Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2018 4:28:00 PM EDT
Just ordered a bunch of air guns yesterday. Like a ton (MP40 Umarex, Luger, Webley, M1911A1, Walter P38 and more).

Reason is, I'm in California and I want to get my kids trained. Boy is 9, girl is 7.
Wife not too much into shooting real firearms for now (got tons of .22LR, she opposes it) so I went the air gun way.

Yesterday we shot for two hours what I had on me already, older air gun pistol, CO2 BBs.
Man, it was so much fun that I ordered 1k USD worth of stuff to play with them kids - going to make it serious.

Among stuff, got the Diana 98k (Pellet).

Anyone has one? I know they are good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool.

You do know you can get air rifles up to .50 cal.

https://www.pyramydair.com/air-rifles
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool.

You do know you can get air rifles up to .50 cal.

https://www.pyramydair.com/air-rifles
View Quote
Thanks brother.
I did, but it's okay to start (for now) with  .177; additionally, this way I can find the 'good looking' non-firearms that also have an historical meaning and the kids can get deeper into the passion (just like me, all of us).
So I MUST select good looking ones (for me, too! No excuses lol)

This Diana I just fell in love with it; supposedly it's a great shooter too; it is reminiscent of a 98K, so there's that too.

Can't wait to shoot with the kids again

ETA: I am looking for a SCOPE for that 98K.
Since I'd like to give it that Nazi sniper look, I am going for older, blued (gloss) look that is probably only among vintage scopes.

Anyone has an idea in mind of an older rimfire scope that could do the trick? Looking on eBay, there seems to be many
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks brother.
I did, but it's okay to start (for now) with  .177; additionally, this way I can find the 'good looking' non-firearms that also have an historical meaning and the kids can get deeper into the passion (just like me, all of us).
So I MUST select good looking ones (for me, too! No excuses lol)

This Diana I just fell in love with it; supposedly it's a great shooter too; it is reminiscent of a 98K, so there's that too.

Can't wait to shoot with the kids again

ETA: I am looking for a SCOPE for that 98K.
Since I'd like to give it that Nazi sniper look, I am going for older, blued (gloss) look that is probably only among vintage scopes.

Anyone has an idea in mind of an older rimfire scope that could do the trick? Looking on eBay, there seems to be many
View Quote
They do make repro zf scopes....not sure you can mount it like the original, but you can get a modern scope with that same look.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They do make repro zf scopes....not sure you can mount it like the original, but you can get a modern scope with that same look.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
One big problem with modern scopes is that, unless designed for it, the forward impulse at the end of the piston travel of spring airguns has a tendency to break the scope.

Older Steel tube Weaver's don't really seem to have that problem for the reticule adjustments are more robust, though heavy recoil in either direction can break the wires.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One big problem with modern scopes is that, unless designed for it, the forward impulse at the end of the piston travel of spring airguns has a tendency to break the scope.

Older Steel tube Weaver's don't really seem to have that problem for the reticule adjustments are more robust, though heavy recoil in either direction can break the wires.
View Quote
That's awesome to know - didn't know at all.
And very useful, too.

Looked up the price of a ZF41 and it's out of question: too expensive. It would be as expensive as the rifle itself (around USD400) which is actually common for glass, as we know - but this is truly just a plinker.
SO I am going the direction of older - vintage - rimfire, gloss blued scopes.

There's a ton out there. Just need to make sure they are still functional and they will be good to go.

I think I want it on there mostly for looks and a little function anyway - so it's gotta be gloss blue (REAL blue, not that anodized black of our days that some still call bluing)
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I know you're looking at older scopes, but most can't handle a spring pistol air rifle. Check out Hawke and the ChairGun app. I have two Hawkes on my air rifles and both have been excellent. PM if you'd like to know more.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know you're looking at older scopes, but most can't handle a spring pistol air rifle. Check out Hawke and the ChairGun app. I have two Hawkes on my air rifles and both have been excellent. PM if you'd like to know more.
View Quote
Thanks brother; I got something, I'll show you what I got, hang on must take a picture.

ETA: Vintage Weaver K4 60-B El Paso Scope

This is the auction, will post it on the rifle later - seems to work perfectly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
And here it is. Looks great, naturally.
Considering that it is a 400USD air rifle, it's rather good stuff.

Pictured along with a '43 Mauser, an Umarex P38 and a '45 Mauser P38.

BBs vs Real Steel
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top