Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/4/2021 8:11:07 PM EDT
I love recoil and booms and such, but I'm pretty sure this a bit past my comfort level.  Trying to get it on paper and zeroed at 50yd somewhat, I planned to take it over to the longer range and then get it proper at a couple hundred yards. But after about 8 shots and getting it zero @ 50yds... I was pretty much done.  I'll take it out a couple hundred yards some other time.  My sinuses and head just felt foggy the rest of the day.

The recoil was really not that bad.  Sharp and quick, but not any worse than 12ga magnums through a light shotgun or something.  But that concussion... every shot feels like my face just did a bellyflop off the high-dive.  Squeezing slowly and letting the surprise me for an accurate shot is impossible.  I'm thinking maybe a less substantial muzzle brake; more recoil into my shoulder has got to be better than the concussion hitting my face.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you able to get out from under the shed? You might be able to mitigate some of the concussion by being out in the open.
And that looks like a pretty short barrel, you're probably igniting a lot of gas past the muzzle. If you still have some bucks left to drop in the shredder you could go suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you able to get out from under the shed? You might be able to mitigate some of the concussion by being out in the open.
And that looks like a pretty short barrel, you're probably igniting a lot of gas past the muzzle. If you still have some bucks left to drop in the shredder you could go suppressed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a covered shooting bay, completely open front and back. Only the roof is covered.  But I'm sure the roof still wasn't helping any.

It's a 30" barrel.  Not sure how much longer you'd expect a .50 rifle to be... probably just an odd camera angle.  It's a beast.

Quoted:
You can try calling Serbu and asking if you can get one of his Shark brakes. Looks like yours has an AR-50 brake on it and yes, they put out a lot gas. Usually the shooter gets a little and bystanders get to feel the most of it. What's your barrel length?

30" Nitrided with an Armalite Tank Brake
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
You will get used to it and double ear pro is a must.   I shot a little over 30rnds my first time and felt like I took a knock to the head.

Pro tip: If you shoot an AR50 style brake from the prone, sprinkle some cocoa powder on the ground in front and sides of muzzle brake.
If you're going to get a bunch of crap in your mouth, might as well flavor it a little.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, this is why I'm glad @buckshot_jim sold his .50 BMG.  I'll never again shoot a .50 BMG w/ a muzzle brake.  Long straight bbl or w/ a suppressor, maybe.  The concussion can't be good for your brain, and given what we know about TBI, that shit is cumulative.  So, as someone said, you might get used to it - just like boxers get used to getting punched in the face.  But they talk funny.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Pneumagger

I have the same brake on my AR50 and just shot it yesterday at the local Range which has coverings on the benches just like you described and it is definitely worse there than it is in my backyard in the open. At the Range about 5 rounds was all I really wanted, I finished the rest at the house. This is my first big 50 and I found out the recommendation to use double hearing protection was well warranted. LOL.

Rokchukrslave

Now that was funny.

Steve......
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  @backbencher

In fairness, my brain wasn't all that great before the 50
View Quote

Yes, but a muzzle brake that makes the crayons taste better isn't something you should feed.

I'm delighted that .50 BMG firearms are readily available to Americans and that you can drop a .50 BMG upper onto your AR lower & go to town.  I just think in light of what we've learned about TBI in the last 20 years should color how we shoot these, particularly w/ muzzlebrakes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You will get used to it and double ear pro is a must.   I shot a little over 30rnds my first time and felt like I took a knock to the head.

Pro tip: If you shoot an AR50 style brake from the prone, sprinkle some cocoa powder on the ground in front and sides of muzzle brake.
If you're going to get a bunch of crap in your mouth, might as well flavor it a little.
View Quote

Yeah, I just had muffs. I'll be sure to bring plugs too next time.

Quoted:
OP, this is why I'm glad @buckshot_jim sold his .50 BMG.  I'll never again shoot a .50 BMG w/ a muzzle brake.  Long straight bbl or w/ a suppressor, maybe.  The concussion can't be good for your brain, and given what we know about TBI, that shit is cumulative.  So, as someone said, you might get used to it - just like boxers get used to getting punched in the face.  But they talk funny.
View Quote

Yeah, I played football all through HS and college and it felt like I took a couple good shots to the dome.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Overhead cover is the devil with the big boomers for sure.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the AR-50 Brake on my highly modified Benchrest State Arms and shoot about 120 rounds in a weekend at the FCSA Matches I shoot.  My SA has a 34" K&P Barrel and the action is bedded into a Manners Carbon Fiber Stock. Total gun weight with NF NXS Scope is 38.5 pounds.

I wear plugs and Electronic Muffs and have no issues with any type of "blast" .  When the rifle had the original "Fish Gill" brake, I felt a lot of blast and the recoil was punishing, to say the least. The Armalite brake cured felt recoil, and basically eliminated felt "blast".

Make sure you are positioned behind the gun, and not offset to either side. Also, make sure you have your mouth closed when firing. It reduces felt concussion.

Note: I'm pushing Lehigh 808 Solids at near 2800 fps with my handloads. So it isn't a light load.

I hope you learn to enjoy your rifle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll never forget the first shot that I fired from my Steyr HS-50.
I eased out my breathe while slowly pulling the trigger, not knowing when it was going to fire.
I happened to breathe in a bit right when it went off, my first thought was that my new rifle blew up.
The blast and powder really cleared my sinuses.

That was with Barrett ammo, it's loaded hotter than some other factory ammo.
The Steyr weighs 28.5 pounds so recoil is not too bad, Especially with other brands of ammo.
But the brake design sends the blast right to my face.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love recoil and booms and such, but I'm pretty sure this a bit past my comfort level.  Trying to get it on paper and zeroed at 50yd somewhat, I planned to take it over to the longer range and then get it proper at a couple hundred yards. But after about 8 shots and getting it zero @ 50yds... I was pretty much done.  I'll take it out a couple hundred yards some other time.  My sinuses and head just felt foggy the rest of the day.

The recoil was really not that bad.  Sharp and quick, but not any worse than 12ga magnums through a light shotgun or something.  But that concussion... every shot feels like my face just did a bellyflop off the high-dive.  Squeezing slowly and letting the surprise me for an accurate shot is impossible.  I'm thinking maybe a less substantial muzzle brake; more recoil into my shoulder has got to be better than the concussion hitting my face.
View Quote

Your just used to shooting puny rifles.
The AR brake is very effective.
Having tried almost every style of brake from tank to big bertha, your not going to find a better brake.
Get out from under cover.
Wear plug and muff combo.
If you can't take the blast after that, sell it.
It's never going to get milder, unless you load your own mild rounds.
SJC
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]
my steyr was rough at high altitude 6000-7000', I'd get a headache from the blast around 35rds..at low altitude it was much more pleasurable
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes the blast can be a bit much, but we have one end of the covered range that the roof is 15" or so up. That is where we shoot 50's and other very loud firearms. I shot about 60 rounds out of mine under that end of the range and it was much better than the end where the roof is at 8 feet.

Greg
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Supposedly the Armalite style brake with the wings is more pleasant for the shooter but you definitely need to get out from under that structure. It's noticeable.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep. Shooting under any type of cover is ten times more concussive than out in the open. Hope you get it squared OP. I like the silencer option
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's a covered shooting bay, completely open front and back. Only the roof is covered.  But I'm sure the roof still wasn't helping any.
View Quote

It is 100% the roof; it's going to skullfuck you every time you pull the trigger.

I don't even want to shoot a 5.56 with overhead cover if I can avoid it, to hell with doing it with a .50 BMG

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Like others I'd guess it's the shooting bays.  All my experience with a .50 has been with an M82 out in the open and I didn't find the blast to be bad when I was behind the gun, nor was the noise horrible and I only had muffs on.  I remember being surprised at the time because I had been used to shooting a .338 Lapua and those are fucking loud.

I can tell you my uncle has a Lapua that we'd take to his outdoor range and if you shoot that under the bays it is insanely loud and sets off car alarms.  I'd double up on ear pro and it'd still ring my noggin when it went off.  But out in the open the Lapua isn't near as bad.  I'd guess the same can be said for the .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a McMillan TAC-50 for a while.  While I appreciated its ability to disable a truck engine at 1000 yards, it just wasn't any fun to shoot.  So I sold it.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top