Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2018 7:08:39 PM EDT
Like the title says, I bought an imbel kit.

What exactly do I need to build an fal?

Thinking about a DSA receiver. Are these any good?

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You just need a receiver, supposedly 922 compliance parts and a bunch of tools-- timing rods, receiver wrench, barrel vice, pin gauges, (lathe, files, or sanding disks to set barrel at proper index in receiver).  I'd also strongly recommend gunplumbers video and workbook on how to do everything.  You really need to build about 3 at a minimum to break even.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a receiver (DSA seems to be the only game in town), then you need Gunplumber (Arizona Response Systems). Either his building tutorials or his services. His service will get you an utterly reliable, heirloom battle rifle, it's easier to ship off the parts to him and let the last remaining FAL craftsman do his work.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need a receiver (DSA seems to be the only game in town), then you need Gunplumber (Arizona Response Systems). Either his building tutorials or his services. His service will get you an utterly reliable, heirloom battle rifle, it's easier to ship off the parts to him and let the last remaining FAL craftsman do his work.
View Quote
I’ve read about Gunplumber before. Is his work expensive?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Assuming that it came with all of the parts, it just needs a receiver and building tools.  Sometimes the parts are missing things, like the locking shoulder, for example, although even if it has one you may need to get a different one.

Best receiver is an IMBEL, obviously, for a build on an IMBEL Type 3 kit (unless you have one of the few Type 2 kits).  I think Pars still has them available and you can find them on sites like the FAL Files.

Build tools can include the receiver wrench, cheater bar for leverage, bench vise, vise blocks for the barrel, buttstock tool, bolt disassembly tool, headspace gauges, and pin or rod guages to determine locking shoulder size (FN used rods, but these are uncommon; pin gauges are usually used).  You'll also need timing rods or some other way to ensure proper alignment.  Hammer and punches will also be of use, as well as a few sizes of screwdriver.  Mark Graham's guide can be handy to have if you're unsure of anything or want some more technical knowledge.

If there are any issues with the parts or the way they come together (like the barrel not timing within the ideal range when installed by hand only), and you don't have the tools, machinery, skills, and expertise to fix the problems, the best bet is to go to one of the expert FAL gunsmiths like Mark Graham, Terry Bridwell, Randy Kline, et al.

It should be noted that FN headspauce gauges are sized differently than commercial American ones.

I don't even concern myself with 922r anymore.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
His prices are the highest out of all the FAL experts AFAIK, but he's also the number one guy in the field and probably the best equipped and with the largest inventory of parts.  The others aren't that far behind him, price-wise.  For simple builds, any of them will do.  I'd go with whoever had the best price and wait time if you decided you did not want to do the build yourself.  For the most extreme problems there's no one better than Graham.  But some of the other guys can take care of some rather serious issues, too.  Terry Bridwell repaired a barrel that another gunsmith local to me nearly ruined.  Very few people thought it was possible to make serviceable again.  I think Mark Graham and maybe one other expert thought it was possible, as did Terry.  He fixed it and rebuilt my FAL for less than the cost of a comparable replacement barrel (Steyr in excellent condition and no finish wear, cut down to 17") and had a fast turn-around time at that time (no more than a few weeks there and back).
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think Pars still has them available and you can find them on sites like the FAL Files
View Quote
Pars?  Link?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Assuming that it came with all of the parts, it just needs a receiver and building tools.  Sometimes the parts are missing things, like the locking shoulder, for example, although even if it has one you may need to get a different one.

Best receiver is an IMBEL, obviously, for a build on an IMBEL Type 3 kit (unless you have one of the few Type 2 kits).  I think Pars still has them available and you can find them on sites like the FAL Files.

Build tools can include the receiver wrench, cheater bar for leverage, bench vise, vise blocks for the barrel, buttstock tool, bolt disassembly tool, headspace gauges, and pin or rod guages to determine locking shoulder size (FN used rods, but these are uncommon; pin gauges are usually used).  You'll also need timing rods or some other way to ensure proper alignment.  Hammer and punches will also be of use, as well as a few sizes of screwdriver.  Mark Graham's guide can be handy to have if you're unsure of anything or want some more technical knowledge.

If there are any issues with the parts or the way they come together (like the barrel not timing within the ideal range when installed by hand only), and you don't have the tools, machinery, skills, and expertise to fix the problems, the best bet is to go to one of the expert FAL gunsmiths like Mark Graham, Terry Bridwell, Randy Kline, et al.

It should be noted that FN headspauce gauges are sized differently than commercial American ones.

View Quote
If I only want one FAL is it worth my time and money to do it myself? I have the desire to do it myself just because I want to and I built my ar and if it’s worth my time I’ll build this rifle too.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pars?  Link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think Pars still has them available and you can find them on sites like the FAL Files
Pars?  Link?
Sounded like you have to call and leave a message and they call you back with where to send payment, FFL info, etc. $579 plus shipping was the price I saw posted by someone else.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:38:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I only want one FAL is it worth my time and money to do it myself? I have the desire to do it myself just because I want to and I built my ar and if it’s worth my time I’ll build this rifle too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.  See if you can borrow the tools, or buy them and then sell them off afterwards.  Certain tools are useful to have anyways, though, like the buttstock and bolt disassembly tools, punches, screwdrivers, etc.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sure.  See if you can borrow the tools, or buy them and then sell them off afterwards.  Certain tools are useful to have anyways, though, like the buttstock and bolt disassembly tools, punches, screwdrivers, etc.
View Quote
Does this subforum have a loaner program like some of the other subforums?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a couple built with Coonan receivers....they are nice if you can still get them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#12]
You can get a lot of good FAL information over at the falfiles.com.  Plus, you may find some folks near where you are that would be happy to help you with their FAL tools and assist you in building your first FAL.  That's what I would do if you were close to me in NM.  The folks that step up for helping, attending events are generally good people.  Take me for instance, I'm generally good but oftentimes an asshole...   YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Imbel kit begs for an Imbel upper receiver.

922r Compliance Parts ...

Stock
Pistol Grip
Handguard
Trigger
Hammer
Sear
Gas Piston or Muzzle Device

FAL has 17 listed parts.  Stay at 10 or less imported and its legal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
No.

Call Mark Graham (aka "Gunplumber" aka Arizona Response Systems) and have him assemble it.  It'll be right, it'll be 100% functional, and it'll be beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I started having FALs assembled from parts kits in the mid-90's when the parts kits started flooding the market.  While I'm 100% capable of assembling one myself I always elected to have someone else do it.

I had some "FrankenFALs" assembled by Todd (now deceased) at Ohio Rapid Fire as well as ARS, and others.

At some point I started direct ordering FALs from DSA (around 2007).  Around 2009 I sold all of those as well.

In the end, I ended up with a factory built / preban / imported by Springfield Armory Imbel (SAR-48).

ETA: Unless you want a gun that is worth less assembled than it will be sold parted out ... sell that kit and look for a SAR-48. Otherwise, call ARS, spend the money, and get a FrankenFAL that cost $500-750 more than you'll be able to sell it for.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ETA: Unless you want a gun that is worth less assembled than it will be sold parted out ... sell that kit and look for a SAR-48. Otherwise, call ARS, spend the money, and get a FrankenFAL that cost $500-750 more than you'll be able to sell it for.
View Quote
Not everyone is concerned with resale value.  Some of us build guns in order to shoot them.  Or for historical interest.  Or a combination thereof.

For what the factory SAR-48s are going for, I don't see the benefit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mark Graham knows what he is doing, yes.  He is also a world class asshole with a God complex who looks down his nose at his customers.  There are fine FAL gunsmiths out there that won’t treat you like a moron.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mark Graham knows what he is doing, yes.  He is also a world class asshole with a God complex who looks down his nose at his customers.  There are fine FAL gunsmiths out there that won’t treat you like a moron.
View Quote
Man, at least two of your four posts have been about how Mark seemingly treats all of his customers. He must have touched you in a bad place. As previously stated in another thread, don't act like a moron and you won't be treated like one. All of my dealings with him have been fine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know, but plenty of folks over on the FAL Files have loaned out stuff (including by mail) or helped people with the build if they were locals.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Front Line Armory is who I used for my Rhodesian FAL build last year. He barreled, headspaced with locking shoulder for only $100. He was considerably cheaper than gunplumber and I highly recommend him. He got my rifle turned around in less than a week and it functions great!

http://frontlinearmory.com/gunsmithing/pricing/fal_pricing.html
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Front Line Armory is who I used for my Rhodesian FAL build last year. He barreled, headspaced with locking shoulder for only $100. He was considerably cheaper than gunplumber and I highly recommend him. He got my rifle turned around in less than a week and it functions great!

http://frontlinearmory.com/gunsmithing/pricing/fal_pricing.html
View Quote
That website is a bit off-putting, front page is two years out of date.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I found someone local to me on the ‘files who assisted me with assembly.

This was back in the day when imbel gear logo receivers were $200 and parts kits were $99.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The days of a cheap FAL kit build are long over.  Go to the FALfiles and research.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The days of a cheap FAL kit build are long over.  Go to the FALfiles and research.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can still do a build for under $1,000 potentially if you are patient and shop around (some of the deals I've seen even recently in the FAL Files Marketplace, and occasionally elsewhere, are incredible; every now and again I'm able to pounce on something being sold well below typical market rates), and can DIY or have someone help you and loan you the tools for free.  This assumes you encounter no serious issues (which is very possible with a newer production DSA receiver, among others).  My latest build, had not my original receiver, barrel, and other parts been stolen in the mail, would have come in under $800 two years ago.  Parts kits from most places were already close to the current prices when I did my first build, which cost me less than $550.

Mark's work is expensive, but you can pretty much be assured that it will work, and that he can fix almost any issue one can encounter on a FAL.  But if you don't need more extensive work done and can DIY, it's a lot of money that you can save (and should, IMO).  Terry Bridwell also does quality work and can do basic assembly just as well as Mark, at a lower price and possibly with a faster turnaround.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, what did you pay for the kit?  That will give us a good base number to start from....
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I posted this over at the FAL files in response to someone's similar question

"My Imbel kit is at a local Gunsmith right now being built. So far, here's the cost breakdown -

What a Country Imbel Kit - $565 (including Shipping)
Pars Imbel NOS Receiver - $570 (Including Shipping)
DSA/Falcon 922r Parts - $150 (Approx)
Gunsmith Services - $250

Total..............................$ 1574.00

Could have been cheaper if I'd waited for a DSArms receiver and ignored 922r (which I would never do, nor recommend!), that would have saved about $325.00

I know that if I had to sell it, even just a day after I pick it up from the Gunsmith, that I couldn't get more than $1200 for it, immediate depreciation!

I actually would get more if I stripped it down and sold off the parts separately!

But the point for me is to have a reliable battle rifle with 70 years or more of history behind it. It's also seeing a de-milled military weapon brought back to life, that's fun."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top