Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2023 9:23:10 PM EDT
Has a 2.25” bore.  I’m saving cans to fill with cement.  Who has one and can give me tips etc while I wait for it to arrive?  Pictures would be cool too.  I have no clue what sized charge to use.  Guy I bought it from said he would use something like 125 grains of 2f to shoot concrete filled cans.  

I just wanted to own a mortar.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one about 20 years ago.  I saved all the vegi cans and soup cans that are about 16 oz.  I used a 35 mm film canister to measure my powder.  I was building a house at the timend  aasked the contractor to have the cans filled with the extra concrete (filled maybe 50 or 60 of them).  We fired it during the breaks while the house was being built.  I also used full vegi cans and opened vegi cans (contents went everywhere).  The concrete filled cans would go so high they would be a speck when near vertical.  When launched closer to horizontal through the woods you could hear the contacts with branches for about 3-5 seconds.

Definitely a fun unit.  

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Without seeing the powder chamber - or at least seeing the style of the barrel - there's no way to give advice on the charge.

Ideally your mortar has such a chamber. You'll want to measure the volume and there's your max charge. Depending on the projectile you'll likely want somewhere between 150-300gr by volume of Fg.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Grafs has their brand (rebranded Schutzen), Schutzen, and Swiss real BP in stock right now...
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Buddies had one at a recent shoot. Was pretty awesome. Sorry I'm not more help!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Got any pictures? I’m curious what kind of unit we’re talking about. I once attended a cannon shoot where all the locals showed up with all kinds of cannons. Many of them fired bowling balls!

A soup can sized bore sounds fun and projectiles easier to obtain.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]
What’s the feasibility on making darts out of rebar/bar-stock, using cut up soup cans and spray foam as a discarding sabot?

Would have to weld fins on the darts, maybe dip them in used motor oil, or wrapped in a grocery bag as a mould release.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the feasibility on making darts out of rebar/bar-stock, using cut up soup cans and spray foam as a discarding sabot?

Would have to weld fins on the darts, maybe dip them in used motor oil, or wrapped in a grocery bag as a mould release.
View Quote
You're a dangerous man.....
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're a dangerous man.....
View Quote

Well, if you don’t want holes in it, don’t put it down range.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Here is what I have.  We fired it a bit on the 4th.  Was a blast.  Used about 150 grains of 2F.  It works great.  Gonna build a better carriage.  Though this one is easy to move in a hurry.  Gotta watch out for counter battery fire…..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top