Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2021 6:57:16 AM EDT
I’ve owned Scars, AR10’s (Armalite, DPMS, PWS, LMT) and of course AR15’s and want to finally settle on a 308 rifle for my all-purpose gun including hunting coyotes and hogs when I visit family in Texas. Have never fired a Tavor of any kind nor a bullpup.

I currently own a DPMS and a PWS in 308; both shoot really well and I’m keeping them. I’m looking for something either lighter or more maneuverable; loved the Scar17’s I’ve had but could never get right with the stock, the reciprocating CH and the fact suppressor use isn’t warrantied....sorry, but for it being ‘the best battle rifle in the world’ and costing well over $3K, I have to ask ‘why not’?

The Tavor 7 seems to fit the bill......or am I making a huge mistake? I’m paying well over retail but not getting ‘gouged’....and probably more importantly, I don’t NEED it, I want it. I also need another AR15, maybe I should save my money and buy that?

It feels weird to ask these things as I’m a grown man but I’ll defer to the wisdom of those who have probably ‘been there and done that’ since I’ve no way of touching one before buying.

Thanks in advance y’all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What are your expectations for the rifle?  Accuracy, etc.?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#2]
kinda interested...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Hunting, Minute of Man accuracy to 500y with appropriate optic and offset red dot for CQB should the need arise.....doubtful but would want to practice from 100y and in with faster shots than the optic can provide. Enough power to kill a large hog with one shot. I don’t think 5.56 will get it and unsure with 300blk as I’ve not hunted hogs before. There is 100% certainty we do so on next trip to Texas.

I neglected to mention earlier that I stock 5.56, 308 and 300blk and have weapons in each caliber.

All in all, is the juice worth the squeeze as the saying goes? I’m spending $2600, know I want another AR15 (preferably another PWS), already own a good 308, etc. Is this (or any bullpup I suppose) gonna wow me enough? I do understand I’m in the bullpup forum asking this question ;)
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#4]
In my opinion it is the best all around bully in .308 made with quality.

I did a review on it. It does spec accuracy with M80 ball and the recoil impulse isn’t as harsh as a MDR in .308...

KM makes a great bully as well...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I'll buy it and take it to the range with my PWS and see what happens. Worst case, I sell it and get my money back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think it's a mistake at all.  When I shot a Tavor 7 in .308, it was a pleasant enough experience.  Biggest complaint I've seen is the accuracy has dissappointed people.

I do have to ask - have you considered the Desert Tech MDRx?  From what I can tell, they've worked the bugs out in the "x" version.  Price point is comparable.  I like the MDRx because it has a few better more modern features, and the ability to switch it from .308 to 6.5 CM to 5.56 to .300 BO is kind of neat.  And the ability to switch shoulders and shoot either side of one's face is a pretty nice feature.  

If it were me, I'd get the MDRx over the Tavor; but I the Tevor-7 is a good gun too.  My own logic and criteria though, is the point of the heavier round is to increase effective range.  There are few settings where at 50 yards .308 would have been that much more effective than 5.56, in my opinion.  But at 200 yards+, that difference will really start to show up.  Which is where accuracy starts to matter.   And on that note, if my goal is to hit stuff hard at distance, then 6.5 CM start looking the more interesting.  If my goal is effective bullpup for sub 200 yard work, I view 5.56 as just fine (obviously not everyone will agree).  That's why I never really looked that hard at Tavor-7, it wasn't available in creedmoor, and it wasn't sufficiently accurate to justify the $2k pricepoint for hitting stuff at distance.  Obviously, others have other criteria, and it is a pretty bad-ass gun, so definatelly not a mistake to get, if you want a harder hitting 100 yard .308 bullpup.  Though... I think MDRx does all that, and more.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm waiting for a Tavor 7 right now.  They seem like a good design.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I hunt hogs with a Tavor 7 with a Bering Optics Super Hogster Thermal and a YHM Resonator R2 can.  The only complaint I have is that I occasionally get a light primer strike when using Wolf or Tula steel case ammo.  Not something you want to happen when you are unloading on a sounder of swine.  It's a sweet rig.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks y’all. To answer some of the above questions/points; I feel that IWI as a company is more proven, I could be wrong but that’s my impression so am going with that. I need to use a PayPal balance. Effective range is what it is but I also consider the power in closer ranges being an advantage over 5.56. Still, I’m guessing the Tavor7 could put a hurt on a bad guy at 400m if I do my part.

Glad to see comments re hogs. I’m dying to go hog hunting and will for sure next time I head to Texas to see relatives. I have a Trijicon thermal I hope to use in this or the PWS MK216 I currently own; will take both to the range and shake them out.

I’ve committed to the Tavor7 and hope to favorably report back in a couple weeks after a range session or two.

Side question; does the Tavor7 play nice with steel cased ammo? I don’t own any and likely won’t but am now curious in case I see some at a good price.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think it's a mistake at all.  When I shot a Tavor 7 in .308, it was a pleasant enough experience.  Biggest complaint I've seen is the accuracy has dissappointed people.

I do have to ask - have you considered the Desert Tech MDRx?  From what I can tell, they've worked the bugs out in the "x" version.  Price point is comparable.  I like the MDRx because it has a few better more modern features, and the ability to switch it from .308 to 6.5 CM to 5.56 to .300 BO is kind of neat.  And the ability to switch shoulders and shoot either side of one's face is a pretty nice feature.  

If it were me, I'd get the MDRx over the Tavor; but I the Tevor-7 is a good gun too.  My own logic and criteria though, is the point of the heavier round is to increase effective range.  There are few settings where at 50 yards .308 would have been that much more effective than 5.56, in my opinion.  But at 200 yards+, that difference will really start to show up.  Which is where accuracy starts to matter.   And on that note, if my goal is to hit stuff hard at distance, then 6.5 CM start looking the more interesting.  If my goal is effective bullpup for sub 200 yard work, I view 5.56 as just fine (obviously not everyone will agree).  That's why I never really looked that hard at Tavor-7, it wasn't available in creedmoor, and it wasn't sufficiently accurate to justify the $2k pricepoint for hitting stuff at distance.  Obviously, others have other criteria, and it is a pretty bad-ass gun, so definatelly not a mistake to get, if you want a harder hitting 100 yard .308 bullpup.  Though... I think MDRx does all that, and more.
View Quote

They haven't worked out the kinks...they are still having issues with the rifles...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Side question; does the Tavor7 play nice with steel cased ammo? I don’t own any and likely won’t but am now curious in case I see some at a good price.
View Quote

I was told that steel case is not recommended when I bought mine. The primers are too hard and you should expect failures the fire with them. The upside is it really is built for M80, no need to waste additional cash on FGGM or the like.

You will not be disappointed in the Tavor 7, the features out way the detractors and IWI is a solid company that will be around to support the platform.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was told that steel case is not recommended when I bought mine. The primers are too hard and you should expect failures the fire with them. The upside is it really is built for M80, no need to waste additional cash on FGGM or the like.

You will not be disappointed in the Tavor 7, the features out way the detractors and IWI is a solid company that will be around to support the platform.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/477126/909DD2E8-2C6F-460F-B73F-F92ED6F76D48_jpe-1870890.JPG
View Quote

That picture is exactly what I’m gonna do with it. ACOG is next purchase.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]
VERY happy with my 7. Would recommend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top