Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2018 7:42:13 PM EDT
I took s ATI side folder i bought at the flea market for $10 and cut off the back of it and installed a VZ-58 side folding stock. I also installed a AK p-grip.

The stock looked like this:

After I got everything sanded smooth I painted the stock OD green.

It turned-out OK and is a pretty trim/solid package that fits just fine in a old GI spare barrel bag.

I had the same 16.25" (threaded) barreled action already in the ATI stock and it worked just fine but was butt-ugly and rattled like crazy.

My only knock on it is that the LOP is about a inch too short but I had to cut away so much of the "knuckle" of the old side folder to get to solid fiber-filled plastic. At least the "shelf" behind the receiver is minimal.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
looks better
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at my pics and decided "Damn, this thing is way too green" so I taped-up the checkered panels on the grip and the textured area on the forearm and painted them black. I also scalloped out the p-grip for the trigger guard that I noticed I forgot to do, and stuck a old 3-prong on the end of it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Kinda gay, but I like it! Thumbs up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I really dig it. Nice work. What sites do you have on that build?
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really dig it. Nice work. What sites do you have on that build?
View Quote
UTG

Ruger sells them in their store but they are much cheaper on eBay. The front sight actually fits over the OEM front sight.

They are not as robust as the Tech Sights I have but they are metal and have served me just as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely looks better than the factory ATI stock.

ETA- You could always glue a rubber pad onto the buttstock to increase the length.  I saw where someone had done that with a VZ stock they'd mounted on a M92 PAP.  I want to say it was just a piece of floor mat glued on and then sanded to shape.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I like what you got going on there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks good, well done.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely looks better than the factory ATI stock.

ETA- You could always glue a rubber pad onto the buttstock to increase the length.  I saw where someone had done that with a VZ stock they'd mounted on a M92 PAP.  I want to say it was just a piece of floor mat glued on and then sanded to shape.
View Quote
The Czechs made a pad that slipped over the butt-plate but the one I ordered for my VZ-58 was dry-rotted with age and cracked. I had to send it back and come to find out the vendor said they were all like that so i never got another.

BTW, I moved the front sight back some and decided to just use a thread protector.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Looking at the original ATI stock all you see is that fat-ass "knuckle" on the back end but in front of that the stock is very trim being just slightly wider than the AK p-grip. It's 1.64" at it's widest as opposed to 1.84" of the trimmest sporter stock I own.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh yeah, I found a polymer mag release in my 10-22 parts box that I must have pulled from a trigger group years ago. It works the opposite of the OEM factory release. You push it to the rear to release the mag, not forward.

I like how it's up and out of the way and is contoured to match the bolt release. I usually cut most of the paddle off a OEM release and round it to a nub.

Sorry, I have no idea who made it.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top