speed and just never could get the speed I wanted. I broke 2 bolts trying, including a JP.  I bought a 18" 6.8 barrel from He Who Can't Be Named and haven't looked back.
I can get a couple hundred FPS faster In my 18" 6.8 and can tell it hits harder within 3-400 yards. Anything past that and Im moving up to a bigger round.
The way I see it is yeah the Grendel may pass it eventually but by the time it does neither have enough energy or speed for any practical purpose besides punching a hole in paper and there are still better rounds for that at that distance. My Grendel's hardly ever make it out of the safe. Ive never shot factory ammo in my 6.8 so that may make a difference but wouldn't think it would be much.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
6.8 SPC II is one upper I still want to build.  This will be a dedicated hunting rifle.  Couple of my observations for lack of sales (to include the 6.5G) last two years is economy based.  Production has shifted to the main calibers.  Also people have less disposable income right now with inflation going up.  When I ever build mine, factory ammo will be for cases as I reload and cast.

CD
View Quote

@Combat_Diver Starline makes excellent 6.8 brass, and I've gotten two shipments during the latest panic by backordering.  I'm slowly working my way through a couple batches of factory brass I obtained by shooting factory loads.  With common calibers being expensive these days, and niche calibers being crazy expensive, I decided that rather than buy more Hornady or S&B to shoot up for factory loads to replace cases that have finally reached loose primer pocket, I'm simply going to go with all Starline.

Something to consider.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love my 6.8. I have 2 Grendels, started with an 18" and moved up to a 20 trying to chase speed and just never could get the speed I wanted. I broke 2 bolts trying, including a JP.  I bought a 18" 6.8 barrel from He Who Can't Be Named and haven't looked back.
I can get a couple hundred FPS faster In my 18" 6.8 and can tell it hits harder within 3-400 yards. Anything past that and Im moving up to a bigger round.
The way I see it is yeah the Grendel may pass it eventually but by the time it does neither have enough energy or speed for any practical purpose besides punching a hole in paper and there are still better rounds for that at that distance. My Grendel's hardly ever make it out of the safe. Ive never shot factory ammo in my 6.8 so that may make a difference but wouldn't think it would be much.
View Quote

Exactly. The 6.8 when handloaded is hard to beat, especially  with ARP barrel and super bolt. A friend of mine has the same 18” as you, and it produces very impressive speeds.

The load I shot the elk with is 120gr cavity back, 2500fps out of a 12.5” suppressed. Next time I shoot with my bud, I’ll chrony the loads out of his 18”.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@Combat_Diver Starline makes excellent 6.8 brass, and I've gotten two shipments during the latest panic by backordering.  I'm slowly working my way through a couple batches of factory brass I obtained by shooting factory loads.  With common calibers being expensive these days, and niche calibers being crazy expensive, I decided that rather than buy more Hornady or S&B to shoot up for factory loads to replace cases that have finally reached loose primer pocket, I'm simply going to go with all Starline.

Something to consider.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion.  Normally miss hunting season so that's way its always on the back burning, same with finishing my .308 build.  Speaking of niche cartridges I've been reloading and later casting for about a dozen .41 Mags since the mid 80s.

CD
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lots of people offer uppers.  I do think it's a fringe cartridge as it's only used in the ar.  I think it's likely it and the Valkyrie eventually fall off.  Kind of think the grendel might as well.  It has a bit of advantage in that there are 3 or 4 bolts that are sold in the caliber.  But I kinda think that the 6mm arc eventually becomes the main caliber outside of 5.56.  the arc is actually being used in the military and I think Willis start getting more use.  That typically means it will become more popular
View Quote

SHIT
I best turn mine in then & do a 5-spell in pokey for possession of an illegal gun.
Could have sworn my 6.8SPC was a Remington 700 LTR, but what do I know?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It may be weird wording but I understand what he's saying. You couldn't post a thread about either caliber anywhere without it turning into a silly pissing match.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Endless attacks?

Lol

It may be weird wording but I understand what he's saying. You couldn't post a thread about either caliber anywhere without it turning into a silly pissing match.
Yup. I 'member.

Like a bunch of you guys have said, I went 6.5G with the determining factor being the cheap-but-decent Wolf ammo. That's it.

Two different buddies went 6.8. We hog hunted a lot together and couldn't ever tell a difference, of course.

The part that'll really bake your noodle is that 5.56 actually kills hogs about as well as the others
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

SHIT
I best turn mine in then & do a 5-spell in pokey for possession of an illegal gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of people offer uppers.  I do think it's a fringe cartridge as it's only used in the ar.  I think it's likely it and the Valkyrie eventually fall off.  Kind of think the grendel might as well.  It has a bit of advantage in that there are 3 or 4 bolts that are sold in the caliber.  But I kinda think that the 6mm arc eventually becomes the main caliber outside of 5.56.  the arc is actually being used in the military and I think Willis start getting more use.  That typically means it will become more popular

SHIT

When's the last time someone made a bolt action in 6.8? The Remington guns didn't sell well. I think I only saw one in person maybe a Sendero looking gun but it's been a while. It never made much sense to me in a bolt action. Ruger did the Mini for a little while but killed it. Think you can still get an XCR in 6.8 but 99.999% of 6.8 guns are AR's.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I keep the 6.8's for shorter range stuff. If I need to reach out I step up to 6.5 Creedmoor.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When's the last time someone made a bolt action in 6.8? The Remington guns didn't sell well. I think I only saw one in person maybe a Sendero looking gun but it's been a while. It never made much sense to me in a bolt action. Ruger did the Mini for a little while but killed it. Think you can still get an XCR in 6.8 but 99.999% of 6.8 guns are AR's.
View Quote

Seems like all the cool guns turn into a flash in the pan.
On a slight tangent; CZ has discontinued their CZ550 which was a smallish/carbine sized Bolt Action predominantly in 7.62x39 and that would have been a sweet Rifle chambered in 6.8 or 6.5
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

On a slight tangent; CZ has discontinued their CZ550 which was a smallish/carbine sized Bolt Action predominantly in 7.62x39 and that would have been a sweet Rifle chambered in 6.8 or 6.5
View Quote

The 527 was the small action.  550 was an full size.  

CD
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#27]
A CZ micro action in 6.8 SPC at a reasonable price would be a buy for me.  

A Howa, Mossberg or RAR in 6.8 likewise.  If Temington offered a Model 7 in 6.8 I’d jump on that too.

But none of these will ever happen because nobody, aside from a very few of us, wants a 6.8 bolt action rifle.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Bolt action weird middle calibers is a pretty small market. Howa has done well with their mini action and are probably a big part of the reason CZ backed out. If you want one bad enough you could always go the custom route. Even something like an American could probably be converted.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bolt action weird middle calibers is a pretty small market. Howa has done well with their mini action and are probably a big part of the reason CZ backed out. If you want one bad enough you could always go the custom route. Even something like an American could probably be converted.
View Quote

I don’t like the idea enough to pay custom prices

I have three ARs now in 6.8, one with a 20” barrel.  At production prices I’d still buy one.

Mossberg even made their Predator bolt action in 224 Valkyrie.  So close.  Even uses AR mags.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Really enjoy my 6.8 SPC in the AR, been a great deer getter for me,  and have a carbine barrel for my contender as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an AR In 6.8 spc as my deer rifle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Thinking about culling all but all but three 5.56 Ars.  Would like to find some 6.8 brass and a 10.5 inch barrel for another 6.8 build.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thinking about culling all but all but three 5.56 Ars.  Would like to find some 6.8 brass and a 10.5 inch barrel for another 6.8 build.

View Quote

Starline is probably the best source for 6.8 brass.  When Starline lists it as available for backorder, just put in a backorder.   Brass usually ships in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
.41 Magnum niche?
View Quote

I own a .41 magnum.  I want a 6.8 but there appears to be very little ammo.  I have no desire to own a Grendel.  I always heard the 6.5 was for shooting paper and the 6.8 was for killing stuff.  I would rather have the second choice.  I even bought a set of reloading dies and I have a 6.8 bolt laid back should I build one.   Maybe in the next life.
kwg
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I own a .41 magnum.  I want a 6.8 but there appears to be very little ammo.  I have no desire to own a Grendel.  I always heard the 6.5 was for shooting paper and the 6.8 was for killing stuff.  I would rather have the second choice.  I even bought a set of reloading dies and I have a 6.8 bolt laid back should I build one.   Maybe in the next life.
kwg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.41 Magnum niche?

kwg

With a good bullet, either one will kill the same stuff dead.  

IMHO, if you want to shoot 6.8 you really need to handload for it.  There's factory ammo out there, but it ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

I've two 527s, one is a grendel the other a 223.
And one 550 in 6.5 creed.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#37]
6.8SPC is the superior round for PDWs / SBRs / AR Pistols.  Small AR15 package with a lot of punch. Far superior to .300blk.

Go with 6.5 if you want long range. 6.8SPC for a light compact package that outperforms everything else
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top